Thread: Franklin Christoph P66

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Franklin Christoph P66

A short while ago I acquired a Franklin Christoph P66 in an unusual and beautiful material, like this:

My version is fitted with a Nagahara needlepoint.

It wasn't especially clear to me at the time why I bought this, but on reflection I am slightly ashamed to admit that it was something of a panic buy - get something in limited material, anything before they're all gone! I am sure you get the picture. Problem is that the P66 is too small for my hands. So, what to do with it? Probably too much time to expect a swap for a different FC, and there's a small part of my primitive brain that says 'Keep it. They won't likely be made again' (not that I would expect prices to go up).

It really is a nice pen though... my buyer's regret is not about buying a pen, but rather about choosing the wrong model for the wrong reason. Which is why a swap (even with cash adjustment) would work for me. <shrug>

I wish they would use this material on other models - it was by Brooks and called Grizzly, but I think it may be the same as the other material they had called 'Southwestern'. Not sure/

Thanks

Default Re: Franklin Christoph P66

I understand your predicament, and have been tempted by the same compulsion before.

I can't find any exemplars of a 66P on the F-C website, so I can't assess whether it would be too small for me (though I fear it might be).

I wish I had a solution for you, other than purchasing another Jowo holder (perhaps a Ranga? They have some interesting acrylics, but nothing as nice as the Brooks Grizzly on your 66P).

Have you seen the Model 20 in Deep Stone Earth? Another limited edition with similar colours as the Grizzly, but in a 'cracked ice' style: https://www.franklin-christoph.com/c...earth-stone-se

It is likely a longer pen at 127mm unposted. I'm not sure if I've helped or hindered. Good luck!

P.S. How is the needlepoint? I'm wavering between a needlepoint and a fine CI for my first F-C.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (June 10th, 2021)

Thanks

The Model 20 I have is one of my favourite pens, and I am going to grab the new colourway too!

As for the Nagahara needlepoint, I like it much more than anticipated. It's crisp and quite firm (just a little give if you lean on it a bit) and a lot smoother than expected. I also have a fine CI (also Nagahara grind) and that is a superb nib! Thinking about getting another, but you know how it is when pickings are slim there is the temptation for every purchase to be different to the last. However, I am coming around to the idea of buying more nibs that I already know I'll enjoy, instead of an ever-growing circle of individual different nibs.

By the way, I have a Ranga pen. Great size, ebonite is okay though nothing to shout about, nib is an extra fine Jowo that writes a similar line to the needlepoint but is much firmer.

In terms of independent makers of pens, Franklin Christoph (to me) stand out above all the other makers I've tried. While I hear the rare complaint, their fit and finish and customer service is pretty much top-notch.

Thanks

Sorry to turn this into a public conversation, but I'm of two minds about the Model 20 and would value your input. I know you give serious consideration to all your pens. Do you find that the recessed nib collects ink and makes a mess, or does a little dabbing with a tissue after a fill solve that problem with ease?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Do you find that the recessed nib collects ink and makes a mess, or does a little dabbing with a tissue after a fill solve that problem with ease?
    This was the biggest drawback when I was considering the pen. But after buying an 02, I was prepared to trust FC's ability to make a thoughtfully designed pen. The first fill does draw ink into the recess, but it is simple enough to wick it away with a tissue or cloth. For subsequent fills (same colour), I just syringe the cartridge.

The 20 is a very nice pen: the slip cap system is terrific--probably better than the Conid Minimalistica. The only "drawback" of the pen is that it is very light. I'm fine with that, as it is otherwise beautifully balanced and sits well in the hand. The lack of threads allows me to grip the pen further back, which is my preference, and the material is not slippery. I'm very happy with mine.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (June 10th, 2021)

Thanks

As noted by silverlifter, the potential to get ink in the recess is there. However, I don't fill my 20 by dipping the nib in the ink, I always just fill the converter. So this issue doesn't apply to me. I also have a 31 with the same recessed nib. Yes, the 20 is a light pen, suits me though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (June 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Do you find that the recessed nib collects ink and makes a mess, or does a little dabbing with a tissue after a fill solve that problem with ease?
    This was the biggest drawback when I was considering the pen. But after buying an 02, I was prepared to trust FC's ability to make a thoughtfully designed pen. The first fill does draw ink into the recess, but it is simple enough to wick it away with a tissue or cloth. For subsequent fills (same colour), I just syringe the cartridge.

The 20 is a very nice pen: the slip cap system is terrific--probably better than the Conid Minimalistica. The only "drawback" of the pen is that it is very light. I'm fine with that, as it is otherwise beautifully balanced and sits well in the hand. The lack of threads allows me to grip the pen further back, which is my preference, and the material is not slippery. I'm very happy with mine.
    I was considering ...........getting a 20, but you say it's pretty light? I prefer pens with a little more weight to them. The slip cap sounds nice as well.

When are they going to get in some of the out of stock nibs in? I have been waiting quite a while............does anyone have any experience into the timeline on these out of stock nibs and when they offer them up up again?
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    When are they going to get in some of the out of stock nibs in? I have been waiting quite a while............does anyone have any experience into the timeline on these out of stock nibs and when they offer them up up again?
    I waited for about two months for a restock of the Nagahara cursive italic in fine. It seems they do have a reasonable pipeline for most of their specialty nibs, so the wait shouldn't be too long.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

wingwiper (June 12th, 2021)

Thanks

if you purchased thru F-C recently,they have a very generous return policy.