Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviews of some modern fountain pens (will update)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Reviews of some modern fountain pens (will update)

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    You don't say, much about the nib and how it wrote.
    Can you tell us more about that? Is it just a jewel piece or does it write really well?
    Doesn't the included handwriting and sketch tell you all you need to know?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    You don't say, much about the nib and how it wrote.
    Can you tell us more about that? Is it just a jewel piece or does it write really well?
    Doesn't the included handwriting and sketch tell you all you need to know?
    Not really. He sure can write and sketch with anything. But sometimes, the experience is less than agreeable (Quite a bit of Italian pens/TWSBI and I believe the Lamy Dialog3 for ex. )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Not really. He sure can write and sketch with anything. But sometimes, the experience is less than agreeable (Quite a bit of Italian pens/TWSBI and I believe the Lamy Dialog3 for ex. )
    I see, fair enough. I would be all the more impressed if those were the results of a less-than-satisfactory pen experience. Let us see what the artist has to say.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 249 Posts

Thanks guys!
    As you can understand, in a fairly short time (5-6 years) I to try a lot of different nibs from very vintage to last modern. Usually I use my impressions from the nib when they are bright - like very pleasant or very unpleasant. If I don't write anything about it, it means that it is usually ordinary. Those in this case, this nib did not evoke any strong emotions in me, it is quite rigid, it is enought smooth(no superglide, no branded feedback), writes without any problems in everyday use, does not dry, does not wet (remember the feed is ebonite). Those this is an ordinary EDC tool if you do not look at the luxury exterior(brand) and thin body. I have no negative attitude towards him, but also no rejoicing, exept outstanding Lapis Lazulli lacquer)).
    About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org or watch on social networks
    FB: @ArtDesignPenS
    Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS
    Instagram: @andrew.lensky

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 9th, 2022), Yazeh (January 9th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Lensky View Post
    Hey! Today I have another thin pen and another member of Slim design, heiress of the Aurora Hastil traditions, a model from the French fashion house Cartier.

Cartier. Must de Cartier “Trinity” in Lapis Lazuli (made in France) 3205

This pen is a thin cylindrical shape made of brass and covered by lacquer which called “Lapis Lazuli”. (A small note: Lapis Lazuli is a rare mineral of complex composition; usually found in alkaline igneous and carbonate rocks. It has a bright blue and deep blue, sometimes violet-blue or indigo-blue color, has a uniform texture, and in the overwhelming mass of the stone have is a scattering of golden pyrite against a dark blue background.) The metal elements are goldplated with theoreticaly solid gold rings on the cap. The filling system is a cartridge-converter of the international standard. Cap on friction, with a slight click at the end of closure.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/01/modern-mu...rtier-trinity/
    Beautiful work and great set of pens here Andrew, Also I like your ink chosen for this Sketch too.

I like slim pens and already have few but they are not hi-end pens like yours here.
    So They haven't much guaranty of their nibs been fine quality. Slim pens in my hand gives a feeling of dip pens and works fine in my hand.
    Thanks always for your share of your passion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 11th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Beautiful work and great set of pens here Andrew, Also I like your ink chosen for this Sketch too.
    Thanks always for your share of your passion.
    Thanks for your kind words!

Hi! Somehow it happened that I passed the stage of most budget pens in my hobby and after a certain number of Chinese pens “some to try” I went to vintage ones, and from them I went on to modern. However, not without the help of those who sent(and send now) me pens for adjust and services(big thanks to they), so I tried a lot of different pens, from different price segments. And today I want to show one of the budget models of the big Japanese three.

Pilot Prera Ivory (made in Japan) FPR-3SR-I-F

The shape of this pen is a straight cylindrical body from light beige plastic, with flat ends, and overall, the shape is most similar to the Pelikan M150-M200 models. The filling system is a cartridge-converter of proprietary Pilot format. The cap on friction, fits with a slight inertia and click at the end.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/01/modern-pilot-prera/
    About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org or watch on social networks

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Cyril (January 15th, 2022), eachan (January 11th, 2022), Lloyd (January 11th, 2022), Pterodactylus (January 11th, 2022), Yazeh (January 11th, 2022)

Thanks

Another similar earlier reviewed tool has arrived for service, only in this time it is not necessary to reduce the tip size, but to change the shape to Italic.

Sailor 1911 Standard Black GT 14K Gold (made in Japan)

The shape of this pen is no different from the higher model Sailor 1911 Large reviewed earlier: the same cigar-shaped with pointed round ends, the same gold-plated fittings, the same black “precious resin” that “glows red” in the backlight … The only difference, looking ahead besides the nib, is the overall sizes, which are slightly smaller. The filling system is proprietary, by own Sailor format, cartridge-converter. Cap on thread, full closure in 1.5 turns, 2-start thread.

(updated post) http://lenskiy.org/2019/05/modern-gr...1911-standard/

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Cyril (January 15th, 2022), eachan (January 12th, 2022), Lloyd (January 12th, 2022), Pterodactylus (January 12th, 2022), Yazeh (January 12th, 2022)

Thanks

upd:

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Cyril (January 15th, 2022), Yazeh (January 12th, 2022)

Thanks

So you are retuning most of the pens?? Or prefer custom grind sometimes.
    I love Pilot and sailor pens! I have an average sets of pens from them. They are the only one I prefer and mostly my pens are Medium to fine nibs. They are amazing and many complain they have NAILS AND REDIGE ---- Mon-buttery -----nibs. I hate butter !!!!
    I like my nibs to sing and scream when they are gliding on papers.
    I find vintage nibs are ideal for many works as none of the two nibs( in the same brand ) are having similar character. They are all different . For that reason I love vintage pens.
    That is the feedback on papers that gives characters to the writing. It'll give a shapes and rhythm too to your lettering. So all ranges of pens in Sailor ,Pilot and Platinum pens with Fine to Fine medium nibs are great into cursive writing.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 15th, 2022), Yazeh (January 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Before thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I find vintage nibs are ideal for many works as none of the two nibs( in the same brand ) are having similar character. They are all different . For that reason I love vintage pens.
    I agree with you 100%. I also really like vintage pens, especially 1920-1940s, but nibs I prefer 1900s-1920s. True, these early pens like Aikin Lambert or Paul E Wirt are very thin for my hand .

As for modern pens - yes, basically this is what they ask me to fix or order grind. I also like modern pens, but more in appearance (some). Regarding feedback - I also dislike oilly oil, but I also dislike sandpaper. But I do what the owners of pens ask me to do, and everyone has different tastes. Basically, of course, they ask to do it smoothly, but sometimes there are opposite desires))

About Pilot, Sailor and Platinum - I don't like hard rigid nibs (like nails) and therefore I don't like Platinum, but I just love my Platinum 3776 Music which I regrind to Crisp Italic)). I love the Pilot pens a lot, I have a lot of Pilot pens mostly with soft nibs(Falcon), but my main drawing tool is the Capless VP with custom UEF nib. Now my dream is 845 in Vermillion ). I am neutral about Sailor, but I like the Realo model which I don't have and I like Zoom nib as a good material for further customization)).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Hi! I already have a review of the M200 model in Demonstrator design, but today I will add a classic version in black design, so I continue talking about budget models..

Pelikan Classic M200 Black (made in Germany) ~2020

This is a modern, actual and currently produced M200 model in a black resin body with green monitoring ink window. Filling system is piston-filler. Cap on thread, 3/4 turn closure/opening by 3-way thread.

Fix it nib after fall

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/01/modern-pelikan-classic-m200/

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 15th, 2022), Pterodactylus (January 15th, 2022), Yazeh (January 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Hello world! I already have several reviews on modern models this brand and Faber-Castell, and Graf von Faber-Castell, but there are always nuances and features that I want to know and share to you.

Graf von Faber-Castell Guilloche Black (made in Germany) 146540-45 2

The shape of body of this tool is strictly cylindrical with branded design of cap that expands to the top and for some reason reminds me of old hand pump for a well . The body of pen made from precious black resin with guilloche wavy lines, with hand-lacquered and repeatedly polished. Metal elements are made of brass and rhodium plated. The filling system is cartridge-converter, international format, but the model complete by branded converter. Cap on friction, closes with small and soft click at the end.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/01/modern-gr...ell-guilloche/

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (January 24th, 2022), Pterodactylus (January 24th, 2022), Yazeh (January 24th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I'm always amazed by how perfectly the subject of your sketching expresses something of style of each pen...it's a recontextualization of every design (for me, at least), and I really appreciate it.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Thank you very much! Sometimes I really look for individual theme personal to the pen, but sometimes I draw the first thing that came to my mind )

Thanks

Hey! So, gradually and slowly, I got to the first more or less serious modern instrument of this brand. No, of course, I already did a review on one of the smallest Kaweco Liliput pens, but that’s more like pampering and not a serious writing tool )

Kaweco Dia2 Black CT w|14K nib F (made in Germany)

This model is reminiscent of the early model of Kaweco Dia (83, 85, 87, 89, 90) from 1934-1939 of the last century. The body is cylindrical, with almost flat ends and characteristic notches arounds on both ends. The cap material is black opaque resin, while the body material is black lacquered brass, which adds extra weight to the pen. Filling system is cartridge-converter by international format. Cap on thread, 4-start thread, closing/opening in 1 turn.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/02/modern-kaweco-dia2-black-ct/

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 7th, 2022), mizgeorge (February 3rd, 2022), Pterodactylus (February 3rd, 2022), Yazeh (February 3rd, 2022)

Thanks

Hello everybody! I already have a review on exactly the same pen and usually I just add small changes to the old post as an addon. However, regrind nib to Crisp Italic is always interesting, so I will allow myself to make a personal post.

Conklin "Mark Twain" Signature Crescent-filler in Black Chased Hard Rubber w|custom Crisp Italic M 14K nib(made in USA|Italy) ~2007-2010

This is another modern model based on the historical one, and therefore the shape of this pen is as close as possible to the original (Conklin 2NL) – cylindrical with flat end on the body and rounded on the cap. This model is made of black ebonite with fine guilloche branded wavy pattern. Filling system is Crescent-filler, like the historical with a rubber sac. Cap on thread, 4-start thread, closing/opening in exactly 1 turn.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/02/ground-m-...escent-filler/

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 7th, 2022), Lloyd (February 7th, 2022), mizgeorge (February 7th, 2022), Pterodactylus (February 7th, 2022), Yazeh (February 7th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Beautiful - and that's a great looking nib!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Great job Andrew

Thanks

Thank you very much!

Thanks

Wonderful grind and drawing. I always enjoy your work. Too bad Conklin splashes their name so large across the pen and clip, kind ruins them for me.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to OCArt For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 7th, 2022)