Thread: Parker pavilion at 1964 New York World's Fair

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 1,132 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Parker pavilion at 1964 New York World's Fair

But my favorite pavilion at the fair was not the Parker exhibit but the Philippines Pavilion where they were handing out small bottles of San Miguel. I certainly dd have a great time there. Took the train to and from Baltimore and stayed with a girl I knew from a Western Maryland College and the subway to get around the city.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

welch (October 17th, 2021), Yazeh (April 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

I find it interesting that the World's Fair theme was "Peace through understanding" to which Parker added: "Peace through understanding through writing" as the basis for their ambitious International Penfriend Program:

http://www.nywf64.com/parpen05.shtml

Thanks

I missed the Parker exhibition. I wasn't into fountain pens, back in my metal topped Esterbrook or Wearever days.
    I worked there as a Boy Scout/Air Explorer in the second year in '65, and liked the Disney one with the robot Lincoln.

And the one with the huge tub of money, that if you looked long and hard you could find a $10,000, a $5,000 and a number of $1,000 bills.

We were from Germany and took a Liberty Ship from Bramenhaven to NY, took ten-twelve days. It was the third day, when the Ships Captain aid the solders were not allowed to pay poker with us... and we was winning.

They did let us up out of the hold..up to the families on the upper two decks, where one tried to play ping pong on a table whose corners were always moving up or down.

After our two weeks at the World's Fair, we were scheduled to return to Germany the next day by the sister ship of the Liberty ship, when Johnson escalated the war. And our boat left that night for the W.Coast and we had to go to Ft. Dix and get to shoot various guns, mortars and machine guns while we waited a few weeks for the Community to get money up to fly us home. No Basic, just either an empty barracks or the national Guard, and eating in a mess hall.

No more flight hours at our local Army base, those planes also went to war....so no pilot's license.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; October 16th, 2021 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks

I have some 64 World's Fair stamps.

"We was. . ." Someone pointed out that construction last night, used on TV. It reminded me of a colleague at the City of Pensacola MIS Department who used it all the time. The things you remember.