Thread: single ink users? go-to ink?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default single ink users? go-to ink?

Anybody have an ink they use almost to the exclusion of all others? I've used Private Reserve Ebony Green for 2 years, rarely inking a pen with anything else. It helps identify me as the writer, and also keeps me from fiddling endlessly fiddling with my pens (I know, I know, that's the appeal...)

whaddya think?

Thanks

Not quite, although all my work stuff uses Rotring Brillant Ultramarine - I've two bottles of that, and leave one at work with my Hero 616

Thanks

My dream is to find the one ink that is always appealing, always satisfying, always my favorite. Cleaning pens is definitely not part of the appeal for me. I'd also like to use the one ink that anyone/everyone would see on paper and exclaim, "Eric wrote that!"

Alas, the hunt has occupied me long. The bottled fruits of my many labors adorn the cubbyholes to my left, peering out and winking at me whenever I'm spied with an empty pen in hand...

Weep for me not my brothers, I've ink enough for us all. Hoorah!!

Eric
    Son of Ragnar

Thanks

I use Aurora Blue almost exclusively and love it. I occasionally buy a bottle of J. Herbin but mostly stick to my usual.

Thanks

I love both Aurora Blue and Aurora Black. Very, very nice inks. In fact, I'd call Aurora Black the only black I use.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

I mostly use Visconti Turquoise. If I could only use one ink it would probably be that. But, I really like reds and purples and greens. And oranges. Bananas are good too. Wait...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

I bought the Visconti turquoise recently too and was surprised how much I liked it. I am not big on lots of colors of ink for some reason - I use a lot of blue black and copper types of colors but the turquoise has made it into two pens. Then, I decided to try the Visconti Hunter Green ( my go to color for other things in life) and I am really enjoying it, too. So maybe I didn't have the right brands and colors. I will continue to try and branch out.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Thanks

If I had to choose only one ink to last me for the rest of ever, it would be Visconti Sepia. No wait, Waterman South Sea Blue. Uhh, no, Waterman Florida Blue. Oh, maybe iroshizuku tsuki-yo?

I'll keep trying.

Thanks

I doubt I'll ever be a one-ink guy, but Aurora, with its lone two inks, might just make the single best blue and the single best black. I use and love both. (That said, I do use other blues and blacks -- and other colors -- too.)

jor412

For anyone using only one or two inks, how does the ink perform in different pens? Are there noticeable differences? And does it matter? I'm quite curious about the use of only one or two inks. Right now, I have several colors which I hope to eventually narrow down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    For anyone using only one or two inks, how does the ink perform in different pens? Are there noticeable differences?
    I choose my inks based solely on the color it leaves on the paper after it dries. I've never noticed any performance difference between inks or even between the same ink in different pens. There may be scientific tests for viscosity that could prove differences, but I don't want to make my fountain pen experience too scientific. I prefer thinking of it as art.

=) Eric
    Son of Ragnar

jor412

Quote Originally Posted by eriquito View Post
    I choose my inks based solely on the color it leaves on the paper after it dries. I've never noticed any performance difference between inks or even between the same ink in different pens. There may be scientific tests for viscosity that could prove differences, but I don't want to make my fountain pen experience too scientific. I prefer thinking of it as art.

=) Eric
    Son of Ragnar
    I do the same. The color after the ink dries is what I enjoy. About the science side of things: I'm not interested either though when someone talks about it, sure, I'll read it. I did notice that a green ink I mixed looked darker in a vintage Sheaffer Craftsman than in a Kaweco Sport, both with similar nib width.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    The color after the ink dries is what I enjoy.
    Same here! So much so that I'll often study the ink lines with a loupe. Getting up close and personal adds to my enjoyment of the ink. Go figure.

=) Eric

jor412

Quote Originally Posted by eriquito View Post
    Same here! So much so that I'll often study the ink lines with a loupe. Getting up close and personal adds to my enjoyment of the ink. Go figure.

=) Eric
    Oh I should try that especially since my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.