Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaky Pelikan 30, P30 or M30?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Leaky Pelikan 30, P30 or M30?

Quote Originally Posted by CTSteve View Post
    Hi Guys,

My first post on the forum..

I know this is an old thread but I thought this was worth sharing. Instead of buying or creating a custom wrench simply use a metal caliper if you have one. I use a 4 inch caliper to remove pistons all the time. They are adjustable and thin enough to do the trick.

Cheers!
    Steve

Thanks, Steve. I have so many of those TWSBI wrenches, it was not an issue.

Reviving this thread with new info. Well, I used the M30 for a bit but I ended up having to take it out of rotation. There is a crack somewhere that is allowing extra air exchange and it's leaking in the cap. I left it at that thinking I might replace the whole pen some day. As I could not find a parts pen, it sat in a pen case for the past couple of years.

Today I found that uberpens.com sells parts for these M/P Pelikan pens. You could practically build a whole pen from their parts sans the cap and nib. I have a new barrel on the way and it should be back in the rotation soon.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Reviving this thread with new info. Well, I used the M30 for a bit but I ended up having to take it out of rotation. There is a crack somewhere that is allowing extra air exchange and it's leaking in the cap. I left it at that thinking I might replace the whole pen some day. As I could not find a parts pen, it sat in a pen case for the past couple of years.

Today I found that uberpens.com sells parts for these M/P Pelikan pens. You could practically build a whole pen from their parts sans the cap and nib. I have a new barrel on the way and it should be back in the rotation soon.
    Did it earn it’s way back?

I’ve got an M30 Pelikan (type 1) with a super stiff piston. I’ve never needed to lubricate my other 30s, so I’ve never messed with it, but this is a task that needs doing, ‘cause my M30s are blue, and this is my first black one. Needs Must and all. But I’d never pull apart an Ibis, and this isn’t that much younger. I’ve only opened an M&K 120 once. I have no idea what thin ice looks like with this particular model.

So what do you think, in through the snoot or try not to crack the back? You make it sound casual, which makes me think that you know what you’re doing. I don’t, really. I even bought a cracked 30 for the nib, so I’ve got a practice pen, but... I shattered a Mabie Todd once... I’m still scarred... the “leave it alone” folks have a point.

Thanks

@ceebert
    First try putting the WHOLE PEN in water and try filling unfilling the pen while immersed in water. You will probably find there is a lot of ink at the back of the piston that you will get rid of and once cleaned, the piston should be fine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to whych For This Useful Post:

ceebert (May 16th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ceebert View Post

Did it earn it’s way back?

I’ve got an M30 Pelikan (type 1) with a super stiff piston. I’ve never needed to lubricate my other 30s, so I’ve never messed with it, but this is a task that needs doing, ‘cause my M30s are blue, and this is my first black one. Needs Must and all. But I’d never pull apart an Ibis, and this isn’t that much younger. I’ve only opened an M&K 120 once. I have no idea what thin ice looks like with this particular model.

So what do you think, in through the snoot or try not to crack the back? You make it sound casual, which makes me think that you know what you’re doing. I don’t, really. I even bought a cracked 30 for the nib, so I’ve got a practice pen, but... I shattered a Mabie Todd once... I’m still scarred... the “leave it alone” folks have a point.
    Yes! It stopped leaking but I have not used it in a while.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot