Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to seal Kaweco Perkeo's barrel?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default Re: Is it possible to seal Kaweco Perkeo's barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Sorry, I've only just read this.

Can you get Miliput there? That's my weapon of choice for this sort of job (and many others if truth be told).
    Yes I can. I glued the Perkeo. It's curing, so to speak. Still a bit sticky.. but getting there...
    I'll keep Miliput in my mind next time, thanks

Thanks

I was hasty in my response, it can be bought but it comes from overseas. It's around 9$ Canadian. For the yellow/grey pack.
    Can this thing be used to glue broken ceramics too ?(I have a favorite mug handle in mind)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I was hasty in my response, it can be bought but it comes from overseas. It's around 9$ Canadian. For the yellow/grey pack.
    Can this thing be used to glue broken ceramics too ?(I have a favorite mug handle in mind)
    Milliput isn't used for gluing two parts of a broken item together. It's used for filling any gaps or chips that are left after the broken parts have been glued together or for making new parts. So if you broke your handle off your mug then you need it glued back on first.
    You could have used Milliput for plugging the hole in the Perkeo and it's available in several different colours.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 30th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Milliput isn't used for gluing two parts of a broken item together. It's used for filling any gaps or chips that are left after the broken parts have been glued together or for making new parts. So if you broke your handle off your mug then you need it glued back on first.
    You could have used Milliput for plugging the hole in the Perkeo and it's available in several different colours.
    I use Milliput all the time for combination repairs, and have never had to pre-glue. It's designed to bond as well as fill - a godsend for small chips in the edges of things.

There's a 'fine wihte' version that's especially designed for ceramics and has fixed many, many mug and jug handles in my house (which is inhabited by a bunch of clumsy people!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 30th, 2021)

Thanks

When I was taught to be a ceramic restorer I was taught to never use Milliput putty for the initial bond to attach two broken parts together. It's much too thick and has no instant bond. Small chips in edges is fine but it's not a good choice for bonding a mug handle back onto the side of the mug where it broke off from. Nor is it a good choice for joining two pieces of a broken china plate or ornament back together. You will never get a close enough bond to make the broken line disappear and look perfect again. Modelling a finger or a flower or a missing part or filling in a chip is it's strength. Regular 2 part Araldite would be a good choice for strong bonding pottery.

Check out Kirsten, ceramic restorer on The Repair Shop. She uses Milliput modelling putty a lot.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (April 30th, 2021), Yazeh (April 30th, 2021)

Thanks

That's interesting Chrissy - I've obviously been lucky (and probably haven't read the instructions properly!) as I have a number of mugs and jugs that I've fixed with the fine version, and which happily go through the dishwasher on a regular basis. I thought that as it is an epoxy, it should work fine as long as it's soft enough - and I have always added a bit on the outside of the join and blended it in to give it some extra strength.

I think it's brilliant stuff - it's saved a fair few chipped cap edges for me as well!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 30th, 2021)

Thanks

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. One learns more by reading your disussions than just browsing and perusing the internet.. Thanks a lot

Thanks

As my mixture was quite thick, I didn't use a filler. Maybe I should've have. 18 hours into curing and it's still a bit sticky...
    I'm assuming it's not 5 minute epoxy, which would have been fine for this since it's not a matter of strength. In any case, like anything involving a chemical reaction, some warmth speeds up the curing. Note that with epoxy it is very important to mix it well, and don't apply it with the same stick you used to mixed it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Note that with epoxy it is very important to mix it well, and don't apply it with the same stick you used to mixed it.
    We're only talking about a small quantity. I use one tool for mixing and application.

Thanks

That's interesting Chrissy - I've obviously been lucky (and probably haven't read the instructions properly!) as I have a number of mugs and jugs that I've fixed with the fine version, and which happily go through the dishwasher on a regular basis. I thought that as it is an epoxy, it should work fine as long as it's soft enough - and I have always added a bit on the outside of the join and blended it in to give it some extra strength.

I think it's brilliant stuff - it's saved a fair few chipped cap edges for me as well!
    Even when I was taught how to use Miliput putty for modelling I was advised to use a dot of adhesive to hold it on as well. A sort of belt and braces effect.
    The tube of adhesive that is used by Kirsten on the repair shop is this HMG product but for porcelain she uses Hxtal or Araldite 2020.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    I still wouldn't use baking soda as a filler. It reacts with any acids that may present. Talc is reasonably inert.
    I know the OP already made their choice but just want to clarify that the reaction with acids is not what you want to worry about. That only produces CO2. What you worry about is the reaction between baking soda and cyanoacrylate is exothermic so heat is produced. If the material you are bonding is not up to the task for resisting heat, expect some melting. In a modern pen, I don't believe it is an issue. Vintage pens I would go the talc and epoxy route unless it is ebonite. Once I find the pen I need to seal (a vintage Japanese ebonite eyedropper) I plan to film the process and post it. I just need to find the pen.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Even when I was taught how to use Miliput putty for modelling I was advised to use a dot of adhesive to hold it on as well. A sort of belt and braces effect.
    The tube of adhesive that is used by Kirsten on the repair shop is this HMG product but for porcelain she uses Hxtal or Araldite 2020.
    Oh no Chrissy - Fred Aldous is a very dangerous place for me to be... Because of course I want it now and they have so many other things I want...

Thanks

Whatever you do don't look on Addington Studio then.

Thanks

Note that with epoxy it is very important to mix it well, and don't apply it with the same stick you used to mixed it.
    We're only talking about a small quantity. I use one tool for mixing and application.

With a small quantity, there is even more chance of getting an uneven mix, I think. Good that what you're doing is working for you. Note though, that what I recommended is what the instructions often state. The reason I mention it is not to be pedantic, but rather that Yazeh was experiencing a long setting time, which is consistent with an uneven mix or a cold environment.

A second tool (presumably a toothpick) is recommended because the part that sticks to the tool doesn't necessarily mix well but has more of one part than the other, depending on what you touched first. In any case, it's all theory, and any persons personal technique is what counts.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 30th, 2021)

Thanks

I put both of my parts onto a clean white tile then sweep them together so haven't necessarily soaked my cocktail stick in one before the other. Also my Araldite 2020 is only 3 drops of one part and 1 drop of the other, if I threw away my mixing stick half of it would go in the bin.
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 30th, 2021 at 11:32 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 30th, 2021)

Thanks

As my mixture was quite thick, I didn't use a filler. Maybe I should've have. 18 hours into curing and it's still a bit sticky...
    I'm assuming it's not 5 minute epoxy, which would have been fine for this since it's not a matter of strength. In any case, like anything involving a chemical reaction, some warmth speeds up the curing. Note that with epoxy it is very important to mix it well, and don't apply it with the same stick you used to mixed it.
    It actually is....
    I put it close to heat source it became stickier. I rubbed it with some alcohol the stickiness went away...
    Maybe my glue is old, I don't know. Or maybe I didn't mixed it very well as precisely as I should...

20210430_102353.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    I still wouldn't use baking soda as a filler. It reacts with any acids that may present. Talc is reasonably inert.
    I know the OP already made their choice but just want to clarify that the reaction with acids is not what you want to worry about. That only produces CO2. What you worry about is the reaction between baking soda and cyanoacrylate is exothermic so heat is produced. If the material you are bonding is not up to the task for resisting heat, expect some melting. In a modern pen, I don't believe it is an issue. Vintage pens I would go the talc and epoxy route unless it is ebonite. Once I find the pen I need to seal (a vintage Japanese ebonite eyedropper) I plan to film the process and post it. I just need to find the pen.

My choice was made for the first pen, as I'd only epoxy. Superglue is on its way
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated

Thanks

I am faced with a similar dilemma and my solution is crazy glue mixed with baking soda. https://youtu.be/-RIBRMf-AWI
    Thanks so much for the baking soda tip, didn't know about that!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by typhil01 View Post
    I am faced with a similar dilemma and my solution is crazy glue mixed with baking soda. https://youtu.be/-RIBRMf-AWI
    Thanks so much for the baking soda tip, didn't know about that!
    Just heed the warning about heat that is generated by the process.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Some updates:
    I ordered some Milliput and am thankful to have done so.
    I made the mixture and inserted it inside the barrel. Now the Perkeo is sealed.
    I also used it on a rip off Lamy Safari type Chinese pen, which I truly hate, and I managed to seal the ink window. It's not pretty, but I don't like the pen anyway.
    And finally I used the mixture of epoxy and milliput to repair the handle of a perfectly fine watering can. I first glued the handle to the side and then did a little molding around it.
    For now it's solid.
    Frankly that milliput is so practical. The colour is mustard yellowish.

I wish I could change the colour....

However, I tried the super glue/ baking soda on another pen. It has a tendency to crumble and break. I personally won't recommend it.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (May 31st, 2021)