Thread: At a Cross Road

Thanks

Default At a Cross Road

I listened to Mr. Biden's speech last night. The theme that I was repeatedly reminded of is that in order to compete in a global economy and to win the concept that democracy is superior to authoritarian government, investment is imperative.

For me it is not about being a member of one party or another. It is a matter of practical economics

Freedom and opportunity for all is better than freedom and opportunity for some. It ensures wealth.

That free education is a way to ensure strength and success not only for a nation, but to ensure the abilty to compete globally.

Thoughts anyone?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Cookedj (May 3rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: At a Cross Road

Define "free".
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post
    It was a sort of bizarre thing, but not unexpected. It is "bizarre" from an electoral standpoint because he could claim a bare majority in the House of a few seats, and a tie-break in the Senate. There is too much division to credibly claim a mandate proportional to his requests. I'm more apt to believe it was kind of bargainer's strategy where this is his "opening position" and then whatever legislation he wants gets "bargained down" in the Senate. If you open with a more radical position, by virtue of the split Senate and budget reconciliation process, you end up bargained back to something more modest but still getting a few of the things you want.
    Your explanation shows just how non-bizarre the speech was. He should ask for what he wants. Period. Others can vote for or against it, and the consequences will fall out from there. I thought Joe was being exactly Joe and trying to ride the wave of having a working majority in both houses. Regardless of how thin. Sometimes what is right needs to be expressed even if the govt will do what is wrong. Nothing bizarre at all in that.

Thanks

This is the real "art of the deal" folks, or at least in politics.

Thanks

Nothing is free - someone is paying for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cookedj View Post
    Nothing is free - someone is paying for it.
    I expect to pay more.

Thanks

I am very willing to invest aka "pay more" in programs where more people are educated, have access to WIFI, better infrastruture, passenger rail, and public health. I would love to jump on a train to travel. It is crazy the US has not followed the Euopean model.

We've been suffering for decades from the failed on concept of Reagan's trinkle down. I bought into it like others did, but it does not work.

The pandemic just focued a light on the problem.

And, conspiracies exist because people are not educated to do research. Confirmation bias is killing us.

I cannot be okay if others are not okay. My late uncle used to joke about the man who died in a silo looking for a corner to sh*^. Or, my late manager who defined insanity as doing the same things expecting a different outcome. It is way past due to do something different and DT is not the answer, folks. He truly isn't.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

welch (May 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I am very willing to invest aka "pay more" in programs where more people are educated, have access to WIFI, better infrastruture, passenger rail, and public health. I would love to jump on a train to travel. It is crazy the US has not followed the Euopean model.

We've been suffering for decades from the failed on concept of Reagan's trinkle down. I bought into it like others did, but it does not work.

And, conspiracies exist because people are not educated to do research. Confirmation bias is killing us.

I cannot be okay if others are not okay. My late uncle used to joke about the man who died in a silo looking for a corner to sh*^. Or, my late manager who defined insanity as doing the same things expecting a different outcome. It is way past due to do something different and DT is not the answer, folks. He truly isn't.
    I agree, however the politicians that make these massive spending bills are putting more money for them and less money for the actual projects. IMHO our media is driving the narrative -good or bad. People aren't taught to think critically or do research anymore, we are more concerned about getting students a high school diploma by dumbing down classes.

Thanks

It's easy to make assertions of opinion and characterize them as fact.

Please relate your experience with these European models. I lived in Germany for 10 years, before and after the fall of the Berlin Wall and the privatization of the Deutsche Bundesbahn. What about the "European" train system should be brought here? How does the German education or health system work? Is it the same as the French, Italian, or Danish model?

Please explain Reagan's "trickle down" concept, and how it failed.

How did the pandemic focus a light on the problem (and what problem are you talking about exactly?).

Thanks

I do like the way Germany's education system is (okay at least part of it). At a certain point, the students are given a test, or series of tests, to see which track they get put in, the University track or trade school track. I am a firm believer that not every student needs to go to college just to accumulate a huge amount of debt and a degree that they may or may not use.

Side note, I did like the German train system.

Thanks

I do like the way Germany's education system is (okay at least part of it). At a certain point, the students are given a test, or series of tests, to see which track they get put in, the University track or trade school track. I am a firm believer that not every student needs to go to college just to accumulate a huge amount of debt and a degree that they may or may not use.

I agree that not everyone needs advanced education, but it is required for some positions in the US whether you use it or not. A BS is a gateway degree requirement.

When my daughter went to Germany she said the trains were convenient and clean. I would use a train if available.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post

Please relate your experience with these European models. I lived in Germany for 10 years, before and after the fall of the Berlin Wall and the privatization of the Deutsche Bundesbahn. What about the "European" train system should be brought here? How does the German education or health system work? Is it the same as the French, Italian, or Danish model?

How did the pandemic focus a light on the problem (and what problem are you talking about exactly?).
    You're a ill tempered old coot, aren't you? LOL!!

Most of us know your're not interested in conversation and worse never respond to anything provided. Confirmation bias is your middle name.

That said, yes, I am expressing an opinion and YMMV.

The trinkle never happened. That's why there is disparity in case you hadn't noticed. Oh, you didn't!!

The pandemic demonstrated the vulnerabilty of the most needy.

Trumpism is a cult with its members trying to out lipstick on a pig. It only makes them look stupid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post

You're a ill tempered old coot, aren't you? LOL!!

Most of us know your're not interested in conversation and worse never respond to anything provided. Confirmation bias is your middle name.

That said, yes, I am expressing an opinion and YMMV.

The trinkle never happened. That's why there is disparity in case you hadn't noticed. Oh, you didn't!!

The pandemic demonstrated the vulnerabilty of the most needy.

Trumpism is a cult with its members trying to out lipstick on a pig. It only makes them look stupid.
    Ill tempered? I just asked a few questions.

Your accusatory response, and inability to offer more than vague assertions should perhaps prompt some self-reflection.

Thanks

I agree that not everyone needs advanced education, but it is required for some positions in the US whether you use it or not. A BS is a gateway degree requirement.

When my daughter went to Germany she said the trains were convenient and clean. I would use a train if available.
    I've got a brother with a PhD. Dad always called him the educated idiot. I would ride trains if they were here in TN. Go from Nashville to Gatlinburg/Chattanooga/Memphis on a nice day trip.

Thanks

I've got a brother with a PhD. Dad always called him the educated idiot. I would ride trains if they were here in TN. Go from Nashville to Gatlinburg/Chattanooga/Memphis on a nice day trip.
    It's common to think an educated person is an idiot by those who's main interest is who won the ball game last night. Yes, a train to those destinations, even part way would be nice. It sure beats sitting in traffic because a person decided getting three cars lengths ahead is more important than anything on Earth.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

welch (May 23rd, 2021)