Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for stationary

Thanks

Default Looking for stationary

I am so regretting all the times I’ve come across high end stationary in boutique-type stores, and thought “I should buy this” and then, “Nah, I don’t write letters to anyone, what’s the use?”

What I do see, in local card shops and such, is cheap, boring stationary sets. I don’t have to have something with matching envelopes, but I do like decorative envelopes. My current favorite papers for fountain pens are Tomoe River, and Munken, the latter being a slightly toothy non-coated Swedish paper that comes in Nuuna journals. I do not like really smooth papers, like Rhodia, though I’m not totally against Clairefontaine, which although smooth, seems a touch more absorbent than Rhodia.

Does anyone know of any online shops that sell nice stationary, or can anyone recommend a brand or type that they use for their own letter writing? I prefer A5 size or larger. Cost isn’t an issue, I want something nice and will pay for quality. I prefer not to have to wait half a year for shipping. As it stands right now, my only choices are either a Tomoe River or Clairefontaine pad.

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Default Re: Looking for stationary

You should include your location in your profile, which will help with replies.

If in the USA, I recommend this vendor who brings a lot of fine stationaries to the pen shows, and then discounts it. Like us, Alan is a pen collector and treats us well.

Alan Cohen
    Office Supplies & More - Crazy Alan's Emporium
    1129 Weaver Dairy Rd Ste Q
    Chapel Hill NC 27514
    https://www.facebook.com/officesuppliesndmore
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 1st, 2021 at 12:23 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

rkesey (January 20th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    You should include your location in your profile, which will help with replies.

If in the USA, I recommend this vendor who brings a lot of fine stationaries to the pen shows, and then discounts it. Like us, Alan is a pen collector and treats us well.

Alan Cohen
    Office Supplies & More - Crazy Alan's Emporium
    1129 Weaver Dairy Rd Ste Q
    Chapel Hill NC 27514
    https://www.facebook.com/officesuppliesndmore
    Sorry, didn’t even think of that. I’m in the US. Thanks for your reply, I will check him out. Hopefully it’s not Facebook only, as I don’t use Facebook.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
    ...Hopefully it’s not Facebook only, as I don’t use Facebook.
    I don't either, but you can see enough through your browser for email and phone contact info.

Thanks

I seems that's not a public page.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Info on Book of Faces:

Crazy Alan's Emporium
    1129 Weaver Dairy Rd,
    Chapel Hill, NC 27514
    (919) 929-8595

https://twitter.com/OSuppliesndmore

I've never done business with them but I'd trust Fred for any advice. Well...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

If you speak with Alan, you might mention your fountain pen interests and that you look forward to seeing him (i.e., buying more) at the next pen show. I have a habit of loading up at pen shows.

Oh, if you want exquisite paper and are willing to pay for it, see comments about Amalfi: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...Arts-of-Dallas

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Stationary bike?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

If you speak with Alan, you might mention your fountain pen interests and that you look forward to seeing him (i.e., buying more) at the next pen show. I have a habit of loading up at pen shows.

Oh, if you want exquisite paper and are willing to pay for it, see comments about Amalfi: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...Arts-of-Dallas
    I saw that thread, and love the looks of that paper...but being an artist, I have some experience trying to actually write on paper like that.
    I prefer something smoother. I didn’t know Papyrus made stationary, I buy their pricey cards all the time. Will look into that brand today.

Thanks

...I didn’t know Papyrus made stationary, I buy their pricey cards all the time. Will look into that brand today.
    Papyrus used to have brick and mortar stores. They're gone, now, and I haven't yet seen the impact on their stationary line. My favorite is(was?) their plain deckled edge sheets and envelopes.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

You can check Fred's post or get the papers/ or envelope here:

If you're looking for toothy paper, I had the chance to get some handmade paper from Germany...The paper is toothy and spectacular... But the shipping wouldn't make it worthwhile and I'm sure there are better alternative in US...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    ...papers/ or envelope here
    Thank you for that link, for it appears Vickerey has other stationaries worth exploring, too: https://www.vickerey.com/paperie-sho...tationery.html. Alan (above) carries G. Lalo, and I'll have to ask him about the others.
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 2nd, 2021 at 09:00 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

rkesey (January 20th, 2022), Yazeh (April 2nd, 2021)

Thanks

...I didn’t know Papyrus made stationary, I buy their pricey cards all the time. Will look into that brand today.
    Papyrus used to have brick and mortar stores. They're gone, now, and I haven't yet seen the impact on their stationary line. My favorite is(was?) their plain deckled edge sheets and envelopes.
    Yes, there was a store in the town next to mine. I never paid much attention there to anything but the cards, but I do remember they had a table set up for people ordering invitations. Not much to be seen on the Papyrus website right now.

Thanks

No clue where to buy stationary...

But for stationery, there are tons of choices... I look for my favorite brands at the best prices I can find. I have little loyalty to vendors. G Lalo, Crane, Smythson are a few traditionalists. Too many new entries in the space to count, some of them are probably very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thanks so much, everyone. I am looking into all these options. I also need to find out how to get my hands on Munken loose paper, the kind that is used in Nuuna journals. The company has a website (Arctic Paper) but I haven’t figured it out yet. To me, their paper is perfection. Thick, sturdy, not slick feeling, no bleed through so back of the paper is pristine, and so pleasing to write on.

I was thinking about something last night....with gold being a soft material, could frequent writing on papers that are more toothy have an eventual negative effect on a gold nib?

Thanks

I was thinking about something last night....with gold being a soft material, could frequent writing on papers that are more toothy have an eventual negative effect on a gold nib?
    For one, gold nibs are not "gold" as such, they're an alloy, usually about half copper in 14K nibs. But in addition to that, you're not writing on the "gold", you're writing on the tipping. Irindium, osmium, etc., are extremely hard metals.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 3rd, 2021), Yazeh (April 3rd, 2021)

Thanks

My current favorite stationary is paper from the Yamamoto Fountain Pen Friendly paper collection which I purchased at Jet Pens. I just fold the sheets in half and put fountain pen ink art on them. (See Nick Stewart Quink and Bleach for ideas). Currently I am teaching a six week class on pens and inks at lifelong.utah.edu. My next class is Gothic- may 19.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    For one, gold nibs are not "gold" as such, they're an alloy, usually about half copper in 14K nibs. But in addition to that, you're not writing on the "gold", you're writing on the tipping. Irindium, osmium, etc., are extremely hard metals.
    Ahh, thank you! I had no idea. I thought gold nibs were all gold. Good to know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Janinutah View Post
    My current favorite stationary is paper from the Yamamoto Fountain Pen Friendly paper collection which I purchased at Jet Pens. I just fold the sheets in half and put fountain pen ink art on them. (See Nick Stewart Quink and Bleach for ideas). Currently I am teaching a six week class on pens and inks at lifelong.utah.edu. My next class is Gothic- may 19.
    I have a Yamamoto notebook, which I like. Whenever I’ve looked at the sampler collection on Jetpens, it’s sold out. Will have to keep trying.

Thanks

The British Company that make Basildon Bond and Three Candlesticks are first class. Available in several sizes, colors, and the best selling stationary sets in UK. Readily available on this side of the pond!