Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 Writer's Edition--- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Thanks

Default Re: 2021 Writer's Edition--- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Wow I am surprised by the amount of negative comments about the Doyle writer's edition. I love mine and feel its a solid edition to the MB writer edition lineup. While I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago I stopped in both of the Montblanc boutiques on the strip because my son was looking for an Egyptomania ballpoint (which he did end up getting). I noted that both stores were sold out of all variations of the Doyle WE. The sales staff told me that they didn't get very many of them and they sold out immediately with all going to repeat customers who were on a waiting list. I am a big fan of the Writer's Editions and also the Great Characters editions. I will not purchase another standard production Montblanc pen as I find the mono-color all resin pens to be very boring and uninspiring. My goal is to collect every WE release since they started back in 1992 with the Hemingway. So far in the WE line-up I have the Mark Twain, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, and the Doyle. In the GC line-up I have the John F Kennedy, James Dean, Walt Disney and Greta Garbo (technically not really a GC edition). I tend avoid the homage/composer editions as they have too much resin and not enough uniqueness...

Last edited by richmadeknives; September 11th, 2021 at 12:12 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to richmadeknives For This Useful Post:

Nexus (September 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    The 'spy glass' pocket clip is a big turn off for me. It's like something you would find on a 9 or 10 year old's Sherlock Holmes toy pen.
    One could argue that Montblanc pens are toys.

They just carry a different level of price tag
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richmadeknives View Post
    Wow I am surprised by the amount of negative comments about the Doyle writer's edition. I love mine and feel its a solid edition to the MB writer edition lineup. ...
    Well, that's why I (and I'm sure others as well) appreciate your post, which provides a balancing view on the pen.

I for one am quite liking this particular WE. So it's nice to see another photo of it. Do a separate review if you so inclined.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Here is a photo of the current status of my Montblanc collection. As you can see I definitely prefer the limited / special editions. This is the result of only having starting collecting about 3 months ago. I am anticipating doubling the size of the collection over the next year or so... No safe queens here, all of my pens are inked and get used in rotation on a regular basis for taking notes during my many daily meetings. In case your interested, the Twain writes the best/wettest/widest. The JFK is the crispest writing, most consistent, and most comfortable. The Disney is the least comfortable to hold and write with. The Et Noir Serpent is an amazing writer with a great flexible nib and an amazing heavy feel because its an all metal body, including the cap (only the marble version is all-metal). The Doyle has a broad nib with a little bit of an angle cut so it lays down more of a square line; the cut is suited to a righty (which I am) but you have to pay attention to how you are holding it and your wrist angle to keep it writing smoothly or it may skip a little ...

From left to right are:

1. Mark Twain writers edition, fountain pen, broad nib.
    2. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry writers edition, fountain pen, medium nib.
    3. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle writers edition, fountain pen, broad nib.
    4. John F. Kennedy great characters, fountain pen, medium nib.
    5. James Dean great characters, fountain pen, medium nib.
    6. Walt Disney great characters, fountain pen, medium nib.
    7. Greta Garbo, ballpoint.
    8. Johannes Brahms Conductors Donation Rollerball Pen.
    9. Heritage Rouge Et Noir Serpent Marble Special Edition, fountain pen, medium nib.
    10. Meisterstuck 163R, Rollerball

Last edited by richmadeknives; September 11th, 2021 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks

richmadeknives, don't forget to take a quick look at PW Akkerman's collection of new unused Montblanc's for sale. It will at least give you an idea of what some of these Writer's & Great Characters Editions look like.

https://akkermandenhaag.com/collecti...ource=omnisend
    Last edited by Nexus; September 11th, 2021 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Don't forget to take a quick look at PW Akkerman's collection of new unused Montblanc's for sale. It will at least give you an idea of what some of these Writer's & Great Characters Editions look like.

https://akkermandenhaag.com/collecti...ource=omnisend
    I have checked those out and been quite tempted, I wish it were a USA seller. A great reference for all the WE editions is this page but it hasn't been updated to the most recent few releases yet.

https://penstylo.blogspot.com/p/the-...ollection.html

Thanks

Near a decade ago.
    Well my wife told me my B&M was having a sale, did I want a pen?
    The three pens I looked at were 1/3 off.
    The Pelikan pen of it's time, didn't quite do it. One of the Aurora Verdie's was fancy enough (there are many Verdies) ....it did have a semi-flex nib so the pen was like all of them a decade old. (near a decade ago) Will admit my wife's eyes were a bit tight with the price of that Verdie pen. (@ E-750 near the price of that Pelikan) But the nib had that well known toothyness of Aurora and for that kind of money it's toothy was over pencil, towards scratchy. (The Geha 725 semi-flex taken along as test pen....ate that Aurora for smoothness and balance.)

The Woolf had a new price E-750, sale price E 450....had I not used it, it sells for new price and more now...a decade later. Wasn't all that limited with 16,000 made. Could be why it took so long to get back to new price.
    But the MB Virginia Woolf had drawn my eyes from 10 yards away. And was the cheapest.

I hadn't read the small print......our money..........so didn't buy a pen, a bottle of ink nor pack of paper for some 9 months.

Actually what I like most about my Virginia Woolf is the my eyes only nib bling.
    Pictures with permission of pentime.

The clip is a mix between polished and matt.

It's 'chased to the max'. Even if it's not chased, the impression is there.
    Not a pen to post.
    It had in the shop a M that wrote to the B I wanted on cheap paper. At home with good paper the thing only wrote to a M, not the Fat M or B that MB was reputed to write. So I had the nib changed to a B....... It's a Fat B =BB.
    I'd guesstimate it to regular flex...in it's more than semi-nail.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; October 14th, 2021 at 05:31 AM.