Thread: Noodler's Konrad Ebonite fountain pens - does the ebonite need special care??

Thanks

Default Noodler's Konrad Ebonite fountain pens - does the ebonite need special care??

I posted this elsewhere but got little response so thought the folks here at FPG might be able to help.

I know the subject of caring for vintage ebonite/hard rubber (HR) pens comes up from time but I have not seen anything recent, I am asking about the care and feeding of ebonite pens once again. I hope to have a vintage Waterman HR pen at some point, but the Noodler's Konrad Ebonite pen is much more in keeping with my wallet, so I have ordered a Noodler's Methusalah's Pine Cone Ripple pens - should be here today. (My first Noodler's pen as well as my first ebonite pen. ) Here is a photo from the Noodler's website:

DSC03847-300x207.jpg

So, do modern ebonite pens need the same care as vintage ebonite pens? The few things I know about the vintage pens is that you should avoid exposure to light - both sunlight and indoor lighting - because UV light will cause oxidation/discoloration of the rubber - and that the ebonite should not be soaked, at least not in warm/hot water, again due to discoloration. Is this true of modern ebonite as well?

Cleaning: Luckily, the Noodler's Konrad pen can be easily disassembled for cleaning so it should be a breeze, but... I "assume" that it is OK to clean and flush the pen with water, that brief exposure to same will not cause any harm. True? Can you use either mild dish soap or ammonia in the cleaning solution, if additives are needed, or will that spell disaster to the HR? (I can't imagine the dish soap would do much harm, but have no idea if HR and ammonia get along!)

Polishing: Necessary? If so, can you use the polish or polishing cloths used for pipe stems? And/or, can Sunshine polishing cloths be used safely?

Ink: Will ink stain ebonite? I intend to use Noodler's inks with the pen - why not? - so the ink will be nicely saturated. The section is made of ebonite so may - or WILL, no doubt - be exposed to ink when the pen is being filled. Is that a problem?

I know the pen hasn't been around that long, but please share your experiences with it - or with ebonite pens in general - with me!

(All this "angst" over a $40 pen, but it will be my first ebonite pen and I have read good reviews of the ebonite Konrads' appearance and performance so I want to do the best by it!)

Holly

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OakIris For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (July 26th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Noodler's Konrad Ebonite fountain pens - does the ebonite need special care??

I have three ebonite pens. Two are Edison Pen Co pens and the third is an Indian pen I purchased through Hari (Kim & Co. Jumbo). I have just kept to the no soaking in warm water and store them in the dark with no issues. I have noticed the threads on the Jumbo with a bit of blue staining but it may be because of the rougher finish. The Edison pens are a gloss finish and no inkiness seems to stick to them.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Default Re: Noodler's Konrad Ebonite fountain pens - does the ebonite need special care??

^^ Very encouraging - thank you for your response, Ivan.

Holly

Thanks

I have the Konrad Ebonite Sahara Olive/black - been a dailey for what 3 months - much better flow and performance than the resin model and the only issue I have had with it is the cap will "lock" if some one tightens it up too tight - never let an unknowing non fountain pen user touch your pen" Overall nice fit and finish for a 40 dollar pen in my opinion

Also have the acrylic John Mung edition

Happy with both

Carl
    Last edited by cwent2; July 26th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwent2 View Post
    I have the Konrad Ebonite Sahara Olive/black - been a dailey for what 3 months - much better flow and performance than the resin model and the only issue I have had it the cap will "lock" if some one tightens it up too tight - never let an unknowing non fountain pen user touch your pen" Overall nice fit and finish for a 40 dollar pen in my opinion

Also have the acrylic John Mung edition

Happy with both

Carl
    Another positive post about the Konrad! I take it you give it no special care, either, is that correct, Carl?

Can't wait until I get mine - tracking showed that my shipment arrived in my town this morning, provided it made it onto the truck, I should have it this afternoon. (Not sure what that emoticom is really supposed to indicate, but I decided that it was me being happy! lol )

Holly

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I have several ebonite pens, made from both vintage and modern ebonite. I store them in a wooden pen chest and have not had issues with oxidation or discoloration. When they're inked and in rotation, I use a leather pen case to carry them around. As far as staining goes, if you wipe the section promptly with a damp cloth, it shouldn't be an issue (especially on a new pen with a nice glossy finish). Routine flushing and rinsing won't hurt--just don't soak the section or cap for hours or overnight.

Ebonite is a wonderful material. I like the pretty color striations that are available, as well as how it feels in the hand (softer and warmer to the touch). I don't treat ebonite pens differently, but I treat all of my pens with the same amount of care whether they are worth $5 or $500.

Congratulations on your Konrad! I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks

Holly

Not that you have already pointed out that you knew about and what Ivan stated - no other special care - Of course I take special care of my fountain pens as opposed to a er ballpoints as we all do already anyway.

Carl
    Cw

That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

I've only had had the Noodler's Methusalah's Pine Cone Ripple pen a couple of weeks (nice!) so can't comment on the care of it specifically. But I don't plan to treat it special. Like Ivan I don't soak my ebonite pens and do store them in the dark. I'm liberal with the cool water when cleaning them, shake the loose water off, wipe the outside with a tissue, and let them air dry. I haven't had any staining issues with my ebonite pens. My oldest ebonite dates back to 2006.

Thanks

I'm about to get some ink samples and to make the postage worthwhile I might put one of these in the cart.

I've also been looking at the Varuna Rajan with the bakul finish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
    I posted this elsewhere but got little response so thought the folks here at FPG might be able to help.

I know the subject of caring for vintage ebonite/hard rubber (HR) pens comes up from time but I have not seen anything recent, I am asking about the care and feeding of ebonite pens once again. I hope to have a vintage Waterman HR pen at some point, but the Noodler's Konrad Ebonite pen is much more in keeping with my wallet, so I have ordered a Noodler's Methusalah's Pine Cone Ripple pens - should be here today. (My first Noodler's pen as well as my first ebonite pen. ) Here is a photo from the Noodler's website:

DSC03847-300x207.jpg

So, do modern ebonite pens need the same care as vintage ebonite pens? The few things I know about the vintage pens is that you should avoid exposure to light - both sunlight and indoor lighting - because UV light will cause oxidation/discoloration of the rubber - and that the ebonite should not be soaked, at least not in warm/hot water, again due to discoloration. Is this true of modern ebonite as well?

Cleaning: Luckily, the Noodler's Konrad pen can be easily disassembled for cleaning so it should be a breeze, but... I "assume" that it is OK to clean and flush the pen with water, that brief exposure to same will not cause any harm. True? Can you use either mild dish soap or ammonia in the cleaning solution, if additives are needed, or will that spell disaster to the HR? (I can't imagine the dish soap would do much harm, but have no idea if HR and ammonia get along!)

Polishing: Necessary? If so, can you use the polish or polishing cloths used for pipe stems? And/or, can Sunshine polishing cloths be used safely?

Ink: Will ink stain ebonite? I intend to use Noodler's inks with the pen - why not? - so the ink will be nicely saturated. The section is made of ebonite so may - or WILL, no doubt - be exposed to ink when the pen is being filled. Is that a problem?

I know the pen hasn't been around that long, but please share your experiences with it - or with ebonite pens in general - with me!

(All this "angst" over a $40 pen, but it will be my first ebonite pen and I have read good reviews of the ebonite Konrads' appearance and performance so I want to do the best by it!)

Holly
    So have you received your pen and taken it for a test write yet?

Enabler's want to know

cw
    Cw

That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

About Ebonite pens in general, not Noodler's Konrad specifically: I've been using moustache/beard wax on my new Indian Ebonites to keep the sheen on the barrel and cap. The brand of wax is Clubman, which I selected because it's basically beeswax, with softeners to make the wax pliable; the packaging also lists all of the ingredients, which I Googled, and found nothing toxic. Wax won't prevent gouges and other scarring, but it provides a nice protective coat that seems to prevent staining from fingertips. Has anyone else tried this?