Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your pen(s) for all seasons?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default Your pen(s) for all seasons?

Hi there,

Being a pen nerd, I'm often distracted by what writing instrument is being used when watching TV. Reporters only use pens or (or their phones). Doctors/nurses/ pharmacist the same.

What is your go to pen(s) when you go out, to the doctors appointment, camping, walking, jogging, shopping etc.

A pen you can count on. You care it being lost but you can easily replace it.

Obviously, a pen is nothing without the ink.

I'm practical: I need fast drying, waterproof, no nonsense ink, so I use a variety of Noodler's fast drying bulletproof inks. (Kung Te-Cheng/ Polar Green for now)

Personally my go to pens are Kaweco sports. I use them as eye droppers, so, I have enough ink. While I prefer wide nibs in general, in this case I use EF and Medium.

They're small. I often carry two, (for variety and as a backup), in a Kaweco pen holder.

B28D8F3F-1173-4490-8397-CAE9AFA1540B.jpeg

So what do you use in different situations?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 11th, 2021), silverlifter (May 11th, 2021), TFarnon (May 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Your pen(s) for all seasons?

I don't plan ahead like that. Instead, I pick up a 3-pen Pelikan case and reach for three pens already inked in the rack on my desk (at the moment, see below). The most reliable and easy-to-use fountain pens are the modern ones. A Pelikan M400/M200 B cursive italic almost always makes it into the case. I will usually add the unbreakable reliable Conid and one vintage flex for correspondence that I might write, which in this case would be the big Wahl-Eversharp woodgrain HR. And don't forget a ~50-year-old Sheaffer ballpoint!

IMG_3899.jpg

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (May 11th, 2021), Jon Szanto (May 11th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (May 13th, 2021), Yazeh (May 11th, 2021)

Thanks

This has been in my front pants pocket every day since I bought it, at the beginning of last year. Inked with R&K Dokumentus Dunkleblau, it has been great for notes on the train, in the store, post office, out in the paddocks. Pretty much bullet-proof.

al-sport.jpg
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 11th, 2021), Yazeh (May 11th, 2021)

Thanks

I have a 2018 Parker Sonnet SE that has been my everyday carry for the last three years. The 18K gold nib is nice, and Parker fixed the issue with the Sonnet drying out too quickly with this model.

It's in a slim Lamy two pen case with the matching ballpoint. I use the pen with cartridges on account that they contain a lot of ink, and can fit a spare in my wallet without too much trouble.

I find Parker Quink (and Platinum's) works very well on most papers. It's not too wet or too dry - and doesn't seem to bleed quite so much. It also means I can use cheaper notebooks as EDC too.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

At the moment it's my SchonDsgn Pocket Six, but at any given time it's just as likely to be any one of a number of Kawecos. I happily carry pretty much anything from vintage to ultra modern in a bag though. It's the one time I carry cartridges as well, just in case - though I can't remember when I last used one.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

This year a Nock 3-pen case (can't remember the model) has been ever in my workbag (a Tom Bihn Maker, for those who may be interested). The three pens are: a Pilot Custom 823 that has been inked with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo since I got it (fine nib), a Lamy 2000 ef currently inked with Diamine Delamere Green, and a Wing Sung 698 filled with Robert Oster Fire Engine Red.

I have other pen carrying options - an FC leather 3-pen case and a Galen leather pen wrap - so this may change as the year progresses... and I really must rotate some pens! Perhaps should go for themes, like an all FC carry, or an all Asian set-up.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My trusty Jinhao, as I call it! Or my TWSBI, Pilot Metropolitan, or teal Lamy Safari. If I'm going out, I just like to take a pen that's more...replaceable than my others.

IMG_4013.JPG

Now that I think of it, I don't even have a carrying case! I should get on that. Maybe then I'd be more inspired to take them out instead of just throwing a dried out "bank logo" pen in my purse.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrayonAngelss For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 11th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (May 13th, 2021), Yazeh (May 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

I should add that my pocket pen has a challenger on the way - the new ensso piuma pocket is due soon, and looks like the sort of stealthy little number that might just sneak in and catch the gaudy Schon unawares when it's busy preening

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

20210512_162105~3_resize_82.jpg

The Pilot PO nib in the Moonman C2 (2nd from right) has been in use pretty much since I got the 912 a few years ago ("pretty much" meaning I don't recall taking the pen/nib out of rotation, and if I did, it was a blip in time, cos it's my favorite nib). The nib's been in the MMC2 for about a year-and-a-half which hasn't been de-inked at all during that time. And no plans to de-ink the pen for the foreseeable future.

The Nakaya Piccolo (far right) is the most recent pen and is intended as "the One." But, seeing as the PO nib is my favorite, I have at least two "the One" pens. And I'm okay with that.

The other two I inked up recently and have been enjoying writing with them very, very much. They might go in and out of rotation, but not the other two.
    Last edited by ethernautrix; May 13th, 2021 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Grammatical clarity

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 13th, 2021), Yazeh (May 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have been using an old Chinese pen simply known as the Rocket since January. I keep a bottle of Diamine Blue-Black at my desk at work.

20210413_103727_HDR-01.jpg
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (May 20th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (May 13th, 2021), Yazeh (May 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Interesting thread that got me thinking. Every pen except one goes in and out of rotation, some more than others. But the one pen, which is the first "good" fountain pen I ever purchased and at the time was appalled that I was spending over $100 for a "pen", that has been in constant rotation is a Lamy 2000 with a stub nib.

I love all my Japanese pens, but the Lamy is tough enough to abuse, holds enough ink, and writes flawlessly. I actually like the cap retainer nubs since it helps me tactically know that I'm holding the pen in the proper orientation (±180°).

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Do you really take a pen with you when you go jogging?

Edit: I'm at a point where my collection consists of only expensive pens, so I don't use them in public at all, to avoid questions or looks. So I don't really take my pens out of the house.
    Last edited by adhoc; May 12th, 2021 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post

Edit: I'm at a point where my collection consists of only expensive pens, so I don't use them in public at all, to avoid questions or looks. So I don't really take my pens out of the house.
    Since non-expensive pens are so cheap. You could buy one and take it jogging. If anyone questions your use of fountain pens, you could use your cheap pen to write them some directions to the nearest cliff with explicit instructions on how to jump off. If they look at you with disdain, I've a good idea how to prevent them from looking again with the use of that cheap pen.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

eachan (May 12th, 2021), Igraine (May 22nd, 2021), Yazeh (May 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Lol. I'm sure you're being deliberate, but the point of course was why would one take a pen for jogging.

While I appreciate your attitude, I prefer to avoid conflict, no scratch that, I prefer to avoid people altogether.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

This is shameful to admit, but before I got a Parker "51" again, I took my GvFC intuition ebony on a long winter's run to a bookstore in the neighboring town to record titles I was interested in. No issue. (Then again, that pen also somehow survived being washed and dried, so comparatively this was nothing.)
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

I don't jog. But whenever, I go out, I like to have a fountain pen on me. Most used ballpoint and some pencils. But I guess the majority use their smartphones.

I can reformulate my question: What is the fountain pen you reach for when you go out?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

No matter what the season maybe, and we have four in North Texas (freezing-cold, storms-r-us, humid-blazing-hot, storm-is-back)...

about the only consistent thing for me is that I probably would be using a different pen each week depending on what I was working on.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (May 12th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (May 13th, 2021), Yazeh (May 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Indubitably!

I'll bring at least one The-One pens, typically a Nakaya Piccolo, which is how I lost The One that kept falling "on the road" (in Kraków, in Zamość, and finally in Wrocław where it became lost forever) (I'd already been calling that Nakaya Piccolo, kuro-tamenuri, "Kurouac" before it comically ended up "so often" on the road.).

I usually carry two, though, if not more (four, but that would be for bike tours of at least a week -- and other travels). The-One Nakaya Piccolo and The-One Pilot PO nib (pen body subject to change) are the constant companions.

I also carry a cheap retractable gel pen, with a nock (?) not a twist, cos in the end, efficiency matters when riding (bicycles) with others when I'm already stopping frequently to take pictures. The RT gel pen is just easier to clip to my collar and *clicky click* scribble the note of the towns' names. (The One's (or The Ones') being in a pouch in a pack, for safety.)

Thanks

I don't mean this in a bad way, but why? Do you expect you'll need a pen during a jog?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I don't mean this in a bad way, but why? Do you expect you'll need a pen during a jog?
    When you're stopped repeatedly to sign autographs, it's best to be prepared.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (May 13th, 2021), dneal (May 28th, 2021), fountainpenkid (May 14th, 2021), Jon Szanto (May 13th, 2021), R.A. Stewart (May 13th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (May 13th, 2021), Stands on Feet (May 20th, 2021)