Thread: OPUS 88 DEMO Review- Best Pen under $150 for people with looking for Jumbo Pen

Thanks

Default OPUS 88 DEMO Review- Best Pen under $150 for people with looking for Jumbo Pen

This is my first review and I will be talking about my favorite pen in budget section i.e. OPUS 88 Demo – After years of usage I will call it a “Perfect Pen in this price segment” & a great option for students or professionals who need pen with good ink capacity who have big hands & like Jumbo Sized Pens!

I have been great fan of OPUS Demo Pens since their launch in 2017. Overtime I have used many pens Opus 88 pens and I never ever had any issue with any of their pens . Their Demo model which comes in 4 different colors(clear,red,gray & orange) is one of my favorite model.For the price they are being sold makes them exceptional value for money pen.If someone asks me for*best jumbo size pen under $150 I will recommend you this OPUS Demo*because it’s just a perfect pen for everyone with no-nonsense yet appealing design. OPUS Demo has #6 JoWo nibs which are very very good out of the box as they are tuned by the them. Pen is very durable and almost unbreakable & can be used for many years!!!

Pros

Well-made pen that feels very nice

#6 JOWO nib which comes tuned out of the box

Huge ink capacity

Great looking pen , you will surely get compliments .

Perfect Balance

At $120, its cheapest pen with Shut-off valve filling mechanism .

Perfect ink flow, not overly saturated, not pale.

Very nice grip section.

*Construction, fit and finish are far beyond the price point of this pen

No need of silicon grease(O rings do the job well)

Can carry while travelling even during air travel !

You can put Pilot Parallel nibs & other Jowo compatible nib units (just take care of that O Ring)

Cons

Take very long time to uncap (3.5 turns) that’s huge….

Not for ladies as this pen is very big & not for people with small hands .

You can’t post it, but most people don’t post large size pens!

More details that you may need to know-

Body material: Acrylic resin with ice effect

Trim: Black

Cap: Screw on(3 turns)

Nib material: JOWO #6 Steel(tuned out of the box)

Filling system: Eyedropper + shut off valve

Ink capacity: 4 ml approximately

Length (capped): 147.30 mm/5.80″

Length (uncapped): 136.6 mm/5.38″

Length (posted): N/A

Length (section): 22.46 mm/0.88″

Diameter (barrel): 14.16 – 14.97 mm/0.56″ – 0.59″

Diameter (section): 11.05 – 12.86 mm/0.44″ – 0.51″

Weight (all): 27 g

Weight (cap): 10 g

Weight (body): 17 g

Price: $120.00 USD (goes on sale often)

Nib Size- Extra-Fine, Fine, Medium, Broad, 1.5mm Stub

Packing-

The Demo is available in a white box with a a black magnetic flap box inside. The outer field has the corporation logo, “OPUS 88,” and “Fine Writing Instruments” embossed at the center. The internal field has “OPUS 88 Fine Writing Instruments” embossed in right side and “Since 1977” on the lowest left side. Their is an informational sticky label with the version and enterprise name, a photo of the pen and the nib size. The lid has a magnetic the front flap which opens up and we see the pen, a warranty and glass rubber eyedropper, and a person manual.*You won’t get this kind of packing in this budget anywhere else. It could be a great gift .

Performance-

The pen comes with a #6 steel nib. It has a single slit, a spherical breather hole, and is engraved with a few flourishes (JoWo-style) and the nib size is written over their. It is laser-engraved with ‘Opus 88’ which appears adorable and aesthetically pleasing.

This nib is a pleasure to put in writing with. It is a simple JOWO metal nib that glides throughout without any issue and on any kind of paper. You don’t have worry about any hard starts or any issues . Every OPUS nib is tuned out of the box

The filling machine is cool – it holds a variety of ink, it is smooth to fill, operate, maintain, and clean. The shut-off valve is right for eyedropper pens as it enables to save you ink burping in case you are sporting the pen around, for example. It is very very convenient & I belive all eyedropper fillers need to have.You can carry it anywhere even in your air ride without worrying about your shirt.Opus 88 makes the cheapest but great quality Euedroppers which have shut off valves.

The clip is very comfortable & sturdy. You can’t post the clip in this pen. The spherical ball on clip makes nice grip on your pocket or note book. The pen is very comfortable to write with, even for longer writing sessions. It doesn’t feel heavy neither slippery . You will enjoy writing with it . It is very well balanced pen.

Overall – Best pen under $150 . You should get one for yourself (it’s MRP is $120) and it goes on discount pretty occasionally. This review is based upon experience with my OPUS Demo pens which I have been using over the years.

What are other options at this price range?*– Some models of Benu, Kaweco Al / Brass Series pens, Lamy 2000(when on sale) , Pilot Capless, Platinum 3776 , Pilot Custom 74 and TWSBI aka Crackbi pens. Although some of them have gold nibs.But if you see as overall package this*OPUS Demo is better than all these*pens.But people with small hands will not find this pen comfortable .

I will write an article about modern gold nibs vs modern steel nibs soon. This is not much talked topic, but I belive one should know the reality.

My blog link - https://inkpenlover.wordpress.com/20...pen-under-150/

Sent from my M2010J19CI using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Inkpenlover; April 26th, 2021 at 10:14 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inkpenlover For This Useful Post:

Brgphilly (May 29th, 2021), Marsilius (April 27th, 2021), Robert (April 26th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (April 26th, 2021), Wile E Coyote (April 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default Re: OPUS 88 DEMO Review- Best Pen under $150 for people with looking for Jumbo Pen

Thank you for such a detailed and glowing review.
    While having medium/large hands, ironically I prefer small and narrow pens.
    However, what appeals to me in this pen is the fact that it would be perfect for troublesome pigmented/ bulletproof inks, as form what I was told these pens don't dry out.. And that's a plus for me

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (April 27th, 2021), Inkpenlover (April 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: OPUS 88 DEMO Review- Best Pen under $150 for people with looking for Jumbo Pen

Thank you for the informative review. I have been looking at grabbing one of these to add to my new collection (I just started the fountain pen hobby this part year)? I hope to start back traveling soon and was trying to figure out which pen to use for air travel and you state that this pen will work for that. Have you personally traveled with it? If so, could you share your experiences? Also, is there any particular ink that you like to use in the OPUS 88? Thanks again!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whorne For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whorne View Post
    Thank you for the informative review. I have been looking at grabbing one of these to add to my new collection (I just started the fountain pen hobby this part year)? I hope to start back traveling soon and was trying to figure out which pen to use for air travel and you state that this pen will work for that. Have you personally traveled with it? If so, could you share your experiences? Also, is there any particular ink that you like to use in the OPUS 88? Thanks again!
    Yeah I have used in my 3 air travels. I carried it inked in my pocket in a flight from Delhi to New York. It was around 20 hours travel. And not even 1 drop leaked . The shut off walve works perfectly. I have carried it with me in train too, absolute no issues there too..

I am using different inks, it's easy to clean. In cap you need to put cleaner solution though. Rest all pen can be easily disassembled and is easy to clean. Currently I am using Akkerman Shocking Blue ink

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inkpenlover For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (April 27th, 2021), whorne (April 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Great review - and some lovely photography there! Enough to make me want this version too! Despite the fact that I think it may be a little bit too big for my usual taste.

I have the picnic version, and enjoy it very much - so much so that I plan to add some extra colours in the near future.

Thank you

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inkpenlover View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whorne View Post
    Yeah I have used in my 3 air travels. I carried it inked in my pocket in a flight from Delhi to New York. It was around 20 hours travel. And not even 1 drop leaked . The shut off walve works perfectly. I have carried it with me in train too, absolute no issues there too..

I am using different inks, it's easy to clean. In cap you need to put cleaner solution though. Rest all pen can be easily disassembled and is easy to clean. Currently I am using Akkerman Shocking Blue ink

Thanks again for the great info! You have convinced me! I will be on the lookout for this pen!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whorne For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (April 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Wonderful review of my favorite pen.
    My current Opus-88 Demo has a "Secretary of De Flex" nib unit in it.
    Absolutely heavenly!
    Pen Realm - Secretary of De Flex-4.png
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 27th, 2021)

Thanks

That is absolutely gorgeous!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to whorne For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (April 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Thank you for such a detailed and glowing review.
    While having medium/large hands, ironically I prefer small and narrow pens.
    However, what appeals to me in this pen is the fact that it would be perfect for troublesome pigmented/ bulletproof inks, as form what I was told these pens don't dry out.. And that's a plus for me
    That's a very true point about these pens.
    I just wrote a post for the "Thread entirely in fountain pen" and in between doodles and writing I took...what...about 30-45 seconds to check emails and change music on my playlist.
    Every time I started back writing or doodling it...just...wrote.
    No hard starts, no delay in ink flow...just *boom*...you put nib down, it writes!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Can the nib and feed be removed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Can the nib and feed be removed?
    Yes, they can be removed. Either as an entire "Screw-in/out" unit...or by extracting the nib and feed and leaving the housing in the pen.
    Easily upgradable via both methods.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Inkpenlover (April 28th, 2021), Lloyd (May 3rd, 2021), Yazeh (April 28th, 2021)