Thread: Montblanc Leaking

Thanks

Default Montblanc Leaking

Hi All.
    I'm wondering if you could help me with a problem.

I recently bought a bottle of the Montblanc Elixir ink (Wood and Tobaco). I'm not sure if its related or not, but after a few hours using the pen with this ink I noticed drops on my fingers. It was quite a lot, actually.

I removed the ink, washed the pen and filled with the regular montblanc ink. Same problem, after I start writing for some time (seems like handling and turning the pen causes the problem more than writing) I see a lot of ink building up on the tins (see picture). I have never noticed behavior like this on the other montblancs I have.

The pen have a couple of hairline cracks in the barrel where the piston is screwed, but they are really hairline and interestingly they were there before and I haven't had any issues before.

Sending it to Montblanc is hard, from what I know here in Brazil that would cost me more than a new pen.

Any suggestions?

Leaking.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc Leaking

Sadly the leak is probably associated with the hairline cracks in the barrel and the only potential fix has to be a new barrel.

I'm not sure why you say that sending it to Montblanc would cost more than a new pen but for them it would be a fairly straightforward fix to replace the whole barrel (and several other potential parts that might be affected) within their level one service that is not overly expensive.

When I log onto the Montblanc web-site and choose Brazil a Montblanc.com.br page comes up that will surely give you instructions on how to have your pen fixed. There is also a Montblanc boutique in Sao Paulo that you could send it to if that was the only way to get it to Hamburg.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Wmundstock (June 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Unfortunately they wont even take my pen for repairs. Its a 1990 pen and I don't have the papers. I'm on my own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wmundstock View Post
    Unfortunately they wont even take my pen for repairs. Its a 1990 pen and I don't have the papers. I'm on my own.
    I agree with Chrissy, it does appear to be related to barrell cracking. This sounds very unlike any experience I've ever had with Montblanc. Any repair I've been quoted has been for less than a second hand pen cost, nevermind a new pen.

Did you take the pen to a boutique?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That's a current model pen that they have parts for. if someone at Montblanc says they won't take it then I suggest you send an email to the CEO and ask why.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    I agree with Chrissy, it does appear to be related to barrell cracking. This sounds very unlike any experience I've ever had with Montblanc. Any repair I've been quoted has been for less than a second hand pen cost, nevermind a new pen.

Did you take the pen to a boutique?
    There are none where I live. The montblanc service is handled via a third party jewelry. I just called them and they said montblanc won't take my pen for repair without the proof of purchase and certificate of warranty. They said its montblanc's policy and that no exceptions are allowed. In addition, even if I had the papers, they said they charge me 370 BRL 70 USD just for handling. Clearly they don't want to do it.
    Last edited by Wmundstock; June 10th, 2021 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Contact them directly:
    https://www.montblanc.com.br/institucional/contato

or call them... (11) 4130-5969
    3rd party jeweller doesn't want to be bothered

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (June 11th, 2021), Chrissy (June 10th, 2021), Wile E Coyote (June 10th, 2021), Wmundstock (June 10th, 2021)

Thanks

There are none where I live. The montblanc service is handled via a third party jewelry. I just called them and they said montblanc won't take my pen for repair without the proof of purchase and certificate of warranty. They said its montblanc's policy and that no exceptions are allowed. In addition, even if I had the papers, they said they charge me 370 BRL 70 USD just for handling. Clearly they don't want to do it.
    That is a complete load of rubbish and is absolutely not correct. Montblanc may not do a free nib exchange without proof of purchase, but they will definitely repair pens at their repair prices without proof of purchase or warranty.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

jar (June 10th, 2021), Wile E Coyote (June 10th, 2021), Wmundstock (June 10th, 2021), Yazeh (June 10th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Yup. Local dealer is just trying to sell you another pen. Contact MB directly and all will soon be fine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Yup. Local dealer is just trying to sell you another pen. Contact MB directly and all will soon be fine.
    In fact I did contact Montblanc beforehand, but they told me to contact the local dealer. I did see a couple of other mentions of similar issues in my country.

I will give it another try, if not I'll check with other "not authorized" service business.
    There are 2 or 3 of these in São Paulo, and from what I know they do a good job. Fingers crossed... because I do like this pen.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
    Last edited by Wmundstock; June 10th, 2021 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks

The Montblanc website lists 8 MB Boutiques and 50 authorized resellers in São Paulo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    In fact I did contact Montblanc beforehand, but they told me to contact the local dealer. I did see a couple of other mentions of similar issues in my country.

I will give it another try, if not I'll check with other "not authorized" service business.
    There are 2 or 3 of these in São Paulo, and from what I know they do a good job. Fingers crossed... because I do like this pen.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
    I would go down the Montblanc route because you will definitely need a new barrel at the very least and once you get it to Hamburg they will have exactly the right one for your pen that will probably be your most reasonable price. No-one who is "not authorised" can get fountain pen barrels from Montblanc. If you can get it to one of their authorised boutiques in Sao Paulo then they will probably have a collection service to securely send items to Hamburg. That would be a reasonably safe way for you to get it to them. Unless you can make contact with someone in their Customer Service department who might be kind enough to send you a pre-paid "service pack" that you can send it in.