Thread: Interesting Experience

Thanks

Default Interesting Experience

So I've been on FPG for about 5 or 6 years and have bought from some of its members, although I don't post much here. I've also been on FPN for probably 15 years and have posted there, and bought and sold lots pens. (I'm also a member of Pentrace for near 20 years.) I'm currently in the market for a Pelikan "Originals of Their Time" nib, so I posted on both sites what I was looking for. I received three replies indicating that they had the nib. All three replies were from members of FPN or FPG. One was from a member that signed up January 2021, the other two replies were from members that signed up in April 2021. Each person that replied told me they had the nib and we agreed on a price, however none of them seem to be on the internet anywhere! I've gladly bought pens from folks who have been members of FPN, FPG or Pentrace and have some history there, and I've never had a problem, ever. The three people that responded all say they are "legit" etc. etc. but they don't seem to have any web presence whatsoever. So I thought though how I might get comfortable with them enough to send a relatively significant amount of cash to someone. I asked about facebook or ANY other sites that they may have a history with. None had a history anywhere.

Now I'm just trying to take precautions before I send money to someone I don't know. So the question: (1) am I unreasonable? and (2) how do you verify someone enough to send them money for something when you don't know them?
    Last edited by vdiantonio; April 29th, 2021 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Default Re: Interesting Experience

Quote Originally Posted by vdiantonio View Post
    So I've been on FPG for about 5 or 6 years and have bought from some of its members, although I don't post much here. I've also been on FPN for probably 15 years and have posted there, and bought and sold lots pens. (I'm also a member of Pentrace for near 20 years.) I'm currently in the market for a Pelikan "Originals of Their Time" nib, so I posted on both sites what I was looking for. I received three replies indicating that they had the nib. All three replies were from members of FPN or FPG. One was from a member that signed up January 2021, the other two replies were from members that signed up in April 2021. Each person that replied told me they had the nib and we agreed on a price, however none of them seem to be on the internet anywhere! I've gladly bought pens from folks who have been members of FPN, FPG or Pentrace and have some history there, and I've never had a problem, ever. The three people that responded all say they are "legit" etc. etc. but they don't seem to have any web presence whatsoever. So I thought though how I might get comfortable with them enough to send a relatively significant amount of cash to someone. I asked about facebook or ANY other sites that they may have a history with. None had a history anywhere.

Now I'm just trying to take precautions before I send money to someone I don't know. So the question: (1) am I unreasonable? and (2) how do you verify someone enough to send them money for something when you don't know them?
    You are fully reasonable. You are free to do whatever you want, but I am even more cautious than you with my money. *I* would not send money to a person I could not identify and verify somehow.

It sounds like you have done enough transactions to know when to proceed, and when not to.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

vdiantonio (April 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vdiantonio View Post

I think you are wise to be skeptical. There is a great deal of scamming going on these days, and not just in the FP world. Ask if they can give you references from any of their previous buyers. Otherwise, I would wait for a seller with some legitimate credentials.
    Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Note For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My personal opinion is that caution is a good thing when money is involved. With that, I would say you are not being unreasonable.

Verification? I don't know how that is possible without the individual having a 'track record' -- a performance history. I wouldn't choose to be the one they use to establish such a history, but that's me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I don't feel you are being unreasonable. I've sold/purchased pens on this board, eBay and I've purchased on FPN (maybe sold too but I can't remember). FPG has a rating system and I usually point people that ask to my rating along with my eBay rating. Other than sending funds in a disputable manner (ie Paypal goods & services or the like), I am not aware of any other way to vet a seller. I would err on the side of caution if it is a sum you cannot afford to lose.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Did any of the replies include evidence that they had the nib? Have any of these potential sellers got a post count where you can see their interactions with other members of the community?

If no to both questions, they are scammers.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a low profile too: I won’t do Facebook, abhor reddit & no longer do Twitter.

BUT But but… new accounts who just happen to have exactly what you’re looking for? Pretty unlikely. Why should these people have a sought after item when established dealers & users don’t?

I’d ignore these people and wait for an offer from someone more established.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There are no posts by any of them on any site! That’s the problem! If they posted on the sites I would usually feel fine sending them money. One did send me a pic, but it was the incorrect nib (through no fault of his, he misread my request)

Thanks

Appreciate all the input. Thanks