Thread: Is there help for having, and using to many Fountain Pens? And CONTEST.

Thanks

Default Is there help for having, and using to many Fountain Pens? And CONTEST.

Today, I looked around and was trying to decide which pen to take some notes with, and realized that I currently have 16 fountain pens inked at my desk that I am using. Anyone have any suggestions?

I do keep moving out those that don't get writing time, or that just don't feel good in my hand, but, selling is so very hard.

And now the Contest: By June 18th, noon PST, the first person who is correctly able to identify all the pens in this picture will win a pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Default Re: Is there help for having, and using to many Fountain Pens? And CONTEST.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond3 View Post
    Today, I looked around and was trying to decide which pen to take some notes with, and realized that I currently have 16 fountain pens inked at my desk that I am using. Anyone have any suggestions?...
    Yes: enjoy them! I have the same number of inked pens on my desk in a 15-pen rack plus one desk pen.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (June 11th, 2021), Raymond3 (June 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Is there help for having, and using to many Fountain Pens? And CONTEST.

Yes, just put them away when empty.

Thanks

I have 16 pens in total and all of them are always inked

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrayonAngelss For This Useful Post:

Raymond3 (June 11th, 2021), Yazeh (June 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Give the unused ones to a relative or friend, or donate them to a charitable auction.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Raymond3 (June 11th, 2021), Robert (June 11th, 2021)

Thanks

I have 19 inked fountain pens on my desk. (I can't name them all, so I won't ask you to.) Besides the 19 fountain pens, also on my desk are 12 unusual dip pens with flex nibs, a double inkwell, 3 bottles of ink, 5 vials of sample ink and the remote control for my Eufy, robot vacuum cleaner. Obviously I can offer you no help in your predicament.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

Raymond3 (June 11th, 2021), Yazeh (June 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Red face Re: Is there help for having, and using to many Fountain Pens? And CONTEST.

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    I have 19 inked fountain pens on my desk. (I can't name them all, so I won't ask you to.) Besides the 19 fountain pens, also on my desk are 12 unusual dip pens with flex nibs, a double inkwell, 3 bottles of ink, 5 vials of sample ink and the remote control for my Eufy, robot vacuum cleaner. Obviously I can offer you no help in your predicament.
    OK. I'm not the only one. That is comforting!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Raymond3 For This Useful Post:

jbb (June 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    Give the unused ones to a relative or friend, or donate them to a charitable auction.
    Yup. I agree. In this past two months, I have given away 7 to family and friends. Most had never owned a fountain pen until then. I already got a hand written letter from a grandchild written with the fountain pen.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Raymond3 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 11th, 2021), CrayonAngelss (June 11th, 2021), eachan (June 12th, 2021), jar (June 11th, 2021), jbb (June 11th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (June 11th, 2021), Yazeh (June 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

...I have given away 7 to family and friends...I already got a hand written letter from a grandchild written with the fountain pen.
    Wow! You have made progress!

Thanks

If you're using them, no problem. Enjoy!
    Malcolm

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Malcolm For This Useful Post:

Raymond3 (June 12th, 2021)

Thanks

If you know exactly how many pens you have, you don’t really have a problem with fountain pens.

But seriously, giving them away sounds like the best plan.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    If you know exactly how many pens you have, you don’t really have a problem with fountain pens.
    LOL. That is funny. I didn't say that I knew exactly how many fountain pens I have, only that I currently have 16 inked at my desk that I am using (you know, writing with or testing or fondling or just simply enjoying having close.)

How many do I have? I haven't tried to answer that question for a long time, but yes, most will be given away. Besides lots of family and friends, I have 23 grandchildren, and each will be getting (or already got) a nice fountain pen from grandpa sooner or later. Many of those are already set aside in a special box for future giving. Just recently, i have decided that I won't generally be giving vintage pens (mostly old Parkers and some Conway Stewarts) to the grandchildren because of their need for occasional servicing and because the modern pens (especially the cartridge converters) are so very well built and will last a lifetime with little or no service. So, there are another 20 or so that I may be pulling out of storage and selling or trading to upgrade for giving away.

One thing about this hobby, it is much easier to add pens than it is to subtract pens.

Thanks

...I didn't say that I knew exactly how many fountain pens I have, only that I currently have 16 inked at my desk that I am using (you know, writing with or testing or fondling or just simply enjoying having close.)

How many do I have? I haven't tried to answer that question for a long time, but yes, most will be given away. Besides lots of family and friends, I have 23 grandchildren, and each will be getting (or already got) a nice fountain pen from grandpa sooner or later. Many of those are already set aside in a special box for future giving. Just recently, i have decided that I won't generally be giving vintage pens (mostly old Parkers and some Conway Stewarts) to the grandchildren because of their need for occasional servicing and because the modern pens (especially the cartridge converters) are so very well built and will last a lifetime with little or no service. So, there are another 20 or so that I may be pulling out of storage and selling or trading to upgrade for giving away.
    You had me at 23 grandchildren!!!!! Not only is it reasonable for you not to track your pens I would impressed if you retain ALL their names!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

Thanks

[QUOTE=jbb;327917]
    You had me at 23 grandchildren!!!!! Not only is it reasonable for you not to track your pens I would impressed if you retain ALL their names!
    OH! WOW! Your observation just me realize that I haven't even begun to collect fountain pens for the great-grandchildren. All my calculations just went out the window. And, the next time that my wife askes how many fountain pens I have, I can honestly say: Well, not enough to give one to each of our descendants........ yet. And, it is reasonable to give a starter pen for beginning to learn penmanship (TWSBI and Pilots are my favorite here, especially the Kakuno and Plumix) and then later a real nice fountain pen that Grandpa actually used at his desk for graduation.

This realization just made my day! Now, i am really looking forward to the San Francisco Pen show in August.
    Last edited by Raymond3; June 12th, 2021 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Raymond3;327922]
    Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    OH! WOW! Your observation just me realize that I haven't even begun to collect fountain pens for the great-grandchildren. All my calculations just went out the window. And, the next time that my wife askes how many fountain pens I have, I can honestly say: Well, not enough to give one to each of our descendants........ yet. And, it is reasonable to give a starter pen for beginning to learn penmanship (TWSBI and Pilots are my favorite here, especially the Kakuno and Plumix) and then later a real nice fountain pen that Grandpa actually used at his desk for graduation.

This realization just made my day! Now, i am really looking forward to the San Francisco Pen show in August.
    Yes!!! You are lagging in your pen shopping so get on that! As for your wife, it is essential that she can buy whatever she likes of equal or greater value to your pens. Mischief managed.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post

But seriously, giving them away sounds like the best plan.
    I agree,, people like me it is like dementia .. My pens are everywhere in boxes in the drawers and AS I AM LIVING IN A BOX IN LONDON can't complain all the time.
    I faced this problem and as my ink got wider and pen accumulation was frequent found so many pens with ink 10-15. Then I had a book and allocated a sheet to record what ink and what pens are in used.
    Then I have decided to reduce them and now I have less than 6 pens and if ever I want a pen with a particular ink I do dip writing. As simple as that.
    Also I have lot of dip pens ...A LOT THAN I IMAGINE. WITH VARIOUS VINTAGE NIBS. That is also a problem too.

This is a problem in general for your consistency of work. If you have a ranges of every lenses for your camera your choice of shooting will be overwhelmed and your consistency of photo work change.
    That's why you need to shoot only with one lens for a long time .

I think that may apply to the writing too. I do it my calligraphy practice and that's how you have to see your own mistakes.
    I think we have to have that approach using Fountain pens too.
    Limit inking pens to minimum will help to see and know about your pens and their characters too. My two cent on this ...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Raymond3 (June 23rd, 2021)