Thread: Platinum soft medium nib

Thanks

Default Platinum soft medium nib

Hi all! I'm looking for a Platinum 3776 with a soft medium nib, in Bourgogne if possible. Can't seem to find one at my usual haunts...any suggestions?

Thanks

Default Re: Platinum soft medium nib

Unless things have changed, the SM is only to be found in limited/special editions, and even then not always. Usually pretty limited quantities, too. I believe, owing to popular demand, they did do a limited release of SM Bourgognes a while back, but you'll have to get lucky on the s/h market for one. Could be a long search.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Thanks for the response. The search is on!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Unless things have changed, the SM is only to be found in limited/special editions, and even then not always. Usually pretty limited quantities, too. I believe, owing to popular demand, they did do a limited release of SM Bourgognes a while back, but you'll have to get lucky on the s/h market for one. Could be a long search.
    I looked for one when I bought my second medium, but didn’t see any in the price range I was looking for. Is the hard medium the standard? I love my Platinum pens, use them the most. If you have both the hard M and the soft M, do you think there is a noticeable difference?

I like your bird photo...is that a Senegal on the left? I have just one bird now, a blue front Amazon I’ve had since 1993, he was 7 years old when I got him, and very dysfunctional. He intensely hates everyone but me, including other birds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
    Is the hard medium the standard?
    They don't really do a hard medium, which to me suggests something more manifold-esque. It's just their standard, little bit of give, medium.

If you have both the hard M and the soft M, do you think there is a noticeable difference?
    Well, there is a little difference, but honestly I don't personally think it's worth the cost and effort to seek out. I might just be have been unlucky with mine, I don't know. I have two SFs and one is noticeably softer than the other, so they do likely vary.

I like your bird photo...is that a Senegal on the left? I have just one bird now, a blue front Amazon I’ve had since 1993, he was 7 years old when I got him, and very dysfunctional. He intensely hates everyone but me, including other birds.
    Yes, PJ the Senegal, who was two when I got her, and she is also... well, let's be generous and say "highly strung".
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    They don't really do a hard medium, which to me suggests something more manifold-esque. It's just their standard, little bit of give, medium.

If you have both the hard M and the soft M, do you think there is a noticeable difference?
    Well, there is a little difference, but honestly I don't personally think it's worth the cost and effort to seek out. I might just be have been unlucky with mine, I don't know. I have two SFs and one is noticeably softer than the other, so they do likely vary.

Yes, PJ the Senegal, who was two when I got her, and she is also... well, let's be generous and say "highly strung".
    Thanks. I don’t think I’ll make any effort to find one, I’m happy enough with the Platinum pens I have now.

Are your birds talkers? Mine is not. It would be great to have a talking parrot. I knew Max wasn’t a talker when I took him (he belonged to my brothers roommate, and someone else before that) but decided at that time to love him no matter what he was like and it’s been good. Especially when I lived in apartments...he’s very quiet for an Amazon. I’ve thought about getting another one but...well,you know. Birds are a lot of work.

Thanks

I've found that the Nakaya soft fine nibs with plating (like rhodium etc) tend to be less "flexy" and more rigid. I have not had many nakayas however so Whichwatch may be a better source.
    -NK

u/sworist