Hello,

Glad to find this community. I got started in Fountain Pens in December, modern ones. Then, sometime in February I got my first Vintage Venus President with a semi-flex nib. I was hooked. I have jumped into Vintage since then, probably too quickly, but find that I really enjoy the challenge of fixing and restoring vintage fountain pens. I am certain that someone here can relate. I have picked up some Wearevers, Eversharps, Mortons, Good Service, and Watermans. I think I will probably begin to focus primarily on Watermans, and possible a few other brands I want to explore further. I am hoping that restoring the pens will also limit my obsession of hunting for them on Ebay too, but it seems I go back there for supplies and parts too.

Two of my more successful restorations have been a Pelikan 400nn (although I never did get the nib/feed unit to unscrew), removing and after breaking the first mechanism housing, finding a replacement and learning how to properly seat the nob/piston, and a Pelikan 140, which I was able to unscrew the nib/feed section, but also had to remove the piston mechanism and reseat. I am glad that I was able to bring both back to functionality with a bit of learning and trial and error.

Other than that it has been mostly cleaning and replacing Sacs, and a few J-bars, and a pressure bar for a button filler. I have indulged in a little bit of nib tuning, but am trying to proceed cautiously and that is really frustrating. I read or saw a video where someone once stated they try to accommodate their writing style to each vintage nib, so as not to endanger ruining it with tuning, but some of these are so frustratingly close to being better that I can't help but want to tweak a bit.

I would love to find a mentor or two who would be willing to offer some guidance occasionally. I have a Wahl Oxford twist filler that I believe I am going to need some help with, and probably need to find a professional restorer who can potentially heal some cracked barrels at the threads where the sections fit in - I do not want to just toss an antique writing instrument in the trash if there is any hope of giving it a new life.

My biggest shame to date? Snapping a Waterman Ink-view in half trying to remove the section, which apparently doesn't remove - I admit I was lazy and should of researched more first. I am still kicking myself for being so stupid and not slowing down.

Anyhow, I hope you are all well, safe, and enjoying your Pens today - Have a great week!

Greg