Thread: Vintage Aurora 2cart

Thanks

Default Vintage Aurora 2cart

Good evening everyone, hope you are well and keeping safe.
    I have a 50s 2cart, this is what is written on the section included in the Aurora shield.
    The barrell is black and it ticks as there is only one cartridge in the holder. If I put another cartridge the ticking disappears. I read somewhere that this is a peculiarity of this pen.
    I don't know which nib it has, it is hooded. The roundel on the back of the barrell is round and it looks as if there is a hole. The cap looks gold it is striated and the name of an Italian tractor caompany, SAME, is engraved on it. Probably it was a company present at the time.

Where can I find info on the original pen model ?

Online I hove found only articles and photos of the new duocart by Aurora which by no means is the same thing.

On top of this which cartridges can I use today ?
    So far I have been filling the empty cartridgs with a syringe

Thank you
    Marco

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Default Re: Vintage Aurora 2cart

Platinum converters and cartridges will fit a vintage Duocart. There is also a platinum adapter to allow you to use international short carts.

The little bell alarm can be quietened with a bit of soft paper, or a small piece cut from a pencil eraser.

As for more information, there's plenty out there - just remember to search for "vintage Aurora 88 Duocart". However, this might get you started: https://matspens.blog/2020/11/02/vin...-ultra-review/

They're nice pens with great nibs.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Using an 888P as my fountain pen for the last two years now. Longest I've used one pen in many decades. Look down in the barrel and there is likely a little chain at the bottom. But with the longer Platinum cartridges or converter the bell no longer tolls anyway.

Thanks

@mizgeorge thank you for the link. So it is a pen of the Aurora 88 family, I didn'd know this.

@jar I also have an 888 P and am a bit puzzled. The barrell on my 888 P has the ball while the 2Cart doesn't so I swapped them around. But, looking at the photos of the article mizgeorge linked though now I'm not so sure about the swap.

jar, please, in the attached photo which barrell does your 888 P have ? The left one or the right one ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Left.

But that's not important anyway.

The purpose of the noise maker was to remind the user that he only had one cartridge in the pen and to buy some more. But the Platinum cartridges are the same lengths as two of the old DuoCarts and so with a Platinum cartridge or converter in the pen the noise maker thinks that there are two cartridges and so it sits quietly.
    Last edited by jar; May 13th, 2021 at 04:55 AM.

Thanks

@jar I get your point, with the new cartridges the 'noise' is not essential.
    I replaced the 'noisy' barrell on the 888 P as it was originally.
    The 2cart has a 'silent' barrell, as it was originally.
    Amazing how pieces can be swapped around and they fit.

Still, the 2cart without the 'noisy' barrell is non compliant to the original manufacturing process if one wants to buy the pen as it was. Correct ?

At least now I know that I can use Platinum cartridges instead of filling the original ones with a syringe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoA64 View Post
    @jar I get your point, with the new cartridges the 'noise' is not essential.
    I replaced the 'noisy' barrell on the 888 P as it was originally.
    The 2cart has a 'silent' barrell, as it was originally.
    Amazing how pieces can be swapped around and they fit.

Still, the 2cart without the 'noisy' barrell is non compliant to the original manufacturing process if one wants to buy the pen as it was. Correct ?

At least now I know that I can use Platinum cartridges instead of filling the original ones with a syringe.
    Almost all the DuoCarts I've owned or found over the decades had the bell removed. Even when the cartridges were still being made many owners did not find the "reminder" an asset.

Thanks

Thank you.
    To those who have a 2cart, the barrell you have is like the right one in the photo?