Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your pen(s) for all seasons?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: Your pen(s) for all seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I don't plan ahead like that. Instead, I pick up a 3-pen Pelikan case and reach for three pens already inked in the rack on my desk (at the moment, see below). The most reliable and easy-to-use fountain pens are the modern ones. A Pelikan M400/M200 B cursive italic almost always makes it into the case. I will usually add the unbreakable reliable Conid and one vintage flex for correspondence that I might write, which in this case would be the big Wahl-Eversharp woodgrain HR. And don't forget a ~50-year-old Sheaffer ballpoint!

Attachment 60735
    Fred if I keep my pens the way you do, most of them will not write. What's your magic?

Thanks

One of these guys:

I’ll pick an Al-Star most of the time. I have a bunch of them, my favorite being the dark purple with the 1.5mm calligraphy nib.

I use a 2000 when i know i’ll be writing an appreciable amount. I usually go for a B, but the one in the picture is an italicized M.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Pens leaving the house? I haven't even left the house since...you know....

(I had a few ready to go in the Beforetimes. Like a couple of Heros and Sheaffer school pens.)
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Wile E Coyote (May 13th, 2021), Yazeh (May 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Since Pearl Harbor?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Since Pearl Harbor?
    Could be.

Thanks

I am usually rushed, harassed, and distracted repeatedly at work, so pricey pens or even pens with caps just aren’t practical. Mostly at work I use gel pens, but if I use a fountain pen, it’s mostly my Pilot Decimo, which I don’t really love, so if anything were to happen to it, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. It’s too bad, though, because I’d like to have a convenient, easy to use, easy to replace fountain pen for work, and also one that I’d find pleasurable to use.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Igraine For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 13th, 2021)

Thanks

I like this forum a lot, but I am way outclassed here. At the moment I have one fountain pen in working order (a mid-twentieth-century English Duofold), a couple in need of service, and a 1944 Parker 51 in my near future. Needless to say the Duofold is my daily carry at work, but much of the time I just take a Zebra or Jotter Plus ballpoint when I'm out and about. I think, though, once it arrives and gets reconditioned, the 51 will become my pen for all seasons, as the 51 I had in high school and college was.
    “We go to the garrick now and become warbs.”--James Thurber

11. The Following User Says Thank You to R.A. Stewart For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R.A. Stewart View Post
    I like this forum a lot...
    ...once it arrives and gets reconditioned, the 51 will become my pen for all seasons, as the 51 I had in high school and college was.
    So do we, usually.

51s are getting a lot of attention, lately. I only have one 51 at the moment, and I think I better fill it and add it to the rack.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    I don't mean this in a bad way, but why? Do you expect you'll need a pen during a jog?
    I often think of something and want to jot it down. I also carry paper.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 21st, 2021), guyy (May 20th, 2021), Yazeh (May 13th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    I don't mean this in a bad way, but why? Do you expect you'll need a pen during a jog?
    Same here, except pencil.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

I find that if I'm dressed casually and just going out to the grocery store or post office or someplace mundane like that, I'll usually take one of my less expensive pens, like an Esterbrook J or a Pilot Prera. If I'm dressed more nicely, I'll usually carry something a little fancier, like a Sailor 1911 or a modern Pelikan, or one of my vintage pens. I hate the thought of losing any of them, but I think it would be stupid to go out wearing a coat and tie and carrying a Jinhao or a Metropolitan. I say I carry "a" pen, but actually I usually carry two or three, and sometime four. I pick them as accessories, like I'd pick my socks or a tie. The ones I usually leave at home are generally fussy vintage pens that I have to baby and fool with. For formal affairs, a black pen, of course.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (May 20th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (May 19th, 2021), Yazeh (May 19th, 2021)

Thanks

the Caran D,ache is for quick note taking so generally is attached to a notebook or inside my journal. The Kaweco Sport is a fine nib and it is the pen for every day and moment (unless the ballpoint is absolutely needed). The Starwalker is a fineliner for in the office, the model seems to suit being a fineliner and it also travels on planes without fuss and/or inkplosions.

20210519_093655.jpg

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HerrFlik For This Useful Post:

whorne (May 22nd, 2021), Yazeh (May 19th, 2021)

Thanks

Kaweco Brass Sport, with a medium nib, and inked with Noodlers HOD. Compact, sturdy, and reliable.
    Malcolm

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Malcolm For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 19th, 2021)

Thanks

I always carry two pens: a pocket pen and a “court” pen. The pocket pen is just that; it must be inked with a permanent, well-behaved black ink and it must be durable enough to survive contact with the other objects in my pockets. In my case it’s a Kaweco Brass Sport, EF. Originally inked with X-Feather, but that smeared too much on USPS mailing labels. I then switched to Heart of Darkness, but that dried out if I didn’t use it regularly. So now I make due with Namiki Black, which isn’t permanent but it’s close enough.

My “court” pen, as the name implies, is a pen I carry to court. It needs to be fine enough for me to be able to write notes in margins but it must also have a soft enough nib to add a little flair to my signature, since those are the two things I use a pen for most when away from my desk.

This has been the hardest role to fill, and I’ve been through many. First was a Pilot 912 with an FA nib—too wet and not fine enough. Then a Sailor KoP with a M nib—again, too wet (though this could be overcome by reverse writing) and ink loved to condense on the section. Then a Pilot Justus in F—again with the condensation. Then an old Pelikan 400nn in EF—this one was a strong contender, but the clip loved getting caught on my seatbelt and the body loved unscrewing itself from the cap while in my breast pocket.

The Pelikan still gets occasional use, but I’ve pretty much switched back to the Justus. Ink is Monteverde Capri Blue, since it makes my notes stand out so well from the page and it shades beautifully when the nib is flexed for signatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kulprit For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 21st, 2021), carlos.q (May 21st, 2021), Yazeh (May 20th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
    I always carry two pens: a pocket pen and a “court” pen. The pocket pen is just that; it must be inked with a permanent, well-behaved black ink and it must be durable enough to survive contact with the other objects in my pockets. In my case it’s a Kaweco Brass Sport, EF. Originally inked with X-Feather, but that smeared too much on USPS mailing labels. I then switched to Heart of Darkness, but that dried out if I didn’t use it regularly. So now I make due with Namiki Black, which isn’t permanent but it’s close enough.

My “court” pen, as the name implies, is a pen I carry to court. It needs to be fine enough for me to be able to write notes in margins but it must also have a soft enough nib to add a little flair to my signature, since those are the two things I use a pen for most when away from my desk.

This has been the hardest role to fill, and I’ve been through many. First was a Pilot 912 with an FA nib—too wet and not fine enough. Then a Sailor KoP with a M nib—again, too wet (though this could be overcome by reverse writing) and ink loved to condense on the section. Then a Pilot Justus in F—again with the condensation. Then an old Pelikan 400nn in EF—this one was a strong contender, but the clip loved getting caught on my seatbelt and the body loved unscrewing itself from the cap while in my breast pocket.

The Pelikan still gets occasional use, but I’ve pretty much switched back to the Justus. Ink is Monteverde Capri Blue, since it makes my notes stand out so well from the page and it shades beautifully when the nib is flexed for signatures.

If it weren't for the soft nib requirement, something like a 51 might work. Perhaps a pen with a stub nib would add the necessary flair, maybe a Parker 75 with a #69 Fine Stub. There's also the #97 Italic Fine, though it may be trickier for notes. Or, sticking with the flex pens, maybe the Montblanc 149 Calligraphy if you can find one.

Thanks

[/QUOTE] I often think of something and want to jot it down. I also carry paper.[/QUOTE]

I also carry paper, a Rhodia Dot pad no. 12 notebook, in one of their leather cases.

Pens: Montblanc 145 Chopin with J Herbin Éclat de Saphir, and a MB 146 with Lucky Orange ink. The ink is a tribute to my late dog Lucky.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

whorne (May 22nd, 2021), Yazeh (May 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 2,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post

I also carry paper, a Rhodia Dot pad no. 12 notebook, in one of their leather cases.

Pens: Montblanc 145 Chopin with J Herbin Éclat de Saphir, and a MB 146 with Lucky Orange ink. The ink is a tribute to my late dog Lucky.
    Beautiful tribute, Bob. Thanks for sharing....

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post

If it weren't for the soft nib requirement, something like a 51 might work. Perhaps a pen with a stub nib would add the necessary flair, maybe a Parker 75 with a #69 Fine Stub. There's also the #97 Italic Fine, though it may be trickier for notes. Or, sticking with the flex pens, maybe the Montblanc 149 Calligraphy if you can find one.
    I briefly used an M205 with a custom 0.8mm italic grind, but that was still too broad for cramming notes into margins.

Thanks

At home, where I can truly enjoy my pens, my go-to pen is whatever strikes my fancy. I love them all. Out in the world or at work, my favorite pen to shove in my purse is the disposable Zebra Zensations fountain pen. It's inexpensive, sturdy and reliable. I don't care if I lose one, because at $3 each, I can afford to replace them.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 21st, 2021)

Thanks

I often think of something and want to jot it down. I also carry paper.[/QUOTE]

Pens: Montblanc 145 Chopin with J Herbin Éclat de Saphir, and a MB 146 with Lucky Orange ink. The ink is a tribute to my late dog Lucky.[/QUOTE]

Hey Bob! I agree-thanks for sharing. BTW, I just ordered a copy of the book about Lucky! Looking forward to reading it!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to whorne For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 22nd, 2021)