Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which papers to try out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Which papers to try out

I enjoy using Life Writing Paper that I purchased at Jetpens.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 23rd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarish View Post
    I thought my favorite was tomoe (with Stalogy being extremely similar) but to my surprise I have also very much enjoyed MD Cotton (available in a unique pad with 2 sides gummed and one corner cut away). I did not like basildon bond. You might like to get the pad of paper samples for fountain pens assembled by Yamamoto which includes the cosmo air light paper that is the latest fad after tomoe. Fountainpenlove.com also sells packs of paper samples which might be of interest.
    Midori cotton is not fp friendly in my experience. But great for sketching...though expensive for what it is...
    I wasn't so sure of Stalogy... But it grew on me....

Yoseka stationary has also interesting notebooks, though their often sold out....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    If it is for correspondence you might want to look into Amalfi paper.
    Oh, that's nice. I click on the link and there's a "flash sale" of wonderful Amalfi stationary. 25% off. I...must...resist!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    If it is for correspondence you might want to look into Amalfi paper.
    Oh, that's nice. I click on the link and there's a "flash sale" of wonderful Amalfi stationary. 25% off. I...must...resist!
    We are the Amalfi. Resistance is futile

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 11th, 2021)

Thanks

I have also been recommended something like this: https://fountainpenlove.com/shop/

This looks amazing. For $15-30 you can try pretty much every paper that has been recommended here. The problem is, shipping is $25, which is as much as two of the large packs + 30% import fees + 23% VAT. And that's closing in on 100€ for a few pages of paper. Dang. Sucks to be European.

Thanks

I thought my favorite was tomoe (with Stalogy being extremely similar) but to my surprise I have also very much enjoyed MD Cotton (available in a unique pad with 2 sides gummed and one corner cut away). I did not like basildon bond. You might like to get the pad of paper samples for fountain pens assembled by Yamamoto which includes the cosmo air light paper that is the latest fad after tomoe. Fountainpenlove.com also sells packs of paper samples which might be of interest.
    MD cotton? I find that so hard to write on, it’s so textured. Doesn’t give me the smooth feeling I like. The other Mindori paper, the diary one, is the one I prefer.

My current favorite is the TR 68gsm that I’ve so far only found in Endless Recorder notebooks. I have a little Yamamoto notebook, not sure which of their papers is in it, but I like it with very fine nibs...a little too absorbent with broader nibs. I just ordered Cosmo Light - can’t wait to try that one!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post

MD cotton? I find that so hard to write on, it’s so textured. Doesn’t give me the smooth feeling I like. The other Mindori paper, the diary one, is the one I prefer.

My current favorite is the TR 68gsm that I’ve so far only found in Endless Recorder notebooks. I have a little Yamamoto notebook, not sure which of their papers is in it, but I like it with very fine nibs...a little too absorbent with broader nibs. I just ordered Cosmo Light - can’t wait to try that one!
    You can find a lot of notebooks with 68gsm TR paper on etsy.

Thanks

So, I can't remember where I got this link but this takes you to a page where you can buy a sample pack of Japanese fountain pen-friendly paper by Yamamoto Paper. https://yamamotopaper.com/cn7/cn8/pg60.html

Thanks

Look for Taroko Design - Enigma notebooks. 384 pages....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    So, I can't remember where I got this link but this takes you to a page where you can buy a sample pack of Japanese fountain pen-friendly paper by Yamamoto Paper. https://yamamotopaper.com/cn7/cn8/pg60.html
    Esty message
    This shop is taking a short break.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Esty message
    This shop is taking a short break.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

If you want loose sheets I looked for Tomoe River paper on Amazon yesterday and packs of 52gsm and 68gsm are available. You start off on the 52gsm page but there is also an option box to check for the 68gsm.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I found in EU store that sales paper sample from Yamamoto;

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8216105..._click=1&cns=1

I also ordered some Rössler paper - seemingly some high quality German paper with 100 g/m^2. Anyone has any experience with this paper? I'll see how it is.

https://www.roessler.eu/

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (May 10th, 2021), Yazeh (May 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If you want loose sheets I looked for Tomoe River paper on Amazon yesterday and packs of 52gsm and 68gsm are available. You start off on the 52gsm page but there is also an option box to check for the 68gsm.
    Thanks, I will check that out!

Thanks

Look for Taroko Design - Enigma notebooks. 384 pages....
    Ohh, this was on one of my wishlists at one point, then I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks

Tomoe River has to be tried out if you’re in the fountain pen hobby. That being said, it’s a niche product, useful IMO primarily for journaling. Why? It’s flimsy (at least the 52 gsm I’ve tried) and while it doesn’t bleed or feather greatly, it exhibits plenty of show through. The pressure from writing also etches the reverse side of the sheet you’re writing on. I would hesitate to write even informal correspondence on it. I read on another forum someone asked for stationery recommendations and sure enough Tomoe River and washi tape popped up. Those are fine choices if you like the DIY/crafting school of stationery, but for many people it’s far outside of the mainstream compared to Crane, Southworth, Smythson, and other heavyweight papers. Has anyone ever sold engraved or even thermographed stationery on TR? I rest my case. Will I continue using it? Sure, just in appropriate situations.
    Last edited by Inkflow; May 11th, 2021 at 03:34 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Inkflow For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (May 11th, 2021)

Thanks

I used to buy vintage onion skin paper a lot too. It is very fountain pen friendly but while you could write on both sides, it's best to use just one side. The show-through turns a lot of people off but I enjoy using it. In some respects, it reminds me of Tomoe River but it feels slightly thicker but slightly less opaque.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inkflow View Post
    Tomoe River has to be tried out if you’re in the fountain pen hobby. That being said, it’s a niche product, useful IMO primarily for journaling. Why? It’s flimsy (at least the 52 gsm I’ve tried) continue using it? Sure, just in appropriate situations.
    Tomoe 68gr is very different. Quite an enjoyable paper actually.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inkflow View Post
    Tomoe River has to be tried out if you’re in the fountain pen hobby. That being said, it’s a niche product, useful IMO primarily for journaling. Why? It’s flimsy (at least the 52 gsm I’ve tried) continue using it? Sure, just in appropriate situations.
    Tomoe 68gr is very different. Quite an enjoyable paper actually.
    I’d like to try the 68gsm and it’s currently offered in a journal format some people have liked.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

This is a bit off the wall I suppose, but if you have a paper company not too far away (postal cost wise) you can often get some interesting samples to try out. I've done this on occasion. You don't get much more than a few sheets, but if you like it prices for more are usually quite reasonable.