Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Reviews of some modern fountain pens (will update)

Thanks

Default Re: Reviews of some modern fountain pens (will update)

Superb! Could the tail be narrowed to permit posting?

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Andrew_Lensky (October 21st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Love the addition Andrew and especially the fun video
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Superb! Could the tail be narrowed to permit posting?
    Thank you. I did narrowed end just for aestetic. I didn't plan this because I don't like posting, but it is possible to do it in the next projects or to order. I can further narrow the end of body, or create additional thread at the end for cap.
    About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org or watch on social networks
    FB: @ArtDesignPenS
    Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS
    Instagram: @andrew.lensky

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (October 21st, 2023)

Thanks

Happy Fountain Pen Day to all!

I decided to make a few more bodies to Pilot Falcon Elabo with small modernization – I added one more step to thread now it’s a two-start thread between cap and body.

Pilot Namiki Falcon Custom Ebonite body Ver 1.1

Detailed: http://lenskiy.org/2023/09/own-pilot...-ebonite-body/
    About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org or watch on social networks

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 3rd, 2023), Deb (November 4th, 2023), Kgbenson (November 4th, 2023), Lloyd (November 3rd, 2023), Scrawler (January 2nd, 2024), Yazeh (November 3rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,149 Posts

Excellent work Andrew. Thanks for showing the imperfect perfection

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 5th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    imperfect perfection
    Thank you for feedback!

Now I am covering one of the bodies by lacquer, and as circumstances permit, I will try to photos the matte, polished, and lacquered cases together.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 5th, 2023), Yazeh (November 5th, 2023)

Thanks

Hi friends! Finally, I can boast of my own fully created fountain pen. Of course, I didn’t make the nib and used a standard nib unit with Germany nib, but the rest was built by me from start to end. So, welcome to viewing.

Andrew Lensky “Tribute” – ebonite medium sized fountain pen w|JoWo #6 nib unit (made in Ukraine) prototype

The shape of this pen is a cylinder with rounded tops and is made entirely from ebonite by dark dark brown color in honor of the pens of the beginning of the last century as a tribute to the golden era of fountain pen writing. The filling system is a cartridge-converter of the international format and has a blind cap for piston knob. Cap on thread, two-step thread, open/close in 2.5 turns.

Description: http://lenskiy.org/2023/11/own-my-fi...-fountain-pen/

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

amk (November 11th, 2023), catbert (November 10th, 2023), Lloyd (November 10th, 2023), usk15 (November 11th, 2023), Yazeh (November 13th, 2023)

Thanks

Wow, I thought that was a vintage pen when I glanced at your last photo! A lovely creation.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Andrew_Lensky (November 11th, 2023)

Thanks

Thank you. I was inspired by the vintage design, but this pen was created this month))

Thanks

First batch "Tribute" in progress ...

Thanks

The second life of vintage fountain pen or what happens when people do not listen to the advice of experts. Maybe someone remembers that I gift this pen to a persistent school friend, and his inquisitiveness and unwillingness to accept advice almost destroyed it..

Rebirth in new ebonite body by vintage style to French DN fountain pen w|ss flexible nib (made in Ukraine) 2023

The background is that the current owner for some reason decided that the pen does not look good enough as it should be and for the sake of prevention decided to wash it, but not just clean, but soak it. The material that seemed similar to ebonite in practice turned out to be casein, so it simply dissolved from prolonged soaking, and after drying, the body was partially deformed, and the repaired cracks on the cap just cracked again. The body was completely damaged.

Review: http://lenskiy.org/2023/11/own-rebir...-ebonite-body/

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 23rd, 2023), Miss Fountain Pen (November 26th, 2023)

Thanks

Pilot Namiki Falcon Custom Ebonite body Ver 1.1

- Matte
    - Polished (semi-glossy)
    - Lacquered (glossy)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 24th, 2023), Miss Fountain Pen (November 26th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Lensky View Post
    The second life of vintage fountain pen or what happens when people do not listen to the advice of experts. Maybe someone remembers that I gift this pen to a persistent school friend, and his inquisitiveness and unwillingness to accept advice almost destroyed it..
    Oh, no... But to be fair, sometimes "expert advice" is crap. Y'know, "a fountain pen from manufacturer X will write best if you use manufacturer X's ink as well." Right. Sometimes, though, advice is given for good reason...

Congratulations on giving the pen a new life!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post
    "a fountain pen from manufacturer X will write best if you use manufacturer X's ink as well." :
    This is not expert advice, this is marketer advice. It is necessary to distinguish the quality of experts as well as products, contact to the right experts (people/nibmasters/fp servisemans who know their stuff).

Thanks

Hello everybody, as I promised, I’m back to you with testing my fountain pen. I made three pens to order, two of them with EF size nib and one with Crisp Italic nib.

Andrew Lensky “Tribute” – ebonite medium sized fountain pen w|JoWo #6 nib unit (made in Ukraine)

Review: http://lenskiy.org/2023/11/own-my-fi...-fountain-pen/

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

amk (November 30th, 2023), catbert (November 29th, 2023), Miss Fountain Pen (November 29th, 2023), Scrawler (January 2nd, 2024), Yazeh (November 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Lensky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post
    "a fountain pen from manufacturer X will write best if you use manufacturer X's ink as well." :
    This is not expert advice, this is marketer advice. It is necessary to distinguish the quality of experts as well as products, contact to the right experts (people/nibmasters/fp servisemans who know their stuff).
    Yes, agreed. But for a newbie, it can be hard to tell the difference! And it is possible to be too careful. For example: "unless you know what you're doing, don't try to fix/adjust nibs of expensive pens by yourself!" Good advice, right? Well, I wasn't sure I knew what I was doing, so I uninked a dry writer and stopped using it, while seriously considering doing the same with another similar pen whose dryness was going on my nerves. And then, just days ago, I thought to myself: "So... Worst case scenario, I ruin the nib, and then I can just go back to not using it. Best case scenario, I get a pen that I actually like writing with." What happened? I got a lovely writer. Two of them actually. Nice and wet.

Maybe your friend was thinking along the same lines: "The pen looks dirty and I don't like it. Worst case scenario, I ruin the pen and go back to not liking it. Best case scenario, I get a pen that I like." Except that in your friend's case, it didn't pay off.

I know, I know, it's still not the same. I mean, I only did the sort of thing that "pen experts" tell you to do "if you know what you're doing." Your friend did something else. But still, the general thinking process would have been roughly similar.

Thanks

Yes, but not quite. All the masters which I know say that before fixing a nib, you need to understand that without experience you can do worse. And then they already say that if the nib is dry, then the gap should be increased, if it is wet, then it should be reduced, some even provide pictures. That is, someone who is really interested in being able to make an effort and find useful advice on the Internet. If you can't find useful advice, then you shouldn't try to fix it. Some time ago I also was the same person who was looking these information))

As for my friend, he consulted. First, he completely disassembled the pen by peeling off the sac, although I did not advise him to do this, because he did not even have shellac to glue it back. Then I dissuaded him from prolonged soaking by giving my example with vintage English pens(Wavern, Burnham), but he did not listen. When he first got this pen it was fully adjusted and working perfectly, but beyond that I can't guarantee anything, nor the reasons why he decided to do what he did.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (December 1st, 2023)

Thanks

Draft prototype by personal order to Pilot Custom 743 section (also compatible with 742) based on my custom ebonite body project to Pilot Falcon Elabo. The final version plan to cover by lacquer.

compared to 743

in hand

posted

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 2nd, 2024), Scrawler (January 2nd, 2024)

Thanks

First of all: Merry Christmas!

A little over a year ago I got a long dreamed of and desired Pilot Custom 845 Vermillion and a year later such an unexpected incident. I never planned to buy this pen and I didn’t even look in this direction, but chance decided everything. I happened to see the body of this model for sale, the most attractive color for me, which had just been posted, and luckily I was the first one who take an interest in it. Then this beauty lay a little longer and waited for the time when I finished my other projects. At first I was thinking of trying to install a regular steel nib on it like I did with the Sailor 1911 KOP, but suddenly I was offered a slightly tired Aurora Talentum with an old design nib and my mosaic came together at the same time. So let’s go:

Pilot Custom Urushi w|14k Aurora Large nib & my ebonite feed (made in Japan/Italy/Ukraine) FKV-88SR-R

This is top model of the Custom line and, like the younger 845, has a cylindrical shape with flat tops. The material of the body is black resin(or plastic?), but covered by red color Vermillion urushi varnish(allegedly in three layers). The resin is not (red)transparent in the light, so we will consider it not precious)). The filling system is cartridge-converter, of its proprietary Pilot format, and accepts all types of converters and cartridges of its brand. Cap on thread, 2-starts thread, opening/closing in 1.5 turns.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2023/12/modern-pi...-feed-and-nib/

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 24th, 2023), Scrawler (January 2nd, 2024), Yazeh (January 1st, 2024)

Thanks

Hello everyone on the first day of the new year! I understand that as a writer this is an ordinary high-quality modern fountain pen, but from the point of view of color scheme, it is an unbeatable combination, as good as the Montblanc Meisterstuck 146R Bordeaux. So I’m couldn’t resist))).

Montblanc Meisterstuck 147R Traveler LeGrand Bordeaux (made in Germany)

This tool is also have cigar-shaped form (torpedo) made of dark-red (bordeaux), glossy resin with gold-plated elements. Cap on thread, full closure in 1 1/6 turn with three-start thread. The filling system is not a classic piston, but just only cartridge. The tail section, which in the classical system is the piston knob, in this case is the tail section of the tray for 2 cartridges: one working, the second reserve. The system does not needed manually mounted cartridge by pressure, this did automatically when the tray is screwed into the body. There is a locking tab inside the tray that fixed cartridge from moving.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2024/01/modern-mo...eler-bordeaux/

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

catbert (January 1st, 2024), Scrawler (January 2nd, 2024), Yazeh (January 1st, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,250 Times in 3,938 Posts

Andrew your images no longer seem to be uploading correctly here anymore. That's a shame.
    Posts #318 and 319 only have blue squares with question marks in there.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens