Thread: Pen.Wing.Stationary

Thanks

Default Pen.Wing.Stationary

Anyone have any experience with this eBay seller; specifically their different urushi pens? I’ve seen a topic on this seller in particular about making statements “over valuing” their pens, but from what I read everything they sell is legitimate as far as no false branding or knockoffs. Just not sure about the pens they sell that are lacquered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: Pen.Wing.Stationary

I wish to. make clear that the comments I am about to offer are general comments and do not refer to any specific seller on any specific site.

True Maki-e is a traditional art form that is hand done and extremely labor intensive. Some sellers have referred to pens as maki-e that are actually screen printed, and more recently some sellers have offered pens whose seemingly intricate artwork is actually stickers that have been applied and then covered with lacquer. Once they were challenged on the authenticity of what they were offering, some of these sellers coined new terms such as "Urushi art" or "modern maki-e".

In addition, I would point out that not all Urushi work is the same. In fact, not all Urushi itself is the same.

I think buyers of these products are best served by knowing with whom they are dealing, or at least knowing how to tell the difference in quality levels so they can avoid unpleasant and costly surprises.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

bebox (March 29th, 2021), Jon Szanto (March 29th, 2021), pajaro (April 11th, 2021), Robert (March 29th, 2021), Yazeh (March 29th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Whichwatch speaks the truth.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

bebox (March 29th, 2021), pajaro (April 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Would you think that the pens that are just lacquered without the designs would be a real urushi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,257 Times in 2,258 Posts

If you haven't checked it, there is a thread on FPN, which might be helpful...