Thread: Can you mail a nib in a first class envelope?

Thanks

Default Can you mail a nib in a first class envelope?

Do you think you can you mail a nib or two in a USPS first class envelope? Any advice for protecting it?
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks

Default Re: Can you mail a nib in a first class envelope?

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    Do you think you can you mail a nib or two in a USPS first class envelope? Any advice for protecting it?
    Don't know about postage/weight/size restrictions, but for protection I have had success with an ink sample vial. I've also used the hard carboard box which sometimes encloses a hinged jewellery box. The height of the box can be reduced by sawing through the sides longitudinally.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

jbb (June 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

You mean dip pen nibs?
    If so, if there's an envelope or some bubble wrap it should do it...
    Last edited by Yazeh; June 4th, 2021 at 08:42 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

jbb (June 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Another way would be also to order some nibs and see how others send them

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

jbb (June 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    You can, but it will exceed the 1/4-inch thickness limit and will bump up the postage. I mail nibs in 5ml vials that we use for swapping ink, or if more capacity is needed, discarded prescription bottles, and put them in a small padded envelope. A hard object like those will invite tearing of standard first class envelopes by sorting machinery.

Postal sorting machinery is abusing received mail more frequently these days, and the USPS's "We Care" plastic baggies containing what's left of cards and letters have yet to convince me of the depth of their caring feelings.

If you are quoting postage to a customer, you can use the USPS's calculate postage webpages: https://postcalc.usps.com If I don't have their zip code, I use one on the opposite end of the continent. I also round up to the next dollar in case the post office disagrees with the online calculation, especially when it comes to enclosures like rigid objects. When I've dropped mail in a mailbox, I've had more returns for additional postage since January than I have in the previous 10 years.
    Last edited by FredRydr; June 4th, 2021 at 08:55 AM.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (June 4th, 2021), Chrissy (June 22nd, 2021), CrayonAngelss (June 4th, 2021), guyy (June 4th, 2021), jbb (June 4th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (June 4th, 2021)

Thanks

You know these Brown card board boxes. Cut the square peace into a size square envelope shape.
    When you look on the sides you cut on the card board, you see a there are fine grooves of layer structures of layered and pasted boards.
    Those are nice to insert the nibs.
    You can still secure the nibs by wrapping up with tissues or soft silk paper and insert them. Make any shape of card board cuts and cover up with several layers of card boards around the piece which contains nibs or the nib .
    You can customise by size or shape. It is safer to travel in anyway any where as a letter.
    Once I ordered some pens ( nibs ) from USA. Just two dream nibs of Gillott . I paid 27$ ups ....Blah Blah Blah came in a " cats' size coffin" and I thought it is crazy packing. Packing is the part of a business.That attracts Customs in first place too and it will put a big Zoom on those type of Paking too.
    And again I won a bid for a WATERMAN'S blue key hole nib.from USA. I asked him if he could send it by cheaper post in a small pack . He said no. I had to pay all That UPS Blah Blah Blah. Paid a heavy postal charges plus customs.
    I was not happy with the nib because it is worse nib than a WATERMAN MANIFOLD. I paid £6 or £7 and returned. the seller got it back without problem.
    Last edited by Cyril; June 22nd, 2021 at 05:15 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (June 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

No...
    It needs to be sent as a parcel (Package)- in a bubble mailer (at minimum)

The loose nib itself should also be secured either in bubble wrap- or better, a "Coin" presentation case/packet

Frank
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (June 24th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    No...
    It needs to be sent as a parcel (Package)- in a bubble mailer (at minimum)

The loose nib itself should also be secured either in bubble wrap- or better, a "Coin" presentation case/packet

Frank
    I would go with Frank's answer. With that said, I have received nibs in small hard plastic tubes that seem to be made for nibs. TWSBI used to send out nib units in a similar tube that looks more robust. I tried looking for a picture of one in my Flickr account but came up empty.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 426 Posts

jbb--I've received two #6 Jowo nib units from Franklin-Christoph in the past. They put each nib unit in an ink sample vial that has a small piece of styrofoam peanut shoved into the bottom. Each nib unit goes in point first and the top of the vial has a little bit of styrofoam peanut. Lid is then screwed on. The two sample vials are in a #000 (4x8) padded envelope with the paperwork wrapped around the vials and sent by first class mail with a $3.25 postage. Pretty well protected imho.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

16. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 25th, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks God We have a Royal Mail SERVICE!!!
    Once I had down rated our postal service but I am convinced It way more better -300% THAN UPS perhaps.
    ( I have seen how they were doing recklessly during the election in USA . It is sad. Just like the mafis dump truck cleaning. Sorry folks no politicks here. I stopped buying anything linked to UPS )

These pens are really treasures and worth a big value. Just came to me as an unregistered envelope with a secure rigid pack. Only as a simple tracking postal envelope.
    Just yesterday.

My répond to this thread is to justify my take on this question on this thread and tis is the proof.
    I think the answer varies to each county and I respect all your answers here.

Royal mail.jpg

Royal mail2.jpg
    Last edited by Cyril; June 26th, 2021 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks

In los Estados Unidos, the definitive answer is here:https://pe.usps.com/businessmail101?ViewName=Letters

To summarize, to travel at the $0.55 letter rate, a letter must be less than 1/4” thick and can’t be rigid. If you try to sneak it through, it’ll probably catch in the machinery and the nib will suffer, perhaps fatally. Better to pack it properly and pay the small parcel rate.
    Last edited by guyy; June 26th, 2021 at 01:28 PM.