Thread: I don't use pens as much as I once did

Thanks

Default I don't use pens as much as I once did

I got a new job and things are much more digital than my previous job. I don't use pens that much at work.
    I was going to give up the hobby but I like writing with them more than a ball point or gel pen. I just can't part with them.

I'm looking for other ways to use pens. I journal with them and when I read non fiction books, I highlight and then copy the highlighted parts.
    I don't have pen pals and don't want any.
    What are other uses for pens?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to eicart0523 For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 5th, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: I don't use pens as much as I once did

Quote Originally Posted by eicart0523 View Post
    I got a new job and things are much more digital than my previous job. I don't use pens that much at work.
    I was going to give up the hobby but I like writing with them more than a ball point or gel pen. I just can't part with them.

I'm looking for other ways to use pens. I journal with them and when I read non fiction books, I highlight and then copy the highlighted parts.
    I don't have pen pals and don't want any.
    What are other uses for pens?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Good question

There was a time when I used a pen all day and every day, I had back to back meetings and kept a written record of each meeting, used a cartridge up every day as a minimum.

I used to journal but found that people were reading my words, which was not what I wanted or expected.

Unlike yourself I cannot bring myself to write in books. I used to be a book dealer, especially early Jane Austen, the idea of seeing someones notes in the margin of a classic novel would be bad news. If I had to make notes for a book then I would use a separate piece of paper that could be removed by a future owner.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 5th, 2023), catbert (April 5th, 2023), Deb (April 5th, 2023), Robalone (April 6th, 2023), Yazeh (April 15th, 2023)

Thanks

Noodler's Blue Ghost ink (which is visible only under ultraviolet light) can keep the writing secret. Amazon sells UV keychain lights; I keep one on my keychain and another in my Hobonichi Handwrite cover for my Hobonichi Techo Cousin A5 notebook planner.

-------

Another use for fountain pens would be writing notes in holiday and other cards, and for writing thank you notes.

I use green and red ink to address holiday cards, writing one character in green, the next in red, etc.

Noodlers Blue Ghost.jpgHobonichi with UV light.jpg
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; April 7th, 2023 at 12:55 PM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 5th, 2023), RobJohnson (April 5th, 2023), Yazeh (April 15th, 2023)

Thanks

Thanks for the tip on the ink in the journals.

I also use pens for cards, people seem to notice and appreciate that you have taken the trouble to write in a 'proper' pen. It is a complicated thought as to why that would matter to them, but one that I can go along with.

I have neither young children or grandchildren but it would be a joy to sit around a dining table with young children, each with their own fountain pen as we practice writing stories and improving our handwriting.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 5th, 2023), catbert (April 5th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (April 6th, 2023)

Thanks

If you're like me, a daily to do list and a first and final draft of the grocery list.

Sad I know....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dougc For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 5th, 2023), catbert (April 5th, 2023), RobJohnson (April 5th, 2023), Yazeh (April 15th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dougc View Post
    If you're like me, a daily to do list and a first and final draft of the grocery list.

Sad I know....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    I am sure you are not alone, you can include a laundry list for me also.

I know someone with a shocking memory, he makes notes of his friends names and the names of their children and suchlike. If you didn't know him then it would be easy to interpret his notebook as something quite sinister, it is fortunate for him that he looks like Grandpa Walton.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 580 Posts

I've been considering writing a book about this. An ebook, that is. The question comes up a lot on Reddit and I have a zillion links to those threads as well as other forums and blogs on what to do with one's pens. The short list:

• Collect, clean, repair, and admire (and trade / buy / sell / give)
    • Use them for non-marking purposes (so far, the only one I can remember here is someone who makes costumes for them and uses them to act out little plays)
    • Use them to make marks on paper

The last item can be divided into categories:
    • Writing
    • Drawing
    • Marking
    • Practicing
    • Reviewing

Reviewing pens, papers, inks, and / or accessories.

Practicing would be your handwriting, of course. Learn a new "font" or lettering style, improve one you already know, learn to write backwards, whatever.

Marking would be things like editing, grading papers, doing puzzles, or filling out forms.

Drawing can include doodles, Zentangles, and sketching, as well as drawing.

Writing can be further divided into things you can write (in):
    • Letters (whether to pen pals, politicians, newspapers, or, for example, seniors in nursing homes - there are charities which ask people to do this)
    • Cards (thank you, thinking of you, get well, holiday, etc.)
    • Journal / diary (could be about you, could be what you remember of last night's dreams, childhood memories, about your great-great grandfather as you research his life, ...)
    • Original work (poetry, fiction, non-fiction; essays, short stories, scripts, novels; articles; etc.)
    • Copying (lots of people do this, copying lyrics, the Bible, or some literary work they enjoy)
    • Copying recipes onto FP-friendly index cards...
    • Study (taking notes by hand of whatever you're learning, exploring the dictionary)
    • Notes (in meetings, from observation, quotes from shows or music)
    • Plans (for world domination, of course; a pad of A3 paper is fabulous for brainstorming on)
    • Planner / Diary / Agenda -keeping
    • Lists (grocery, favorites, contacts, things you want to memorize, bucket list, post-bucket listª)
    • Responses to forum posts
    • Keeping the books (paper ledger for all your financial transactions)

ª I'm going to start a new trend. If the "bucket list" is things you want to do before you die, the "post-bucket list" would be things you want to do after you die. There's a strict rule that the Post-Bucket List (the PBL) not be used for procrastination!

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 6th, 2023), carlos.q (April 6th, 2023), catbert (April 6th, 2023), forester (April 6th, 2023), JulieParadise (April 6th, 2023), Lloyd (April 6th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (April 6th, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (April 5th, 2023), Scrawler (April 10th, 2023), Scribbler (April 5th, 2023), Yazeh (April 15th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    I've been considering writing a book about this. An ebook, that is. The question comes up a lot on Reddit and I have a zillion links to those threads as well as other forums and blogs on what to do with one's pens. The short list:

• Collect, clean, repair, and admire (and trade / buy / sell / give)
    • Use them for non-marking purposes (so far, the only one I can remember here is someone who makes costumes for them and uses them to act out little plays)
    • Use them to make marks on paper

The last item can be divided into categories:
    • Writing
    • Drawing
    • Marking
    • Practicing
    • Reviewing

Reviewing pens, papers, inks, and / or accessories.

Practicing would be your handwriting, of course. Learn a new "font" or lettering style, improve one you already know, learn to write backwards, whatever.

Marking would be things like editing, grading papers, doing puzzles, or filling out forms.

Drawing can include doodles, Zentangles, and sketching, as well as drawing.

Writing can be further divided into things you can write (in):
    • Letters (whether to pen pals, politicians, newspapers, or, for example, seniors in nursing homes - there are charities which ask people to do this)
    • Cards (thank you, thinking of you, get well, holiday, etc.)
    • Journal / diary (could be about you, could be what you remember of last night's dreams, childhood memories, about your great-great grandfather as you research his life, ...)
    • Original work (poetry, fiction, non-fiction; essays, short stories, scripts, novels; articles; etc.)
    • Copying (lots of people do this, copying lyrics, the Bible, or some literary work they enjoy)
    • Copying recipes onto FP-friendly index cards...
    • Study (taking notes by hand of whatever you're learning, exploring the dictionary)
    • Notes (in meetings, from observation, quotes from shows or music)
    • Plans (for world domination, of course; a pad of A3 paper is fabulous for brainstorming on)
    • Planner / Diary / Agenda -keeping
    • Lists (grocery, favorites, contacts, things you want to memorize, bucket list, post-bucket listª)
    • Responses to forum posts
    • Keeping the books (paper ledger for all your financial transactions)

ª I'm going to start a new trend. If the "bucket list" is things you want to do before you die, the "post-bucket list" would be things you want to do after you die. There's a strict rule that the Post-Bucket List (the PBL) not be used for procrastination!
    Doooo iiiit! 👍🏻
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

You can write letters and send postcards.

I use postcrossing.com and send postcards around the world.

I also started a "slow communication" thing with my friends and relatives. People still like to receive personal correspondance through the mail.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 14th, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (April 14th, 2023)