Thread: Noodler’s Ottoman Rose

Thanks
    Thanked 6,237 Times in 2,252 Posts

Default Noodler’s Ottoman Rose

Noodler’s Ottoman Rose

This is one the earliest inks I bought. One of those rare inks that can handle Jinhao 450 fude nibs with no problem and never dries out.
    Swab
    20210623_075724.jpg

I do a lot of editing and I truly enjoy jotting notes and doodling with a fine nib.
    Ottoman Rose-Sketch.jpg

Ink has decent water resistance, i.e., most of your text will be legible with a minor spill.

Ottomoan water before.jpeg
    Ottoman Rose water test -after.jpeg
    The only downside is dry time is high with wet pens and non-absorbent paper, Duh! This can easily be mitigated with finer nibs and absorbent paper, obviously. Suffice to say, if you’re lefty over writer who like wide nibs, wet pens and water-resistant paper and write from right to left, you’re in trouble!

So, what make this ink special, besides it being very well behaved, wet, lubricated, and vibrant?

The name.
    The name?!
    “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    Indeed.
    Ottoman rose - 1.jpg

I am not sure if Nathan Tardif had this originally in mind but here goes:

The artwork is a scene from a harem.
    Ottoman Rose231.jpg

The name Ottoman Rose reminds me of a semi-double gallica (French) rose, La Belle Sultane. What does a French rose to do with the Ottoman Turks?

Patience.

The rose is named after Aimée Dubucq de Rivery, a distant cousin of Josephine Beauharnais, Napoleon Bonaparte’s love and first wife.

Aimée was sent to France to attend an academy for young girls. On her return her to Martinique her ship was attacked by pirates, and she was sold off to the harem of the Ottoman King (Sultan) of the time.
    She gave birth to the future Mahmoud II.
    The rose was named after her.
    Now most of the story is false and seems out of the Angelique series. But then again, stories are here to take us away.

La Belle Sultane, has not been as cooperative as the ink, this year, its flowers, due to the early heat waves, were pink and not that rich deep burgundy colour as above. However a slight wash did the trick.

Ottoman Rose301.jpg

Here are some text samples.
    Midori - Text start with fude... finishes with medium.
    Ottoman Rose midori.jpg

Tomoe River 68 gr - note the colour changed compared with Midori

Ottoman Rose TR 68gr.jpeg
    Comparaison:
    Ottoman Rose _Comparaison.jpeg

· Pens used: Pilot Metropolitan fine, Jinhao 450 fude nib
    · Shading: Depends on paper
    · Ghosting: Depends on the paper
    · Bleed through: On copy paper with a wide, wet nib.
    · Flow Rate: Nice and wet
    · Lubrication: Nice
    · Nib Dry-out: Nope.
    · Start-up: No problem.
    · Saturation: Unabashedly pink
    · Shading Potential: Wet flex nib yes.
    · Sheen: No
    · Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Didn’t notice.
    · Nib Creep / “Crud”: None
    · Staining (pen): Nope. Easy to clean…
    · Clogging: Not at all
    · Water resistance: Won’t survive a flood but it will fight off a glass of water gallantly.
    · Availability: Only in bottle.

Enjoy!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 4th, 2021), damfino (July 13th, 2021), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 3rd, 2021), Jon Szanto (July 3rd, 2021), junglejim (July 3rd, 2021), Malcolm (July 4th, 2021), Robert (July 3rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (July 3rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

Default Re: Noodler’s Ottoman Rose

Thank-you for the lovely review Yazeh! Noodler's Ottoman Rose is Nathan's interpretation of the long lost ink known as Sheaffer's Persian Rose, a color no one really has a good idea of since the few surviving samples have changed color over the decades.

I wrote a rambling post about it back in November 2018, trying to find a way to recreate the color when I still had access to a full analytical laboratory.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...r-Persian-Rose

(Sorry for the tangent.) Now back to the original thread!

All the Best.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 4th, 2021), elaineb (July 5th, 2021), guyy (July 4th, 2021), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 3rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (July 3rd, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the detailed link, I enjoyed reading about it.
    It's confusing, Shah's and Ottoman's Rose. Unusual choice to use two rivals. After all Pesian's and Ottoman's were rival for centuries... if not millennia (if we consider the Byzantine)
    I didn't post Ottoman Rose's chroma. I can, if you're interested, but it's just pink....so I didn't bother...
    Last edited by Yazeh; July 3rd, 2021 at 03:20 PM.

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Thanks a lot for the detailed link, I enjoyed reading about it.
    It's confusing, Shah's and Ottoman's Rose. Unusual choice to use two rivals. After all Pesian's and Ottoman's were rival for centuries... if not millennia (if we consider the Byzantine)
    I didn't post Ottoman Rose's chroma. I can, if you're interested, but it's just pink....so I didn't bother...
    Maybe that may be the actual reason FOR choosing those two names?...
    The rivalry between the two camps who insist that THEIR bottle/memory of Skrip Persian rose looked like A!(Ottoman rose) or the camp who insisted that camp A was wrong, and that in fact, Persian rose looked like B!(shah's rose)
    Nathan having a bottle/sample of both, replicated both and then named them in a funny way?... he DOES enjoy his names having significance

7. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (July 3rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Since the Sheaffer's Perian Rose ink has come up in the conversation, here are a couple of images. I believe JJ's thread referenced above was earlier than my 3rd image, which was done for a 30 inks in 30 days project. I made it to Day #11, I think. Typical...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 4th, 2021), damfino (July 13th, 2021), guyy (July 3rd, 2021), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 3rd, 2021), junglejim (July 3rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (July 3rd, 2021), Yazeh (July 3rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

Thank-you Jon. You always do a great job composing your photos.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 3rd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Thank you, Jim, that is kind of you. I should have mentioned that in the last photo, the background is an image of Persian roses in the gardens of the Shah Abbas Mosque in Isfahan, Iran.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Noodler’s Ottoman Rose

This is one the earliest inks I bought.
    Yazeh, thank you for a lovely post, filled with information and delightful images. I'm contemplating a bottle of that ink... and I hardly need another bottle of ink!!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

I must check out my bottle of Persian Rose to see what colour it looks now. It was always a different shade to Jon's bottle.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks for the excellent review and thread.
    Malcolm

Thanks

Nice review! I like this shade. I’m forever searching for an ink similar to the Uniball Signo DX gel ink “Bordeaux Black”….this looks close - a little pinker, but close!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Thank you, Jim, that is kind of you. I should have mentioned that in the last photo, the background is an image of Persian roses in the gardens of the Shah Abbas Mosque in Isfahan, Iran.
    Jon thanks for these lovely photos. There is the slight possibility that the rose in photo not being a "Persian" rose. Now if my rose memory serves me right, the actual Persian rose, used to make rose water is a semi-double rose.

The one in your photo looks like a hybrid tea rose
    It is obviously understandable that no municipality would like to plant roses that flower once a year for a brief moment of time

And it is foolhardy to attempt recreate the exact hue of any flower, in this case a specific rose as the colour can be affected by environmental factors

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Thanks. We need to thank junglejim, Jon and Chrissy for bringing their wealth of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
    Nice review! I like this shade. I’m forever searching for an ink similar to the Uniball Signo DX gel ink “Bordeaux Black”….this looks close - a little pinker, but close!
    Thanks...
    You can always opt for Black Rose in Australian or English Roses...

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 4th, 2021), Malcolm (July 5th, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks. We need to thank junglejim, Jon and Chrissy for bringing their wealth of knowledge

Thanks...
    You can always opt for Black Rose in Australian or English Roses...
    Black Swan in English Roses has a cool backstory:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SFFy3xIkcA

22. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (July 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post

Black Swan in English Roses has a cool backstory:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SFFy3xIkcA
    Thank you so much, for this link. I was working on review of Black Swan and the backstory gives even more poignancy to what I knew.. much appreciated...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 4th, 2021), Lloyd (July 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Jon thanks for these lovely photos. There is the slight possibility that the rose in photo not being a "Persian" rose. Now if my rose memory serves me right, the actual Persian rose, used to make rose water is a semi-double rose.
    You very well could be correct. I want to state clearly: this is not an area of any expertise at all for me - either historically, geopolitically, or horticulturally. So I approached it (originally) with care and not being too certain of things. For any who would be interested in the specific page of information on Persian roses that I accessed the image from, it is here and includes a number of other photos from the general area. Maybe this will fill in the picture a little more.

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (July 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    You very well could be correct. I want to state clearly: this is not an area of any expertise at all for me - either historically, geopolitically, or horticulturally. So I approached it (originally) with care and not being too certain of things. For any who would be interested in the specific page of information on Persian roses that I accessed the image from, it is here and includes a number of other photos from the general area. Maybe this will fill in the picture a little more.
    In retrospect, Nathan's goal was to recreate Skrip Persian Rose ink .....and not a rose (plant). In my photos I have used three roses, one Canadian, one US and one French.... they all seem share something with the Persian, Ottoman or Arabian rose...

Jim, here is Ottoman Rose's chroma...

Ottoman Rose - Chroma.jpg

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

junglejim (July 4th, 2021)

Thanks

just in case you wanted to compare, here's Shah's Rose
    (chroma is on a coffee filter, slightly cream colour of main paper is because it's a Rhodia WebNotebook and that paper is not optical white like Clairefontaine paper is)
    Attached Images Attached Images

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

damfino (July 13th, 2021), junglejim (July 4th, 2021), Lloyd (July 5th, 2021), Yazeh (July 5th, 2021)