Thread: simple binding without stitching (only glue)?

Thanks

Default simple binding without stitching (only glue)?

Hi,

I have a situation with 50x sheets of loose A4 sheets of weekly notes (1 year) that i want to put into a booklet.

Problem is i've written my notes up close to the left hand edge.

Is there a reliable method to bind these into a book which isn't going to fall apart (i.e. just with using a thin layer of glue along the 'spine'), WITHOUT encroaching more than 1mm or so from the left hand edge?

Any ideas would be most welcome; or if you think it's really not doable in a reliable manner, please let me know too.
    Cheers,
    T

Thanks

Default Re: simple binding without stitching (only glue)?

I've done this with empty sheets, but it would work with your notes as well. Clamp the sheets between two boards so that the future spine protrudes just a little bit. Apply a good layer of white glue. (I use a dedicated paint brush for this). Stand upright for a bit to dry. I find if you tape it off with masking tape when the glue is almost dry, you get an even surer binding. I've also experimented with a narrow strip of paper towel to cover the glue, and then the masking tape. I do not usually get a perfect binding, and it's not very pretty, but is serviceable, and the notebooks I've made this way have mostly withstood the pressure of being used for writing.

Good luck with your project!
    De pen is machtiger dan het zwaard - de pen wordt nog gebruikt, het zwaard hangt aan de muur...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mhguda For This Useful Post:

twingall (January 3rd, 2024)

Thanks

You might be interested in this YouTube on choosing a glue for perfect-style binding. https://youtu.be/cvCQv0cHBWY?si=g2NC12TaOlK31h6b
    or Amazon sells a product called Books by Hand PH Neutral PVA Adhesive with spout"- 4 ounce bottle $9.20

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OCArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks to you both. Will check out these glues @OCArt and am doing a trial run of your method @mhguda.

Cheers, T

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

PVA is traditionally used by bookbinders. It has a bit of give to it, a little like silicone but I think less flexible. I've never compared them head-to-head, as it were, but I have used PVA for rebinding books. It's often used for gluing together sewn signatures, and also for covering the boards and spine.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

cheers, yeah i tried with PVA 502 wood adhesive and it's worked ok in trial run.. but a couple sheets not sticking due to glue not penetrating.
    Going to try cross-hatching the 'spine' with multiple cuts to get the glue in a bit deeper next time.. and maybe a slightly wetter glue & looser clamp.
    Then for future sheets of notes will leave a bit of a margin so i can ultimately stitch them along the side (for me i want loose leaf 'pin-up' sheets in realtime, then make into a book at end of year).