Thread: 3776 production question

Thanks

Default 3776 production question

I am just wondering how Platinum produces the 'carved body' 3776s ike Shungyo, Rokka and Nice.

Does anybody know? Are they moulded or made using a guilloche technique?

Thanks

Default Re: 3776 production question

I believe they are injection molded.

Thanks

I love the writing experience with the Platinum 3776. Of all the pen choices out there, and considering my collection is still under 20, it’s kind of remarkable that I have four of the 3776 - two are their plain models, the Bourgogne and Chartres, and two of the Nice model - both of the Nice pens were over $200. Same nib as the plain ones, just the fancier barrel. The first Nice Lavende I bought, at the end of April, after about a week, started developing a crack on the grip, starting at the nib end. I contacted the seller, they asked for photos, then sent me a return shipping label. I sent the pen back, and immediately bought another Nice Lavende from their site, since they only had one left. (I was afraid they would sell out before the whole return/refund process could be completed)

New pen arrived, no cracks. Money for the return of the first pen refunded to my bank account. So this morning, I noticed the second Nice Lavende is also developing a crack, in the same place. I’m really upset. The Nice Lilas, and all of my other Platinum pens, which get the same amount of use, are fine. I’m careful with my pens, I don’t carry these particular ones around, they stay at home. I haven’t dropped the pen, I haven’t taken it apart, other than to flush the nib or put in a cartridge or converter. I suppose I can contact the seller again, but they are probably going to think it’s something I am doing wrong. This shouldn’t happen to a $200+ pen. I’m wondering if anyone else has had problems with the Platinum Nice model, or a similar cracking issue with any Platinum pen? I haven’t re-contacted the seller yet, but I did try to send an email to PlatinumUSA - just got a notification that the email address I used, from their website, basically doesn’t exist.

Thanks

Injection molding. A guilloche technique would likely drive costs up by a fair margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
    Money for the return of the first pen refunded to my bank account. So this morning, I noticed the second Nice Lavende is also developing a crack, in the same place. I’m really upset. The Nice Lilas, and all of my other Platinum pens, which get the same amount of use, are fine. I’m careful with my pens, I don’t carry these particular ones around, they stay at home. I haven’t dropped the pen, I haven’t taken it apart, other than to flush the nib or put in a cartridge or converter. I suppose I can contact the seller again, but they are probably going to think it’s something I am doing wrong. This shouldn’t happen to a $200+ pen. I’m wondering if anyone else has had problems with the Platinum Nice model, or a similar cracking issue with any Platinum pen? I haven’t re-contacted the seller yet, but I did try to send an email to PlatinumUSA - just got a notification that the email address I used, from their website, basically doesn’t exist.
    I've heard of cracks appearing in the grip on the 3776 after some time, lets say 1-2 years but nothing out of the box. Perhaps it's just coincidence?

Personally, I have experience with non-nice models and never had any issues so far.
    -NK

u/sworist

Thanks

Thanks guys! i have a Nice Pur by the way and haven't touch wood had any issues. Is it just the Lavande I wonder? or even a single batch?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Thanks guys! i have a Nice Pur by the way and haven't touch wood had any issues. Is it just the Lavande I wonder? or even a single batch?
    I was thinking maybe a “batch” issue, since I bought both pens from the same seller in the same time period. Since they appear to be stress type cracks, starting where the feed meets the grip, I’m wondering if someone at the factory was a little too aggressive when putting the nibs in that day?