Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 109

Thread: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

  1. #81
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    3,888
    Thanks
    989
    Thanked 4,429 Times in 1,907 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    It's why they're called mystery inks!

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    977
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked 375 Times in 221 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Just saw this thread at the other place. New guess for MI34 is Fritz Schimpf Sundowner.

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    977
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked 375 Times in 221 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    And my guess for MI35 is Herbin Vert de Gris. Final answer.

  4. #84
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,811
    Thanks
    3,875
    Thanked 6,769 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    And my guess for MI35 is Herbin Vert de Gris. Final answer.
    I would be interested to learn if you used the same pen and filled with MI#34 first? If you did I fear that maybe you had a tiny smidgen of that left in your pen somewhere when you then inked up MI#35 and it slightly turned the blue into green?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    977
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked 375 Times in 221 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    And my guess for MI35 is Herbin Vert de Gris. Final answer.
    I would be interested to learn if you used the same pen and filled with MI#34 first? If you did I fear that maybe you had a tiny smidgen of that left in your pen somewhere when you then inked up MI#35 and it slightly turned the blue into green?
    Excellent question, but I used separate pens for my testing. MI35 went into a clean Lamy Studio, whereas MI34 went into a Pelikan M215.

    Even the ink clinging to the side of the sample vial looks teal to me. I am sure I haven't contaminated my sample. Maybe I'll try a chroma test (never successfully achieved before) and see if I get a similar result to yours.

    Hmm...don't suppose ol' junglejim is having some fun at our expense, do you?

  6. #86
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,811
    Thanks
    3,875
    Thanked 6,769 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Even the ink clinging to the side of the sample vial looks teal to me. I am sure I haven't contaminated my sample. Maybe I'll try a chroma test (never successfully achieved before) and see if I get a similar result to yours.

    Hmm...don't suppose ol' junglejim is having some fun at our expense, do you?
    Wouldn't that be fun? @junglejim have you sent us different samples? LOL
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  7. #87
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    2,940
    Thanks
    3,965
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    I have a guess for the blue, but zero idea about the orange. Which I love.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!

    My eBooks. Because why not.

  8. #88
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,811
    Thanks
    3,875
    Thanked 6,769 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    My vote for MI #35 goes to L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Equinoxe No 6. A long time favourite of mine that always fills my Sheaffer Legacy.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  9. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    Posts
    340
    Thanks
    782
    Thanked 525 Times in 217 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Even the ink clinging to the side of the sample vial looks teal to me. I am sure I haven't contaminated my sample. Maybe I'll try a chroma test (never successfully achieved before) and see if I get a similar result to yours.

    Hmm...don't suppose ol' junglejim is having some fun at our expense, do you?
    Wouldn't that be fun? @junglejim have you sent us different samples? LOL
    One only has to look at Chrissy's excellent review of Cult Pens Deep Dark Matthew to see how the ink color changes, depending on the paper used.

    linky: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...rk-Matthew-New

    BTW, That is why each batch of Mystery Ink samples I send out are different colors. So I don't get confused. [ Although I am tempted to send out a batch of just all black samples some day, LOL!! ]

    **Full disclosure: All Mystery Ink samples are purchased by the bottle from one of the many ink vendors on the internet. I have purchased and tested those samples in the past and thought the ink might be interesting to me. I would NEVER use one of my custom-mixed inks for the MI series. It wouldn't be fair, and those custom mixed inks are made only for certain dear pen-friends.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (June 21st, 2021)

  11. #90
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    3,888
    Thanks
    989
    Thanked 4,429 Times in 1,907 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    ... ink color changes, depending on the paper used....
    So true! I enjoy using sepia and brown inks on vintage postcards, and sometimes the color is stable, while other times those inks turn dark grey. It doesn't surprise me anymore.

  12. #91
    Senior Member DrPenfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Nevada and beyond!
    Posts
    294
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 118 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Oh how I have missed this thread! "been away too long. . . "

    I will enjoy seeing the reveal. I have my guesses.

  13. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    Posts
    340
    Thanks
    782
    Thanked 525 Times in 217 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    April showers bring May flowers. Here on the Central Coast of California that means California Poppies and Blue lupine.




    Mystery Ink #34 is from a company that unfortunately disappeared due to the Covid-19 pandemic. I decided to share my last full bottle of Blackstone Wild Orange with our participants here at fpg. If you still have the sample vial, open it up and sniff. You will be greeted with a very light scent of citrus. Australian Wild Orange isn't actually a citrus fruit, but belongs to the caper family (Capparis mitchelii).

    linky: https://www.lemurink.com/collections...nk-30ml-bottle


    Mystery ink #35 is also from down-under ( Tasmania ). A lovely dark blueish-green, it is Van Dieman's Blackened Seas.

    linky: https://vanness1938.com/collections/...blackened-seas

    I hope you enjoyed this session of the Mystery Ink series. The next set of bottled inks have been chosen and put aside for late August. Until then, stay Safe and Healthy!

    All the Best.
    "It's funny; in this era of email and voice mail and all those things that I did not even grow up with, a plain old paper letter takes on amazing intimacy." Elizabeth Kostova

  14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

    BayesianPrior (June 24th, 2021), Chrissy (June 24th, 2021), CrayonAngelss (June 24th, 2021), DrPenfection (July 11th, 2021), FredRydr (June 24th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (June 24th, 2021), sospiro (June 24th, 2021), Yazeh (June 24th, 2021)

  15. #93
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    2,701
    Thanks
    2,145
    Thanked 686 Times in 414 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    THat photo is so breathtaking, jungle Jim.
    Thanks so much for doing this......

  16. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    977
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked 375 Times in 221 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Thank you Jim! We very much appreciate your generosity of time and postage to allow us to sample different and interesting inks.

    It's a shame that Blackstone Wild Orange is no longer available - it seems that all participants thought it was a great ink and would happily have picked up a bottle.

  17. #95
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,235
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 444 Times in 317 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    What an amazing picture! Did you have it in mind when you chose the inks?

    The Blackstone inks were exceptional - I have very little left of my small collection and wish I could get more

    Great choice, and what a beautiful combination - I very much enjoyed seeing all of these - thank you

  18. #96
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    2,940
    Thanks
    3,965
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Okay, my guess for the blue was wrong. Based on a pen pal's letter, and side-to-side testing, I thought it was Montblanc Around the World in 80 Days.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!

    My eBooks. Because why not.

  19. #97
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,811
    Thanks
    3,875
    Thanked 6,769 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    April showers bring May flowers. Here on the Central Coast of California that means California Poppies and Blue lupine.

    Mystery Ink #34 is from a company that unfortunately disappeared due to the Covid-19 pandemic. I decided to share my last full bottle of Blackstone Wild Orange with our participants here at fpg. If you still have the sample vial, open it up and sniff. You will be greeted with a very light scent of citrus. Australian Wild Orange isn't actually a citrus fruit, but belongs to the caper family (Capparis mitchelii).


    Mystery ink #35 is also from down-under ( Tasmania ). A lovely dark blueish-green, it is Van Dieman's Blackened Seas.

    I hope you enjoyed this session of the Mystery Ink series. The next set of bottled inks have been chosen and put aside for late August. Until then, stay Safe and Healthy!

    All the Best.
    Thank you so much junglejim for sending these lovely ink samples. I really enjoyed writing with both of them and it's great to add names to them. Stay safe and all the best to you too.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  20. #98
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    3,888
    Thanks
    989
    Thanked 4,429 Times in 1,907 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Thank you, junglejim!

    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    ...Mystery Ink #34 is from a company that unfortunately disappeared due to the Covid-19 pandemic....
    Well, Chrissy, which of your reviewed inks matches best to Wild Orange?

  21. #99
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,811
    Thanks
    3,875
    Thanked 6,769 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Thank you, junglejim!

    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    ...Mystery Ink #34 is from a company that unfortunately disappeared due to the Covid-19 pandemic....
    Well, Chrissy, which of your reviewed inks matches best to Wild Orange?
    That's a tough one. Maybe Diamine Gerbera or Blood Orange?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  22. #100
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    2,940
    Thanks
    3,965
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Mystery Ink #34 and #35

    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    THat photo is so breathtaking, jungle Jim.
    Thanks so much for doing this......
    Add my thanks and appreciation! Beautiful photo.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!

    My eBooks. Because why not.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •