Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Shows Return: what'd you hear?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Pen Shows Return: what'd you hear?

Just saw Frank post on FB about DC:
    no updates on the de show website.

Chicago is on for late September.

San Fran happening in August.

Baltimore/Washington is cancelled.

No updates I've seen for Colorado or Ohio.

I've seen posts about various European shows.

I think imma try to make it to Chicago this year. If OH happens I'll be there, unsure if I'll be a sponsor again.

Who's trying to go to a show this year? Who's holding off for another year?

Junior Member Lillian R. Stevenson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Pen Shows Return: what'd you hear?

Hey! I agree with your opinion and would like to sustain support in this matter. If you suddenly have any questions, then you can contact me. I studied to be a teacher and I can definitely help you in this matter!
    Online essay writer in WriteMyPaperBro company!pay someone to write my paper cheap? Contact to us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian R. Stevenson View Post
    Hey! I agree with your opinion and would like to sustain support in this matter. If you suddenly have any questions, then you can contact me. I studied to be a teacher and I can definitely help you in this matter!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

blopplop (April 7th, 2021), Detman101 (March 31st, 2021), Jerome Tarshis (April 15th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 31st, 2021)

Thanks

I'm all vaccinated and expect to have a table at Chicago, DC (assuming it happens), and Ohio all later this year.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

damfino (April 3rd, 2021), manoeuver (March 30th, 2021)

Thanks

These spammer are a PITA. Genuine thread and along come these numpties.

Back to OP. I undertsand that there is a need to return to normality but pen shows

by their very nature are risky places, you are stood shoulder to shoulder to others from

all over the world and you are all handling the same goods, breathing the same recirculated air.

The current lockdown does not allow for these superspreader events, when lockdown eases will we

see a third wave of deaths and infections?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Until I hear something different from Mike Walker, the Dallas Pen Show is planned at our usual dates (September 24th and 25th).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (March 31st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,041 Times in 4,011 Posts

I heard that the Triangle Pen Show in NC is planning to be on. I am totally waiting until much closer to any of these show dates to make plans. Too much can change too fast, and thinking that all the bad stuff is behind us is folly. And that is coming from someone who is a month past their 2nd vaccination.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 30th, 2021), Detman101 (March 31st, 2021), manoeuver (March 31st, 2021)

Thanks

If the shows go ahead, we must measure the risk against the benefits, that will be a personal decision, just because the show goes ahead it does not mean any level of safety.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 30th, 2021), Detman101 (March 31st, 2021), manoeuver (March 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    I undertsand that there is a need to return to normality but pen shows

by their very nature are risky places, you are stood shoulder to shoulder to others from

all over the world and you are all handling the same goods, breathing the same recirculated air.

The current lockdown does not allow for these superspreader events, when lockdown eases will we

see a third wave of deaths and infections?
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    If the shows go ahead, we must measure the risk against the benefits, that will be a personal decision, just because the show goes ahead it does not mean any level of safety.
    obviously folks are going to have to determine their risk tolerance. The pen community exhibits an intriguing split.

I think we'll see later on that covid accelerated the culture shift from the old-school collector culture to the new-school user/fanatic culture.

I think a decent portion of showgoers and vendors have already attended their last show (in 2019) without realizing it at the time.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 30th, 2021), RobJohnson (March 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    I think we'll see later on that covid accelerated the culture shift from the old-school collector culture to the new-school user/fanatic culture.
    Another interesting epochal change is going to come fairly quickly, when the new-school decides they are bored with this fad and move on to something else, leaving piles of gaudy pens sitting around. Old-school mindset was/is more like antique or art collection curation, new-school skews far closer to the Beanie Baby craze and similar faddish collecting. When it all shakes out, one wonders what will be left of both audiences.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (March 31st, 2021), TFarnon (April 18th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ...When it all shakes out, one wonders what will be left of both audiences.
    Vintage Commodore keyboards.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 30th, 2021), manoeuver (March 31st, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 31st, 2021), TFarnon (April 18th, 2021)

Thanks

Another interesting epochal change is going to come fairly quickly, when the new-school decides they are bored with this fad and move on to something else, leaving piles of gaudy pens sitting around. Old-school mindset was/is more like antique or art collection curation, new-school skews far closer to the Beanie Baby craze and similar faddish collecting. When it all shakes out, one wonders what will be left of both audiences.
    big if true, I guess we'll see. I think/hope there will be a core of lifers that will continue to revere the stuff.
    You're more in tune with the reddit contingent than I, it does seem like the churn there could be significant.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    This is one of the reasons why I try to bring awareness of the "appreciative collection" -mentality to the "new-school" generation.

I choose to be optimistic and paint a bright future where the number of people who appreciate fountain pens, whether it's 110 years old or the newest model, will increase. In other words, when 1000 got bored, 1500 would take their place.
    - Will

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

damfino (April 3rd, 2021), eachan (April 1st, 2021), Jon Szanto (March 31st, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 31st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I choose to be optimistic and paint a bright future where the number of people who appreciate fountain pens, whether it's 110 years old or the newest model, will increase. In other words, when 1000 got bored, 1500 would take their place.
    That is what I would wish as well. I don't consider that optimism, but simply wishful thinking. When I watch the trends of the new school of pen acquisition, I am not being pessimistic or optimistic but realistic: trying to objectively observe behavior and trends with no judgment.

There is an entire world out there but I get a lot of observational info from two sources: the reddit fp forum, and the Pen Addict slack. reddit has a really high proportion of true noobs, out to buy their first pen. OTOH, the PA group are the young, known players who are buying and buying and buying... and selling and selling and selling. "Catch and release" is not just an idle phrase with these people. You see collections by color, by brand, etc. Even though a few steps above the reddit group in terms of economics and scale (and, yes, there are newcomers there, as well), it still exhibits a temporary vibe, one that will go away when they start a family or move on to other interests or whatever.

I might be off-base, but it is the manner in which pens are acquired and divested that seems functionally different than standard collectibles. It is true: only time will tell, and we certainly can hope for the best.

Will is always big-hearted about helping out and trying to foster interest in vintage, and is always a person I look to when my similar tendencies start to flag. I *did* have a pretty demoralizing event happen recently, though. There is a young pen/art influecer who has a series on YouTube called "Peter Draws" (I forget his last name). I am quite certain he is a nice guy, but I can't watch him for more than 30 seconds because of his laconic, dorky behavior. But they love him.

To the point that he has almost reached one million followers on YT. 1M. And has a special edition pen now. And still gives dopey pen advice.

I don't hold out any hope at all about what influence I might have on a day-to-day basis when someone like this has orders and orders of magnitude more eyeballs. It is what it is.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 31st, 2021 at 01:10 PM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 1st, 2021), eachan (April 1st, 2021)

Thanks

“But if my life is for rent and I don't learn to buy
    Well, I deserve nothing more than I get
    'Cause nothing I have is truly mine”

- Dido Armstrong, _Life for Rent_

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

So many ifs, including my schedule. I’ll go to DC if not otherwise engaged. I have had the shots, so the only thing that concerns me is whether holding the shows encourages risky behavior, e.g., unvaccinated people flying in planes and crowding in a hotel ballroom to attend/do deals.

I haven’t been able to see family in Canada through all this. They come first, so if we can get together, we will. The pen shows would have to wait.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (April 1st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Be aware that the last venue of the DC show had the most crowded tight spacing on the show floor. They really need to spread out in normal times, let alone in Covid times.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 1st, 2021), CrayonAngelss (April 1st, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (April 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    That is what I would wish as well. I don't consider that optimism, but simply wishful thinking. When I watch the trends of the new school of pen acquisition, I am not being pessimistic or optimistic but realistic: trying to objectively observe behavior and trends with no judgment.

There is an entire world out there but I get a lot of observational info from two sources: the reddit fp forum, and the Pen Addict slack. reddit has a really high proportion of true noobs, out to buy their first pen. OTOH, the PA group are the young, known players who are buying and buying and buying... and selling and selling and selling. "Catch and release" is not just an idle phrase with these people. You see collections by color, by brand, etc. Even though a few steps above the reddit group in terms of economics and scale (and, yes, there are newcomers there, as well), it still exhibits a temporary vibe, one that will go away when they start a family or move on to other interests or whatever.

I might be off-base, but it is the manner in which pens are acquired and divested that seems functionally different than standard collectibles. It is true: only time will tell, and we certainly can hope for the best.

Will is always big-hearted about helping out and trying to foster interest in vintage, and is always a person I look to when my similar tendencies start to flag. I *did* have a pretty demoralizing event happen recently, though. There is a young pen/art influecer who has a series on YouTube called "Peter Draws" (I forget his last name). I am quite certain he is a nice guy, but I can't watch him for more than 30 seconds because of his laconic, dorky behavior. But they love him.

To the point that he has almost reached one million followers on YT. 1M. And has a special edition pen now. And still gives dopey pen advice.

I don't hold out any hope at all about what influence I might have on a day-to-day basis when someone like this has orders and orders of magnitude more eyeballs. It is what it is.
    Do not be disheartened, Jon.

The "new-school" in this hobby, who interact via the subreddit or Slack channels like Pen Addict, (and don't forget the numerous pen-centric discord servers) is accustomed to fast current of information, things come and go in a matter of moments. And if we follow your observation about things are appearing as fads, they are, by definition, temporary at best. Including the ones you pointed out.

My chosen outlook may be a wishful thinking from another angle, but in practice, it has become a pattern of habit for me, just an extra time to take photos of something I enjoy doing anyway, and share it.

And I am not aiming at turning the tide, more like tuning a piano, which is done one string at a time.
    - Will

31. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Turin pen show is programmed for october / november

Thanks

I'm a gloomy gus as far as pen shows and COVID go. I don't think COVID is over, not by a long chalk. Never mind that I'm completely accustomed to wearing a mask for up to 12 hours at a go. Never mind that I've had both of my (Moderna) shots. Never mind that I have a robust immune system, and my gut knows the vaccine "took". I want to attend the SF pen show, but I think this year is just too soon for my sense of safety. My mental cutoff is July--if I think that things are safe in July, I'll see if there are still hotel rooms. If not, the following year.

I know we still have a fourth COVID wave ahead of us. I just watch the people in the stores, on the streets, and everywhere in public, and I mentally track the positivity rate at work. I don't track the numbers per se, but I kind of have a feel for them. Still, I want to go to a pen show. It will be my first. I look forward to it.

I decided already. No pen shows for me in 2021. What decided me? A quick glance at the specimen rack from last night and the length of the ER board. Too many patients. That means too many people at risk of catching or spreading COVID. I suppose it's something that we are back "down" to September-like numbers. September is notorious around the world for high patient numbers.
    Last edited by TFarnon; April 22nd, 2021 at 03:24 AM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (April 25th, 2021)