Thread: Can a nib pushed in too far ?

Thanks

Default Can a nib pushed in too far ?

Is it possible for a nib to be installed too far in, and will this change the way the nib writes? When I bought my Pilot Custom 74, fine nib, the color I wanted was only available in a medium and the seller took a fine nib from another pen and switched them for me. In a lot of reviews on the 74, I see words like “soft” and “bouncy”.....mine is anything but. It’s very rigid. I don’t find it enjoyable to write with at all, and am surprised by so many great reviews on it.

I’m a little nervous about removing and reinstalling the nib, afraid I’ll break something, but was wondering if that would make any difference anyway?

Thanks

Default Re: Can a nib pushed in too far ?

Quite possibly this single data point will be of little help.

I have a 912 with a SF nib. The nib is the larger #10 size, so my comments may not be helpful.

The date stamp on my nib (610) sits immediately above the housing collar.

I don't know if the date stamp is always made in the same place, or if it differs between models/nibs/date. But my pen works well.

I saw a video of someone swapping a Pilot nib and it looks like a pretty easy friction fit. Just grab the nib and feed between your thumb and finger and pull.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

yes, but that might not be the problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

The information in the OP is a bit scattered, as rather than just discussing the nib placement it talks about nib qualities, reviews, etc.

People can only diagnose issues with the best possible data/information given. Here are some thoughts, in no particular order but that are worth considering and responding to by the OP for further discussion:

• First off, a simple photo or two would tell us if the nib was in farther than normal. I would say that for *most* modern pens it is rarely an issue because the feeds hit the back of the section and the nibs are often shaped to fit onto the feed a particular way. This issue is much more likely with a vintage nib and feed, where the feed can keep going deeper and deeper, out the back of the section, and the nib can be pushed in way too far.
    • As to the feel of the nib: are you conflating/confusing information on plain Fine nibs with Soft Fine? (I don't know their nib lineup and whether they offer both versions)
    • When you refer to other people's reactions (reviews), are they speaking of the exact same nib as yours (Fine) or are they reviewing a different, softer/flexier version? (This happens with Platinum, which has both F and SF models (and in M, too)).
    • It should not be a big issue to swap most modern nibs, but care is required. Was the pen purchased from a retailer, or just another user who said they had a different nib?

I'm certain people can help with your nib issue, but they have to have a clear understanding of the problem before offering a solution.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

My Custom 74 has a Music nib in it and it seems like the nib is installed correctly. It is the pen in the middle. It is flanked by a Namiki Impressions on the left and a Custom 742 on the right.

IMG_20170703_124235.jpg
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    My Custom 74 has a Music nib in it and it seems like the nib is installed correctly. It is the pen in the middle. It is flanked by a Namiki Impressions on the left and a Custom 742 on the right.
    Just so that it isn't an optical illusion or photo perspective: is the 742 a larger nib (the width at the wings looks wider) or is it the exact same size nib as the other two. If larger, that would make sense that it protrudes further (and can't go in any further).
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Just so that it isn't an optical illusion or photo perspective: is the 742 a larger nib (the width at the wings looks wider) or is it the exact same size nib as the other two. If larger, that would make sense that it protrudes further (and can't go in any further).
    No optical illusion, the 742 is ever so slightly larger than the 74.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Aha. So, not apples and oranges, more like Fuji apples and a Golden Delicious.

BTW, maybe not for this thread, but I'd love to see a full shot of the Impressions - I don't know that pen, is it tortoise-shell-type? Looks lovely so far.

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (May 7th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

I have a Pilot Custom 74 and the nib has been out a couple of times. It's a simple friction fit nib and feed but shouldn't be overdone as it might get too loose for the section or make tiny cracks in the end of the section.
    As far as I remember I thought my feed has a stop position where the nib is supposed to line up with and isn't random therefore pushing the nib in further should be quite noticeable. Maybe I'm thinking of a different pen?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Aha. So, not apples and oranges, more like Fuji apples and a Golden Delicious.

BTW, maybe not for this thread, but I'd love to see a full shot of the Impressions - I don't know that pen, is it tortoise-shell-type? Looks lovely so far.
    I was going to point you to my blog but it looks like I have not reviewed the Impressions. It is now on my list of review pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    As far as I remember I thought my feed has a stop position where the nib is supposed to line up with and isn't random therefore pushing the nib in further should be quite noticeable. Maybe I'm thinking of a different pen?
    Yeah, that is what I was alluding to. I don't know these Pilot pens but the Platinum pens (at least the 3776) models are made that way.

I was going to point you to my blog but it looks like I have not reviewed the Impressions. It is now on my list of review pens.
    Well, that would be interesting. I took a quick search and now have seen the 3 celluloid/acrylic? models, of which yours is one. Very lovely pens, but I also now know they are from the 90s and likely unobtainium. Just as well.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Yeah, that is what I was alluding to. I don't know these Pilot pens but the Platinum pens (at least the 3776) models are made that way.

Well, that would be interesting. I took a quick search and now have seen the 3 celluloid/acrylic? models, of which yours is one. Very lovely pens, but I also now know they are from the 90s and likely unobtainium. Just as well.
    So you did not see the other two colors? There's five. And some 845 flat top-styled models also.

Thanks

So you did not see the other two colors? There's five. And some 845 flat top-styled models also.
    I skimmed the surface, not a deep dive. I came upon one display of 3 of the colors and somehow assumed that was the range. I really don't need to know about more pens I like that I'll likely not find!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

The information in the OP is a bit scattered, as rather than just discussing the nib placement it talks about nib qualities, reviews, etc.

People can only diagnose issues with the best possible data/information given. Here are some thoughts, in no particular order but that are worth considering and responding to by the OP for further discussion:

• First off, a simple photo or two would tell us if the nib was in farther than normal. I would say that for *most* modern pens it is rarely an issue because the feeds hit the back of the section and the nibs are often shaped to fit onto the feed a particular way. This issue is much more likely with a vintage nib and feed, where the feed can keep going deeper and deeper, out the back of the section, and the nib can be pushed in way too far.
    • As to the feel of the nib: are you conflating/confusing information on plain Fine nibs with Soft Fine? (I don't know their nib lineup and whether they offer both versions)
    • When you refer to other people's reactions (reviews), are they speaking of the exact same nib as yours (Fine) or are they reviewing a different, softer/flexier version? (This happens with Platinum, which has both F and SF models (and in M, too)).
    • It should not be a big issue to swap most modern nibs, but care is required. Was the pen purchased from a retailer, or just another user who said they had a different nib?

I'm certain people can help with your nib issue, but they have to have a clear understanding of the problem before offering a solution.
    Ugh. What is it with this site? I spend several minutes typing a reply, and when I hit send, I find I’m logged off and lose it all. So annoying.

My pen is a basic fine nib, I don’t think the custom 74 comes with a soft fine. The reviews I’ve looked at are all for the same pen, same nib. The pen writes ok. A little dry on upstrokes if I don’t use a more highly lubricated ink. I just find this pen to be boring. The way the nib might be installed would effect the way a pen writes, which is why I mention the way it performs. I see glowing reviews - people saying “soft” and “bouncy” nib, as I mentioned above, yet my nib is very, very rigid. I’m starting to understand that not all pens, even the same brand, same size nibs, write the same..but the way a nib feels when writing should be the same in a certain brand, shouldn’t it? It’s the stiff feeling of the nib on mine that made me think perhaps it was installed wrong....but probably you are right, the nibs are made to fit in a certain way, that it can’t be pushed in too far or that it would be too loose if not in far enough.

I’m just disappointed in this pen. There is nothing about it that makes me want to pick it up and use it. As I mentioned, it writes ok, but the feel of it is just uninspiring. Sharp, stiff, nail-like. I was hoping reinstalling the nib would improve the way it feels and writes.
    Last edited by Igraine; May 8th, 2021 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks

Nothing wrong with not liking a pen. You just have to find what works with your hand. Does your pen at least look the same as mine, as far as the depth of the nib in the section? If it does, then more than likely it's installed correctly. I would seek someone that can evaluate the pen in person. There is only so much that can be done through reading forums and watching YouTube videos. At some pount you have to jump in and learn how to adjust a nib or pay to have it done professionally. I wanted to learn how to do it myself so I started with cheap Chinese pens. When I became confident in my abilities I moved on to pricier pens. I do have a few pens in my collection that I don't mess with because it would be prohibitively expensive to replace if I really messed up but for the majority of my collection I adjust, smooth and sometimes grind my own nibs.

Oh and most modern gold nibs from Pilot are not bouncy unless they have to soft designation or are designed for flex.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; May 8th, 2021 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
    Ugh. What is it with this site? I spend several minutes typing a reply, and when I hit send, I find I’m logged off and lose it all. So annoying.
    Always check the Remember Me box before actually logging in.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Nothing wrong with not liking a pen. You just have to find what works with your hand. Does your pen at least look the same as mine, as far as the depth of the nib in the section? If it does, then more than likely it's installed correctly. I would seek someone that can evaluate the pen in person. There is only so much that can be done through reading forums and watching YouTube videos. At some pount you have to jump in and learn how to adjust a nib or pay to have it done professionally. I wanted to learn how to do it myself so I started with cheap Chinese pens. When I became confident in my abilities I moved on to pricier pens. I do have a few pens in my collection that I don't mess with because it would be prohibitively expensive to replace if I really messed up but for the majority of my collection I adjust, smooth and sometimes grind my own nibs.

Oh and most modern gold nibs from Pilot are not bouncy unless they have to soft designation or are designed for flex.
    I compared my pen to your photos and mine looks to be pushed in just a touch more. Not enough to really matter, I don’t think. Yes, I have to be brave and just take the nib out and put it back in. I’m not sure why some people describe the Custom 74, with the standard fine nib, as soft. I do find the feel of most gold nib pens to be different than steel, not sure exactly what it is that makes them feel different - but the only pen I have where I actually feel some softness is a Pelikan M200,and that’s a steel nib.

Thanks for your advice. Maybe I just need to stop watching YouTube videos in general.