Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamy 2000 Makrolon Review- Masterpiece since 1966 but it has some flaws you must know

Thanks

Default Lamy 2000 Makrolon Review- Masterpiece since 1966 but it has some flaws you must know

Lamy 2000 is probably the only pen which has maintained it’s popularity since it’s launch in 1966.It’s an iconic design & is nearly a perfect pen with just some minor flaws for a normal user with normal requirements. It is & it has always been a popular choice for people looking for good quality, durable and a starter gold nib pen. This particular model of Lamy has never got out fashion & still is a very popular due to it’s simple design & easy availability everywhere.

Pros-

Timeless Design

Nice Piston With Great Ink Capacity Pen

Reliability

Easy Availability

Durability

Great Pricing (You can still find it around $99 on sales)

Comes with a legacy

True Workhorse which is good for long writing sessions

Post-able

Well Balanced

Snap on cap

Nice 14k gold nib which is usually wet out of the box (but it may require basic tuning in some cases)

Nib Units are available separately with some retailers

Cons-

Poor Quality Control

Some very small parts can easily lost while cleaning or disassembling

Cap nubs could be annoying for few guys

Only 1 black color.

Poor Packaging

Retail prices are just too much & still Lamy is constantly increasing them

Some people don’t like hooded nibs

Specifications-

Capped Length: 5.5 in.(139.7mm) Posted Length: 6.188 in.(157.2mm) Length of Body: 4.9 in.(124.5mm) Length of Cap: 2.6 in.(66.0mm) Diameter of Body: 0.5 in.(12.7mm) Diameter of Cap: 0.6 in.(15.2mm) Weight: 0.8 oz.(22.68g)

Body Material: Makrolon Section Material: Metal Nib Material: Gold

Fill Mechanism: Piston Cartridge Type: Bottled Ink Ink Capacity: 1.35ml Cap Type: Snap On(Magnetic) Postable: Yes Demonstrator: No Clip Style: Spring Lever

Lamy 2000 Makrolon*no doubt is a classic fountain pen & is most common pen that most enthusiasts have or will like to get. It’s could recommend it to someone who is looking a simple looking fountain pen with a good nib which you can take anywhere you want & is reliable writer. Makrolon itself feels quite pleasant in hand – slightly textured. The matte finish of pen looks simple but is quite unique. I don’t recall other pen apart from Kaco Edge which has such feel & texture (which is called a Lamy 2000 clone by some people but I feel they are different designs).

Nib-*The hooded medium nib is made from 14K gold ,it has a some amount of springiness but don’t expect any wonders. The flow is vey good and starts immediately after some days too. The nib is extremely smooth with just a little bit of feedback. You will like the nib for sure , but yeah*Lamy is inconsistent with nibs*, And their is sweet spot issue in some cases too.

Performance-*It is a piston filler with an ink capacity of approximately of 1.35 ml. It is a nice filling mechanism overall & work flawlessly. The pen has ink window too; although it is not that great. But yeah it is helpful. This is a great workhorse pen & you won’t have any troubles. It’s a slip cap, so a slight pull is all that is needed to uncap the pen and get writing. *Removing the cap really reveals what all the fuss is about. *There are no steps between elements or weird changes of angle, just a simple and continuous curve from where the nib emerges from the section to the end of the barrel.The body is round with blunt, flat ends & is comfortable to hold .

There is a short brushed metal section which leads the eye down to a small, partially hooded 14K rhodium-plated gold nib. *The only departure from curved lines comes with the underside of the section, which angles up more sharply towards the underside of the feed. Breather hole is hidden so it prevents pen from drying out .Some may not like this short brushed metal section.

Overall-*This is a great starter gold nib pen, its a simple design but its elegant . Nib is nice & flow is very good. It is a durable pen ,it will last you for years. It’s a nice pen if you get it for between $100-150.It’s not worth the current MRP. You can get Safari with gold nib too,I enjoy writing with it more.

Full review link -*https://inkpenlover.wordpress.com/20...ve-some-flaws/[InkPenLover](https://inkpenlover.wordpress.com/20...ve-some-flaws/)

Sent from my M2010J19CI using Tapatalk

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Inkpenlover For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 1st, 2023), Chrissy (May 4th, 2021), mana (October 21st, 2022), Motomachi10 (October 21st, 2022), penwash (May 5th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (May 14th, 2021), whorne (May 4th, 2021), Yazeh (May 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Lamy 2000 Makrolon Review- Masterpiece since 1966 but it has some flaws you must

Thanks for the review.

The sweet spot is a trade-off for one of the 2000’s better features: the squared-off tipping. Because the medium and broader nibs have this squarish tipping, they write with some line variation between horizontal and vertical strokes. However, if one rotates the pen, this same squarish tipping will produce skips and unpleasant feedback. Round tipped pens will have no such problems, but lack the line variation.

I like black pens and prefer pens that don’t scream for attention. If there were purple swirly sparkly Lamy 2000s, i would probably not buy one. As for the minimal packaging, it means less clutter and less crap to go in a landfill.
    Last edited by guyy; May 4th, 2021 at 08:30 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 4th, 2021), Inkpenlover (May 4th, 2021), penwash (May 5th, 2021), silverlifter (May 4th, 2021), Yazeh (May 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Lamy 2000 Makrolon Review- Masterpiece since 1966 but it has some flaws you must

As I said over on FPN, I see no basis in the blanket claim of "poor quality control". Nibs aside (ie., the unjustified complaints about a sweet spot from people unaccustomed to hooded nibs that do not provide a specific visual cue about orientation, and the stubbish nature of the grinds), the fit and finish of these pens is exceptional.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this on FPN, but the cracked sections aren't a QC issue either, but due to the recent phenomena of people fetishising regular and complete disassembly to clean the pens, and then inevitably overtightening them when they put them back together.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 4th, 2021), dneal (May 12th, 2021), guyy (May 4th, 2021), jeffj (May 8th, 2022), Jon Szanto (May 5th, 2021), penwash (May 5th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (May 5th, 2021), welch (May 7th, 2021), Yazeh (May 4th, 2021)

Thanks

I agree with Silverlifter. I don't see any basis for the claim that Lamy has poor QC. These won't write like a blob-tipped pen -- and that's a good thing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 5th, 2021)

Thanks

I concur that the pen is flawlessly made. Not even a visible seam for the piston knob, which operates so smoothly. I also like being able to post my cap without fear of marring the pen's finish. My only difficulty has been the OB nib and finding its sweet spot. I was trying to figure out whether I should swap the nib but it's somewhat scarce as a spare unit. Regarding colors, I do like the brushed black that makes it feel like a stealth pen. A few years ago Lamy also made a limited edition blue version (Bauhaus) but I actually prefer the black. As for price I think it is a very reasonable price for the much more comfortable and elegant design.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaguarish For This Useful Post:

Inkpenlover (May 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

the cracked sections aren't a QC issue either, but due to the recent phenomena of people fetishising regular and complete disassembly to clean the pens, and then inevitably overtightening them when they put them back together.
    I agree. They aren't made to be taken apart to be cleaned. No pen is. Repeatedly do it, and over tighten the section, and they can break.

The pen is miles ahead of the Safari in quality. The later is a gateway/student pen. The 2000 a lifetime pen to be used for a very long time. As proof, look at the lifespan of the model.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 5th, 2021), jeffj (May 8th, 2022), Jon Szanto (May 5th, 2021), welch (May 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks for the solid review! I read that you have five Lamy 2000 pens! Do you have a particular nib size that you prefer to write with? What about ink?
    I have an EF nib and using Kon Peki ink at the moment. I like this combo so far.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to whorne For This Useful Post:

Inkpenlover (May 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I have a Lamy 2000 and like it very much. Virtually all of the 'Cons' in the OP are subjective, and that can applied to just about any personal choice.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

guyy (May 4th, 2021), Inkpenlover (May 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whorne View Post
    Thanks for the solid review! I read that you have five Lamy 2000 pens! Do you have a particular nib size that you prefer to write with? What about ink?
    I have an EF nib and using Kon Peki ink at the moment. I like this combo so far.
    I’ll throw my opinion in:

I’ve had EF through BB. I prefer the B or BB. Favorite ink is Pelikan 4001 BB or R & K Salix.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Inkpenlover (May 4th, 2021), whorne (May 5th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whorne View Post
    I prefer EF / Fine nibs, both are really nice nibs..The pen with EF is in rotation for most of the time, currently inked with Vinta Pastel Blue. My BB Lamy Safari has a sweet spot, I use it as a desk pen.

Metallic Lamy 2000 is also a very nice pen who likes some weight ; it's a solid well made pen pen.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Inkpenlover For This Useful Post:

whorne (May 5th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

The sweet spot on the nib is like the section on a Safari/Al-Star. Both pens demand to be held a certain way or else. You cannot get around it. You will conform to its demands or suffer the consequences. Then again, you could have the nib reground more to your liking.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    As I said over on FPN, I see no basis in the blanket claim of "poor quality control". Nibs aside (ie., the unjustified complaints about a sweet spot from people unaccustomed to hooded nibs that do not provide a specific visual cue about orientation, and the stubbish nature of the grinds), the fit and finish of these pens is exceptional.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this on FPN, but the cracked sections aren't a QC issue either, but due to the recent phenomena of people fetishising regular and complete disassembly to clean the pens, and then inevitably overtightening them when they put them back together.
    Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    I agree with Silverlifter. I don't see any basis for the claim that Lamy has poor QC. These won't write like a blob-tipped pen -- and that's a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    I agree. They aren't made to be taken apart to be cleaned. No pen is. Repeatedly do it, and over tighten the section, and they can break.

The pen is miles ahead of the Safari in quality. The later is a gateway/student pen. The 2000 a lifetime pen to be used for a very long time. As proof, look at the lifespan of the model.
    Thank you for the review.
    I'm with those members who see no basis in the claim for "poor quality control". In my dealings with Lamy as a company I have never had any quality control issues.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 5th, 2021)

Thanks

I know who have suffered because of Lamy Quality Control.... I have seen huge differences in their nibs :-

- One of my Lamy 2000 F nib likes like a broad & Broad writes like M

- One of my 2000 had very dry flow, I needed to adjust it's flow . All others were wet out of the box.

- Their are lot of people who won't like the sweet spot.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I think your review is quite balanced.

It is after all *your* review, so it should reflect how you feel about the reviewed pen.

It is true that the design of Lamy 2000 has withstood the test of time. But there is a limit on how much manufacturing variance can be (and should be) tolerated. If you feel that the limit has been reached or approached, then it's right for you, as one of their customers, to call them out.

I'm glad that you took the time to share it here.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

26. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Inkpenlover (May 5th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

All reviews, in the end, are subjective and reflect the opinions of their author. However, there is a difference between personal statements such as "this pen feels too light/heavy in my hand", which means their hand, and statements such as "this pen exhibits poor quality control in manufacturing", which alludes to a wide-spread problem that very seldom is backed up with verifiable data.

So when I read a review, I'm ok with getting a particular user's take on the aspects of the pen, but when they sit back and start throwing out generalist brickbats or bon mots, I start to look away. This review, like most any others, can't claim a big enough data sampling to bear witness to some of the negatives on the pen. More likely is that they have heard a number of whiny complaints in online forums and decided that a pen - manufactured, admired, and used by hundreds of thousands (at least) for around 60 years - has issues worth noting that should give caution. Um, nope.

A good review can offer BOTH types of insights, both personal and data-driven, subjective and objective. One can even lean to the former and simply offer caveats regarding their observations. Broad statements in one direction or another that can't be adequately backed up (or worse, are erroneous to some extent) are red flags in my reading.

This pen. Oh, yes, even with many, many pens I had never purchased one. Two years ago or so there was a numbskull-level sale (you'd be a fool to pass up) and I got one with a basic M nib. I do use it from time to time, often for trips, as I wouldn't die if I lost the pen. And my subjective take is that it works as advertised, does everything it should, and raises a level of excitement and enjoyment of use in me that is equal to any one of the screwdrivers in my tool chest. It is effective and it is boring, and I have no love for it but use it when appropriate. My review of this pen would likely be a short paragraph, at most.

Reviews: everyone reads them, and writes them, differently.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; May 5th, 2021 at 12:25 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dneal (May 12th, 2021), Empty_of_Clouds (May 5th, 2021), Inkpenlover (May 5th, 2021), penwash (May 5th, 2021), silverlifter (May 5th, 2021), whorne (May 6th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    ...Oh, and I forgot to mention this on FPN, but the cracked sections aren't a QC issue either, but due to the recent phenomena of people fetishising regular and complete disassembly to clean the pens, and then inevitably overtightening them when they put them back together.
    I don't disassemble the nib unit, but I do remove it from the barrel to clean the pen. Is there another way to clean it? Or do you mean don't bother cleaning every time / just refill it with the same ink?

I tend to flush with water because I fill with different inks. If it's truly harmful for the pen, I'd be willing to avoid that and stick with an ink (likely Pilot Blue-Black) for a while. What is the recommended practice?
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks

I only flush if I am changing inks. And then almost always just use the piston to flush water through. A couple of times I have removed the section, to change the nib or grease the piston, and then I am careful to not overtighten the section when screwing it back on: snug it tight just enough so that the join nearly disappears. And never apply silicon grease to the threads.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (May 15th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

You really don't need to flush/clean a pen with every fill. Really. The act of filling the pen flushes the pen if you cycle the filler two or three times. Disassembly and cleaning every nook and cranny is a waste of time, and in some cases damages the pen. Taking the Lamy 2000 apart risks losing the pressure/clutch ring, and since most people over tighten the section when they put it back on, the threads on the barrel can be stressed and crack. Left alone, they are fine.

As noted, the only time that you need to flush a pen is when you are going to change inks or put pens away for a while. A couple caps full of ammonia and a few drops of Dawn dish detergent in a small glass, flushed through the pen will remove the ink, shake the excess out, rinse with water. I've taken pens apart after doing this, and the feed etc are clean.

I have often had pens handed to me for cleaning because the owner used cartridges only, and the pen was clogged. I clean it, and when I hand it back I tell them to use a converter and bottled ink, saying that if they do they won't need to have me clean it again. I check back some time later and ask how the pen is writing, and invariably they tell me that they haven't had a problem since they switched to a converter.

As someone who has repaired pens for 30 years, and used fountain pens for longer than that, I can tell you that constant cleaning, especially trying to get the pen squeaky clean, is a waste of time if you are using bottled ink.

Edit to add - as a pen mechanic and Lamy 2000 owner for a couple of decades, I consider the 2000 to be a very well designed, very well made, and very reliable pen with very good nibs.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 15th, 2021), Chrissy (May 15th, 2021), guyy (May 15th, 2021), Jon Szanto (May 15th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (May 15th, 2021), whorne (May 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    This pen. Oh, yes, even with many, many pens I had never purchased one. Two years ago or so there was a numbskull-level sale (you'd be a fool to pass up) and I got one with a basic M nib. I do use it from time to time, often for trips, as I wouldn't die if I lost the pen. And my subjective take is that it works as advertised, does everything it should, and raises a level of excitement and enjoyment of use in me that is equal to any one of the screwdrivers in my tool chest. It is effective and it is boring, and I have no love for it but use it when appropriate. My review of this pen would likely be a short paragraph, at most.
    Well, sure, Jon, you got an M. My M came like that, too: at a bargain price but boring. I gave it an italic grind so that it would hold my interest.

Like many German pens, the Lamy 2000 is most interesting as a broad or double broad. You'll get some line variation, not as much as you would with a vintage MB or Pelikan, but still more than the average blob-tipped nib. I suspect a good portion of complaints about the L2K come from people who want everything to write like a dry Japanese extra-fine. It won't be that, nor does it need to be.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

[QUOTE=guyy;325429]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Well, sure, Jon, you got an M. My M came like that, too: at a bargain price but boring. I gave it an italic grind so that it would hold my interest.
    Well, to be clear... I own a lot of basic M pens, as well as more than a fair share of italics and stubs. It wasn't so much the business end of the thing as the overall ethos of the pen that just doesn't get my pulse racing. While it is an exemplar of Bauhaus design, I also find that it puts in me the same sense of ur-meh that Brutalist architecture does: perfectly functional but ultimately not pleasing to my eye. And I completely get that it floats many people's boats.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin