Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviews of some modern fountain pens (will update)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 249 Posts

Default Re: Reviews of some modern fountain pens (will update)

If you expect or long for something good long enough, sooner or later you will get it, but perhaps unfortunately, the requirements and expectations for this object are formed, subconsciously, much higher than for something else that you will receive by chance. So one of my dreams in the world of fountain pens was to have a traditional Urushi pen, especially after holding the Nakaya Cigar Kikyo, moreover, I even dreamed in the Aka Tamenuri color.

Wancher DreamPen True Urushi Aka-Tamenuri w|14K JoWo nib B size (handmade in Japan) true craftsmanship

It is common to call this shape “Torpedo” or “Cigar” as in the Montblanc Meisterstuk 149 or Sailor Large 1911 models, but in this case it is 100% true, because the edges of cap coincides to the body. The material is real Japanesse ebonite, laquered by real Urushi with complex multi-layer color from red to dark red/brown, which is called Aka-Tamenuri, which means “red laquer” in Japanese. The filling system is a cartridge/converter by International standard. Cap on thread with one-way threading, closes/opens in one full turn. Body without clip.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/07/modern-wa...-aka-tamenuri/
    About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org or watch on social networks
    FB: @ArtDesignPenS
    Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS
    Instagram: @andrew.lensky

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

amk (July 22nd, 2022), carlos.q (July 18th, 2022), catbert (July 20th, 2022), Chrissy (July 18th, 2022), Deb (July 19th, 2022), Kgbenson (October 19th, 2022), Lloyd (July 18th, 2022), Yazeh (July 18th, 2022)

Thanks

Hello everybody! Yesterday was such a day that: magnetic storms, the general feeling is not very good, and the sad mood came after the post about the fact that Japanese Urushi is not Japanese at all, but Vietnamese, but, but… I don’t remember to which pen personally I modified this nib, but it happened that I this nib had it lying free. So, while I’m thinking about what to do with original B nib, because B is useless to me, I decided to combine a good nib with beautiful pen.

Wancher DreamPen True Urushi Aka-Tamenuri w|custom UEF Noodler’s Flexible nib

There is no point in full review this pen, because I already did it the other day before, so everyone can go to the original Wancher DreamPen review. Regarding this modification. I have another original Noodlers Flex #6 (35) nib that has a slightly wider tail compared to the standard JoWo nib, and slightly more rounded arch, so I narrowed the tail of this nib a bit. Then I removed some material on the shoulders for more softness, and of course, reground tip, because the original tip was too thick for fine writing. This nib now looks like this:

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/07/modern-hy...lers-flexible/
    About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org or watch on social networks

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

amk (July 22nd, 2022), Chrissy (July 21st, 2022), Deb (July 20th, 2022), Kgbenson (October 19th, 2022), Lloyd (July 20th, 2022), sospiro (July 21st, 2022), Yazeh (July 20th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Andrew sorry to hear about your disappointment. However, like you said, if you like the pen who cares where it's made
    I especially liked the video, your handwriting is exquisite

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Andrew_Lensky (July 23rd, 2022), Kgbenson (October 19th, 2022), Lloyd (July 20th, 2022)

Thanks

Thanks Yazeh! Probably not, it is not the fact that it is made in Vietnam that disappoints, but the fact that the manufacturer hides it. I guess I would buy it anyway, because Nakaya is hard for me to reach, especially since I don't like Platinum nibs)).

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Kgbenson (October 19th, 2022), Lloyd (July 21st, 2022), Yazeh (July 21st, 2022)

Thanks

BTW I forgot to mention that nib looks fantastic. Noodler's should team up with you, to make these new nibs. I wouldn't mind buying a couple of those nibs

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Andrew_Lensky (July 23rd, 2022), Lloyd (July 21st, 2022)

Thanks

I think that firstly, they have a nibgrinder themselves, and secondly, I sometimes write not very well about these nibs (I have several posts), and I once mentioned this Noodler`s and KanWrite are one and the same with production in India)). So I am not the best candidate for cooperation)). By the way, in all time I has 10 such nibs which passed through me, 9 of them I modified in the same way, so now I have one modified and one original, other 8 I sold many time ago.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (July 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

Hi! Today, review of the most ordinary pen, just a pen and nothing more, a pen with big name that still comes to mind for many ordinary people when the question concerns writing instruments.

Parker IM Gun Metal CT (made in China) S0856240

An ordinary metal fountain pen by cylindrical shape, almost straight, with glossy metal flat tops. The body is brushed, then tinted to gun color and covered by laquer. The filling system is a cartridge-converter, of its proprietary Parker format. Cap on friction with click at the end.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/07/modern-parker-im/

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 24th, 2022), Deb (July 24th, 2022), Jon Szanto (July 23rd, 2022), Kgbenson (October 19th, 2022), Yazeh (July 24th, 2022)

Thanks

Hello! Another Parker, another Sonnet)). I already did some Parker Sonnet reviews 2-3 years ago, but they were not bilingual, so I will allow myself to repeat myself a little. If you would be interesting to see more photos of Sonnets and nibs, use the Parker Sonnet Cissele and Parker Sonnet Laque links.

Parker Sonnet Laque Midnight Blue (made in France) 2Q.1995

The body is cylindrical, slightly tapering with rounded end. Externally, it is a steel body covered by laque with speckled texture of black-blue colors called Midnight Blue. The filling system is a cartridge-converter, of its proprietary Parker format. Cap on friction with slight click at the end.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/07/moderm-pa...net-steel-nib/

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 24th, 2022), Deb (July 24th, 2022), Kgbenson (October 19th, 2022), Yazeh (July 24th, 2022)

Thanks

Sometimes it happens that is hold a seemingly good (notbad) pen, but without original nib, which is almost impossible to purchase separately, so what to do? A good tool should work, so I start looking for ways to fix it and at the end something works out)))

S.T. Dupont Olympio XL Black Chinese Lacquer w|custom non-original Italic M nib (made in France) 481574

I thought for a some time how to describe this shape of pen, because given our time and situation, I don’t want to compare it either with torpedoes or with submarines, so the shape resembles a baseball bat, slightly narrowed at the end and increases to the cap. This, one might say, is a common form for modern S.T.Dupont top models. The material of the body is brass, in this case covered by black “Chinese lacquer”. The filling system is cartridge-converter, International format, complete by a branded converter with red piston handle. The cap on friction with a branded click at the end similar to the famous sound of S.T.Dupont lighters (I already published the video and sound in one of the previous reviews of another Dupont pen).

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/08/modern-s-...inese-lacquer/

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 2nd, 2022), Deb (August 2nd, 2022), Kgbenson (October 19th, 2022), Yazeh (August 2nd, 2022)

Thanks

Andrew, other permanent browns are either r& k Dokument brown or de atraments Document or artist brown.
    I have tried several de atramentis document Inks, not the brown though, and have been rather impressed by behavior and quality.
    Kakimori has also nice pigment inks, but the two sample I tried have long drying times.
    And last I'll mention the driest inks ever, Gutenberg Urkundentinten IG G10.
    It's a pale brown Ink, which is nice for washes... but very unpleasant with fie nibs ...

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Andrew_Lensky (August 2nd, 2022), Lloyd (August 2nd, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    r& k Dokument brown or de atraments Document or artist brown.
    Thanks Yazeh! R&K is probably the first ink I'll try if everything goes well in the future. I've been thinking about them for a long time, about the Sketch Ink series. From DeAtramentis, I tried dokument blue, black and brown, I have a double reaction: the color is good(mean brown), but this ink is very liquid and more flow and needs in very good expensive paper, and second this ink is washable up to 30%, so in not every case is accessible.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 3rd, 2022)

Thanks

Last year, 2 weeks before the start of the 11.11 sale, I bought this model in China, which, by the way, delivered for more than 2 months, and arrived after the New Year, but I’m not talking about that. So, overtaking the review, I will say that this is Aurora “for the poor”)). Not so long ago I saw a post on FB in which the author wrote that he does not see the difference in use between the Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 and its Chinese clone(!!), so, I can say that this pen is completely for they – who does not see the difference)) . I write all my reviews entirely based on my own impressions and I do not receive money for promoting products, and 99% of my pens I bought by my own money, so I have no loyalty or resentment should be attributed to me. And I am 100% against to the cloning policy that is inherent in the Chinese industry fountain pens.

Moonman Majohn T5 Black (made in China)

In appearance, this model is a replica of the well-known Aurora Optima model and has cylindrical shape slightly tapering towards to the ends with conical tops. The material of item is very similar to ordinary plastic, in this case black color, where the section, piston knob and top are made of glossy plastic, and the body with cap are made of matte plastic. The filling system is a true piston-filler, and has ink window for monitoring but with nuance. The nuance is that the piston does not move to the end and piston head is not visible in the window. Cap on thread, 2-start thread, closes/opens in 2.5 turns.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/08/modern-moonman-majohn-t5/

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 8th, 2022), Deb (August 8th, 2022), Kgbenson (October 19th, 2022), Lloyd (August 7th, 2022), Pterodactylus (August 8th, 2022), Yazeh (August 7th, 2022)

Thanks

Loved the tomato comparison

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Andrew_Lensky (August 9th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Loved the tomato comparison
    Thanks))))

Portrait of woman - old review but new sketch

Faber-Castell Ondoro Black (made in Germany)

According to the manufacturer, the tool has a classic-style shape, but it is difficult to agree with this because it is a hexagonal form with slightly rounded tops. The body is made of “precious” resin, polished to a high gloss with cap is made of chromed metal. Filling system – cartridge/converter by international standard. Cap on friction with light click at the end. The nib with a plastic feed is mounted on friction in plastic collar and screwed into the grip.

Review: http://lenskiy.org/2020/09/modern-fa...-ondoro-black/

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 15th, 2022), Pterodactylus (August 9th, 2022), Yazeh (August 9th, 2022)

Thanks

Hey! At the end of summer last year, I saw a video post on FB (I don’t remember the author) with a modern flexible nib made in India. The hand was very experiences and the work of the pen looked very attractive. In the description it was noted as Kanwrite Super Flex Gold nib second generation (v.2). I was already a little known with Kanwrite Flexible (aka Nodlers Flexible) steel nibs, so I decided that anything was possible and went searching on Internet. By chance, I came across a post on Reddit that mentioned these nibs and contacts directly to the manufacturer, I wrote and was answered by Sandeep Awasthi himself. We chatted for a bit, but in the end I bought a pen with two nibs, but I was only able to test it now, so let’s to see:

Kanpur Writers Kanwrite Heritage DT Orange Black (made in India) SKU: KW-HDT-01

According to the part of model name (Heritage), we have a classic cylindrical shape that taper slightly to the ends with flat tops. It stands out except for the shape of top on cap, which personally reminds me of some kind of top hat by respectable person in asian culture. According to the manufacturer, the body material is plastic (acrylic/CAB), but the smell was characteristic of Indian celluloid, which is known to many owners by Noodlers pens – CAB is cellulose acetate butyrate. This smell remained for almost 9 months, but now it is not as strong as it was at first. So I understand that the black part is acrylic, and the orange part is this celluloid. By the way, the orange part is not uniformly colored, and has inconspicuous streaks of a slightly darker color. The filling system is a real piston-filler. Cap on thread, two-starts threads, close/open in 2.5 turns.

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/08/modern-kanwrite-heritage-dt/

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

amk (August 16th, 2022), Chrissy (August 11th, 2022), Kgbenson (October 19th, 2022), Pterodactylus (August 11th, 2022), Yazeh (August 11th, 2022)

Thanks

So today’s promised continue – Titanium (Ti) Ultra Flex nib unit Kanwrite – welcome!
    When I contacted Sandeep and say him about the video and asked him about the softest flex nib in particular, he said yes the 14K solid gold nib is the softest, but he personally recommends the titanium Ti Ultra Flex because it is more springy which it will be better in skilled hands. So I decided to order the Ti Ultra Flex too.

Kanwrite Heritage DT Orange Black w|Titanium Ti Ultra Flex nib (made in India)

Continue review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/08/modern-kanwrite-heritage-dt/

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 15th, 2022), Kgbenson (October 19th, 2022), Yazeh (August 12th, 2022)

Thanks

Thanks for the excellent reviews and intricate sketches. :thumbup:
    A pity the waterfall feed wasn't suited to that nib. Couldn't you have tested it with the gold nib feed?

I wonder what will they do with the new Sheaffer line of inks since they have been recently rebranded and remade in China.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Andrew_Lensky (August 13th, 2022)

Thanks

Thank you to for reading! I specifically wanted to try it as it came from the factory. Of course, I will try it on the gold nib feed, maybe then on something else and probably modify these two nibs if it posible, but for right first review, it will be need to test as it is.

Regarding Sheaffer, there is a high probability that they will not touch anything at all for now, I think they will make parts in China where there is production, then bring them to India as parts to reduce taxes, then assemble pens and sell it in the domestic market at a competitive price. As it once was with Parker in Australia. Then we will see how it will be.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 12th, 2022)

Thanks

Hello everybody! I think it was predicted that I would not leave this nib as thick as it was originally from factory. Along the way, there was one problem that I didn’t notice right away, although full review it was did special without any work before test, as an average buyer. So,

Kanwrite Titanium (Ti) Ultra Flex adjusted and ground to UEF

Full work and review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/08/ground-to...ti-ultra-flex/

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 15th, 2022), Deb (August 15th, 2022), Lloyd (August 16th, 2022), TSherbs (August 15th, 2022), Yazeh (August 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Andrew, that poem is so heartbreakingly beautiful. It reminds me of poems written by WWI soldiers.....

Thank you

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 16th, 2022)