Thread: Anyone used Standardgraph nibs? (dip pen)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Default Anyone used Standardgraph nibs? (dip pen)

I've settle down on Leonardt Ef Principal nib. It's the best nib for my needs and the many inks I use.
    I've tried some brause nib with "natural" ink, but they don't like it.
    I've rubbed and cleaned them with toothpaste and what not and it doesn't matter. They only like sumi inks.

I wonder has anyone used Standardgraph drawing nibs for calligraphy?

What is your experience and do you have a favorite?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

Default Re: Anyone used Standardgraph nibs? (dip pen)

I've got some, but haven't tried them yet - I try not to break in new nibs whilst I still have others on the go, and I'm working through a box of old Waverley's at the moment.

Have you tried potato for your Brause nibs? I tend to just flame them, but if I have to do several, I do still use the old potato trick. I'm no scientist, so have no idea what enzyme it is that breaks down the oil/coating, but it really does work!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I've got some, but haven't tried them yet - I try not to break in new nibs whilst I still have others on the go, and I'm working through a box of old Waverley's at the moment.
    Waverly, lucky you
    I just wondered if their worthwhile trying...
    Have you tried potato for your Brause nibs? I tend to just flame them, but if I have to do several, I do still use the old potato trick. I'm no scientist, so have no idea what enzyme it is that breaks down the oil/coating, but it really does work!
    No. I used it the toothpaste trick. And I washed the Brause (pumpkin & rose) several times. They don't like many types of inks (that's what I read on some review)
    I'm using some inks that are made the traditional way. I was lucky, I got them free. You would love them. But shipping is high.
    Leonardt likes most of them. Brause hates them.
    I like Leonardt.. But it's quite pricey here. Standardgraph seems cheap, hence my question...

Thanks

Try the potato! Just stick the nib in, forget about it for a few minutes, take it out and wipe! I use raw, but I believe cooked works too. Apparently they used to be just lying around in offices in some countries in the early part of the last century specifically for this use.

Thanks

Try the potato! Just stick the nib in, forget about it for a few minutes, take it out and wipe! I use raw, but I believe cooked works too. Apparently they used to be just lying around in offices in some countries in the early part of the last century specifically for this use.
    I've never heard of the potato trick. In Shakespeare in Love I thought they used a tomato.... hmmm, but then that wouldn't of been a steel nib anyway. I put my nibs through a flame.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks

Thanks mizgeroge. My question though was about Standardgraph nibs. Not how to prepare the finicky Brause nibs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    I've never heard of the potato trick. In Shakespeare in Love I thought they used a tomato.... hmmm, but then that wouldn't of been a steel nib anyway. I put my nibs through a flame.
    If that's in the movie they didn't do their research.. They didn't have iron nibs until 19th century and neither tomotoes or potatoes...
    Last edited by Yazeh; May 15th, 2021 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Thanks mizgeroge. My question though was about Standardgraph nibs. Not how to prepare the finicky Brause nibs.
    I've slapped my wrists.

I'll go and have a rummage and see if I can find a standardgraph to try out - was there a particular one you were thinking of - I think I probably have ballpoint and soft, though there may be some hard and italics that came as part of a set.

Thanks

I've slapped my wrists.
    Learned a new expression, though I'm not so sure if like it.

I'll go and have a rummage and see if I can find a standardgraph to try out - was there a particular one you were thinking of - I think I probably have ballpoint and soft, though there may be some hard and italics that came as part of a set.
    Soft, please. But only, and only when you have the time or inclination. There's no hurry....