Thread: Parker Vacumatic ID

Thanks

Default Parker Vacumatic ID

I have scoured all of the Parker ID websites that I could find trying to nail down the model and date of this pen. The Vacumatic plunger is plastic which I understand dates it to WW2 and beyond. I see the nib called Golden Web, with the golden arrow and PARKER and USA and 51 stamped below it. Both cap and barrel ends are jeweled. However, the clip is not arrow shaped, but is stamped PARKER with the letters arranged vertically from the top. The longitudinal lines are black alternating with marble brown/green. The capped pen is 5”
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default Re: Parker Vacumatic ID

Parker Striped Duofold, aka., Duovac - Junior: https://parkerpens.net/duovac.html

Post 1942. Is the imprint visible at all?
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Parker Striped Duofold, aka., Duovac - Junior: https://parkerpens.net/duovac.html

I'm not sure what you mean by "imprint".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kappa View Post

The imprint consists of words impressed into the side of the barrel. Over time the barrel can be worn down and the imprint can become faint or disappear entirely.

See the linked image: https://parkerpens.net/bilder_pennor...ess_major_.jpg and https://photobucket.com/albums/n533/...3405932146.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

pajaro (April 3rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Unless it is marked Vacumatic on the barrel and the cap is a replacement you have a Duofold with a replacement nib.

There is not a Golden Web nib.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

pajaro (April 3rd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kappa View Post

The imprint consists of words impressed into the side of the barrel. Over time the barrel can be worn down and the imprint can become faint or disappear entirely.

See the linked image: https://parkerpens.net/bilder_pennor...ess_major_.jpg and https://photobucket.com/albums/n533/...3405932146.jpg
    With the images telling me where to look and a very strong light, I was able to find the imprint on the barrel. I was able to make out the word "Parker"; but only knowing to look for "Duofold" was I able to know that was what followed. I am amazed that the imprint could be as worn; but the overall surface of the upen be so bright and unmarked. It must have been well used and also well cared for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Unless it is marked Vacumatic on the barrel and the cap is a replacement you have a Duofold with a replacement nib.

There is not a Golden Web nib.
    I am curious as to your comment about the nib. I was going by what I saw on a website with a picture of the same nib and it was labeled Golden Web. All I am asking is, “is it possible for this nib to be original?“

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

There was a celluloid body material that was called "Golden Web" but never a Golden Web nib.

The Duovac Duofolds had a pocket clip that was not arrow shaped.

Also none of my Stripped Duofolds have an arrow on the nib; rather the nibs are plain with just the imprints. Your nib is almost certainly a later replacement.

The most likely reason your body is so shiny but the imprints so faint is way to aggressive polishing to make it look shiny. That not an uncommon happening unfortunately.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

pajaro (April 3rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

This post could be titled 'what is in a name' but here goes.

Duovac and Vacufold and Golden Web are NOT Parker names. These all have come from collectors and they have come from the collector community in recent times. (A polite way of saying I've been doing this far longer than I want to admit.)

I know where Vacufold came from. I can guess where Duovac came from. I have no clue about Golden Web. The important thing to remember is these names have no meaning with a Parker source. Golden Web is not such a big issue but it describes the appearance of the pen but it isn't the model name it leaves out the fact that a Reticulated Vacumatic is the black version of the same model. Duovac and Vacuofold describe what are essentially opposite pens that are the same. Vacufold has some basis to be tolerated but nah.

The pen posted is a Duofold. It is not filled with a button but rather filled with a vacumatic pump. I refer to these as vac-filled Duofolds or striped Duofolds. There are Aero-filled Duofolds and even cartridge filled Duofolds along with Modern Duofolds. It seems that Duovac became shorthand for vac-filled Duofold. Similar are vac-filled 51 and Aero-filled 51. They are both 51s and pen with Duofold imprinted on the barrel is a Duofold no matter what filling mechanism it uses. Granted those Aero-filled Duofolds are properly called Duofold AF...

Now the Vacufold. It is a Vacumatic. Not complicated at all. It is imprinted Vacumatic and it is made in a material we associate with a Duofold thus the Vacufold name. Slight other difference it will have a proper Vacumatic clip and nib; it will also have a proper Vacumatic cap band though this band will show up on non-Vacumatic, aka, Duofold pens of the same material.

There are a number of different nibs that show up in the 'Striped' Duofold during the run.

There is also a proper name for the 'striped' material; Laditone. So perhaps a better nomenclature would be Laditone Duofold or Laditone Vacumatic.

Now why did your pen stir some excitement. Proper Vacumatic pens in the Laditone material are quite hard to find and there is a considerable number of collectors that hunt them. Your pen could have had a correct nib for a Vacumatic and just the wrong cap which could be fixed, changing an imprint isn't really possible so the barrel is the unique factor.

Deep South Texas has it spot on.

You got a great pen and I would say an under-rated pen at that, they are good bargains in the Vintage Parker world.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

pajaro (April 3rd, 2021), Scrawler (April 5th, 2021)