Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebonite vs. Acrylic Resin in Santini pens

Thanks

Default Re: Ebonite vs. Acrylic Resin in Santini pens

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr259 View Post
    How's the Santini after 5 months? I got the same pen and nib as you but in the bronze mid 2020 and it's probably my favourite pen, definitely top 3. Mine's very wet for a fine, maybe due to the bounce of the flexy nib so the line is maybe more of a medium at times but that's ok. I don't feel it flexes much but it's definitely soft and bouncy.
    I like this pen (Libra Cumberland Gold) very much and use it whenever I can. I can't say it's my favorite because I like every one of my 10 pens in rotation. Each has its own personality and is different than the others. The Santini definitely looks different than the others.

The F flexy nib is a little bit disappointing. With very little pressure, the stroke seems more like a Medium than a Fine. Also, it doesn't spring back from flex very quickly. Otherwise, I love this pen. As Zephyr259 says, the nib feels soft and bouncy. The size of the pen is perfect.
    Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marbled M205, Santini Libra Cumberland Gold ebonite, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

This may be a somewhat odd place to put it, but after reading about these pens for a few months I decided to get serious about the Cumberland/bronze model, only to find out (and confirm with Katrina) that the run of 33 pens is sold out.

So if anyone has a Libra Cumberland in bronze/rose gold that isn't making them happy, let me know.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I hate to see a post go unanswered for too long, so I'll give a bit of info. This is bearing in mind that I don't have any Santini pens, but simply addressing the materials difference.

I can't honestly talk about the quantitative difference in cost, as only the end user will be the one to justify the higher ebonite price. Acrylic pens will likely come in more flamboyant colors, and frequently more color choices. I believe, though would not swear to this, that the acrylic is easier to machine, and that the ebonite requires either more time, skill or slightly different tools. One thing I can say is that most people - including me - believe there is a difference in feel, in your hand, with ebonite. I find it warms up faster and stays comfortable warm in hand, giving you the impression is it somehow softer. In two pens of identical size, the ebonite pen will also weigh a bit more, so you can get a thinner pen but still have some heft in hand. As to eventual pricing, I could point out that even in pen brands (say, from India) who primarily use ebonite, the modern combination of colors produces premium lines of material, and lesser, less complex patterns that aren't priced as high. There are also differences in quality (and control) - cheap hard rubber can have inconsistencies, little bits of stuff, etc. Good HR can be very smooth. Finally, there is the faint (hopefully) odor/aroma: ebonite is hard rubber, and if you rub the barrel and sniff, it will smell like a bicycle tire.

Since this was the material that fountain pens were originally made from, it has stood the test of time and even when I purchase a modern pen, I feel like I am reaching back in time. Even in a very non-flashy material and design, it can be a nice bit of warm elegance. I don't buy a lot of ebonite pens, but I do enjoy them. Oddly enough, I recently got a more entry-level pen from Narwhal, a recent entry in piston fillers. All their first pens were fairly bright, patterned acrylic, but in celebration of their first year, they made the same pen in a dark black/red ebonite. It is a remarkably good pen, holds a good amount of ink, has an ink window, and while I chose to put a favorite old Sheaffer nib in, their in-house nib worked well. Their acrylic pens sell for $45-55 and this one, which also included a wooden presentation box and leather slip cover, was $80. (photo below)

Maybe this will give you a bit of perspective on the materials choice, and I hope others might chime in. Since the point is to help you out, I might also suggest asking over at the Fountain Pen Network, which has a very active Italian subforum and quite a few Santini owners. Good luck!

I now have 3 Narwhals, including this one. They are truly tough to beat for the money (or actually by any other objective measure).