Thread: Art and Artists

Thanks
    Thanked 2,564 Times in 694 Posts

Default Art and Artists

Many of us probably saw this recent news story about the artist who sold an "invisible sculpture". It is invisible because, in fact, there is nothing there. Although the artist himself disputes that it is non-existent.

And now that I think of it, one might argue that the term "invisible" properly applies only to objects that do have a material existence but which cannot be detected by our sense of vision. Air, for example. But I digress.

Anyway, the snide comments and jokes about Mr. Garau's opus practically write themselves. And although he himself was relatively open about the nature of what he was selling, one has to wonder about the thinking of whatever individual actually bought it. The best explanation I can come up with is that the buyer, and the other bidders on this bit of nothing, wanted an excuse for making a gift to an older artist (he's 67) who may have needed some quick cash.

But, never having heard of Salvatore Garau, I was curious as to what other art he might have produced. And although this is the result of only a quick googling, I found some abstract paintings of his which really did appeal to me. A couple of examples can be found here.

https://alchetron.com/Salvatore-Gara...esize-750.jpeg

"This story has no moral, this story has no end..."

There's no need to make any final judgments. It's just that the invisible sculpture story might make one shake one's head over what a huge con the modern art scene is. And to some extent, that is true. But there are still talented people out there making their own kind of art.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

guyy (June 20th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Default Re: Art and Artists

Clearly, the sculpture was fashioned from the Emperor's New Clothes.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD