Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITV "Unforgotten" features man killed by fountain pen 35 years ago!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default ITV "Unforgotten" features man killed by fountain pen 35 years ago!

We're watching the latest series of ITV's 'Unforgotten" and when we watched episode 5 from Monday evening we were surprised to find that the man who was killed 35 years ago was killed by being stabbed by a fountain pen.
    They even mocked up an online picture of a non-existent fountain pen brand to show what type of pen it was. On the mock up there was a pen that looked similar to a Parker Sonnet. The actual pen that was 35 years old and was found embedded in the man's skull that had been frozen for many years, then thawed out, looks like something in between a Parker and a Waterman but is difficult to pinpoint.

Anyone else see it and have any ideas? https://www.itv.com/hub/unforgotten/2a3372a0023
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 24th, 2021), Jon Szanto (September 9th, 2021), Morgaine (March 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: ITV "Unforgotten" features man killed by fountain pen 35 years ago!

As a result of public outcry, there's a bill pending in Commons requiring all fountain pens be registered, and large capacity pens banned outright.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 26th, 2021), manoeuver (August 19th, 2021), Ole Juul (March 26th, 2021), Stands on Feet (March 24th, 2021), TFarnon (April 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Well, as someone who hadn't watched this week's episode yet, that was a bit of a spoiler....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 20th, 2021), damfino (August 18th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Well, as someone who hadn't watched this week's episode yet, that was a bit of a spoiler....
    Oh I'm so sorry. We didn't watch it until last night either. But at least you knew from last week's episode that he had been stabbed in the head by something that was sharp and pointed.
    Death by fountain pen is a tad unusual though. Didn't bend the nib at all....

Thanks

[QUOTE=Chrissy
    Didn't bend the nib at all....[/QUOTE]

Oh thank goodness for that!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

amk (September 11th, 2021), Chrissy (March 24th, 2021), manoeuver (August 19th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Oh I'm so sorry. We didn't watch it until last night either. But at least you knew from last week's episode that he had been stabbed in the head by something that was sharp and pointed.
    Death by fountain pen is a tad unusual though. Didn't bend the nib at all....
    Don't be sorry - my mother would have blabbed anyway! I try to save these to watch a couple at a time as I like the series so much and find it curiously unsatisfying to only watch one episode. I suppose we've go so used to binge-watching series now that I'm not good at waiting for next week's instalment.

Thanks

I know what you mean. It seems like it'a only just started to get really interesting and it's the last one in the series next week....

Thanks

When fountain pens are outlawed only outlaws will have fountain pens.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Whomever did it was not a pen person. Wouldn't happen.... their first thought would be, "WHAT, risk ruining my nib??"

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

amk (September 11th, 2021), Chrissy (March 26th, 2021), Frank (September 10th, 2021), Ole Juul (March 26th, 2021), TFarnon (April 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Well, he was a numbskull.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Well, he was a numbskull.
    He definitely was after the pen went into his skull and stayed there for 35 years while he was in a freezer.

Thanks

Maybe it is only safe to carry soft and flexible nibs, not firm or hard, and delicious wet noodles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Radonactionservices For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Whomever did it was not a pen person. Wouldn't happen.... their first thought would be, "WHAT, risk ruining my nib??"
    Indeed. Especially as this particular pen turned out to be a very valuable, numbered and very low limited edition of a pen that was worth approximately £4000 some 30 odd years ago. Allegedly the store even found the details of the buyer and in providing them to the police solved the case. No-one we all know would use such a valuable pen like that was meant to be, as a murder weapon.
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 19th, 2021 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks

Unforgotten didn't run in the United States until this past summer (episode 6 was last Sunday), so when I saw this thread in March, I had to pretend I didn't see it/erase it from my mind! I tried, but in the very first episode, they showed two suspects using a fountain pen, so I kind of figured it out but not the motive. Really like this show--and I've read that there will be one more season (despite, er, developments in ep. 6).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damfino View Post
    Unforgotten didn't run in the United States until this past summer (episode 6 was last Sunday), so when I saw this thread in March, I had to pretend I didn't see it/erase it from my mind! I tried, but in the very first episode, they showed two suspects using a fountain pen, so I kind of figured it out but not the motive. Really like this show--and I've read that there will be one more season (despite, er, developments in ep. 6).
    Sorry if my thread affected the way you watched the show but at least you didn't know all of the story or the perp.

Thanks

No worries! Just happened to see it--really, I had to laugh about it, since I had forgotten that many of the shows I love are British and air long before they come to the US, so I have to be careful of social media.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to damfino For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 20th, 2021)

Thanks

Well, that's one way to deal with annoying people. Just stab them in the head with a fountain pen and chuck them in the freezer.

What kind of pen is best for that anyway?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Well, that's one way to deal with annoying people. Just stab them in the head with a fountain pen and chuck them in the freezer.

An inexpensive one that you don't mind losing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post

An inexpensive one that you don't mind losing?
    Just use a pen with a manifold nib. They were made for multiple carbon copies so the nib will withstand anything. So if you want vintage, you can use a relatively cheap (in the 50s and 60s) Pelikan 120 with a DF nib.

Thanks

That's what the Sheaffer Triumph nib was designed for. Tremendous strength and penetrating power.