Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked 413 Times in 238 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    No one has mentioned Franklin Christoph pens, strangely. They are cartridge/converter filled, come in a variety of shapes and sizes, have a few options when it comes to demonstrator materials (Italian Ice, Vintage Glass, etc.), and from all the accounts their nibs are wonderful (I've never had the pleasure, sadly). And for $150-165 USD including shipping, not a million miles away from OP's budget.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

    Hernan Cortes (July 6th, 2021)

  3. #22
    Junior Member Hernan Cortes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    The PenBBS 308 clear glass, would take a cartridge.
    Thank you but I only found the PenBBS 308 with a converter, not with cartridge system.

  4. #23
    Junior Member Hernan Cortes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    No one has mentioned Franklin Christoph pens, strangely. They are cartridge/converter filled, come in a variety of shapes and sizes, have a few options when it comes to demonstrator materials (Italian Ice, Vintage Glass, etc.), and from all the accounts their nibs are wonderful (I've never had the pleasure, sadly). And for $150-165 USD including shipping, not a million miles away from OP's budget.
    Thanks! The Italian Ice model definitely looks beautiful but its sold out, I will check again in a few weeks to see if their have restocked.

  5. #24
    Senior Member Wile E Coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    18SWK7534504853
    Posts
    830
    Thanks
    172
    Thanked 537 Times in 325 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hernan Cortes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    The PenBBS 308 clear glass, would take a cartridge.
    Thank you but I only found the PenBBS 308 with a converter, not with cartridge system.
    If a pen takes a converter, it can be used with cartridges also. The PenBBS looks to use "International" cartridges/converters.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

    Hernan Cortes (July 6th, 2021)

  7. #25
    Junior Member Hernan Cortes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Thank you, I just ordered both the Sailor Compass 1911 and PenBBS 308, they look beautiful and reliable.
    Last edited by Hernan Cortes; July 6th, 2021 at 12:36 PM.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hernan Cortes For This Useful Post:

    Detman101 (July 7th, 2021)

  9. #26
    Senior Member Detman101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Lost...help.
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    1,395
    Thanked 536 Times in 269 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Congrats Mr. Cortes!
    Both great pens...though I would lean in favor of the Sailor Compass 1911
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

    Hernan Cortes (July 9th, 2021)

  11. #27
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    326
    Thanked 137 Times in 81 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    I replaced my clear Minimalistica with the Opus88 Demonstrator.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

    Detman101 (July 8th, 2021)

  13. #28
    Senior Member fountainpenkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nouvelle Angleterre
    Posts
    3,480
    Thanks
    3,086
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 515 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I replaced my clear Minimalistica with the Opus88 Demonstrator.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    How do they compare in build?
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

  14. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norwich UK
    Posts
    984
    Thanks
    1,982
    Thanked 672 Times in 373 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Indian pens may suit your budget and come with the possibility to eyedropper as well as use a cartridge or converter.

    ASA Pens in India has done some lovely demonstrators; ASA Galactica is one of my favourites but I'm not sure if it's still available, and I have a couple of the coloured translucent Nauka. And Fountain Pen Revolution has the Guider Zimbo at $100 or so: https://fr-fprevolutionusa.glopalsto...-fountain-pens which is a really lovely pen.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

    Hernan Cortes (July 9th, 2021)

  16. #30
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    326
    Thanked 137 Times in 81 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I replaced my clear Minimalistica with the Opus88 Demonstrator.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    How do they compare in build?
    Different. The Minimalistica has a thread-less cap while the Opus88 uses threads (which squeak... I'll likely add lube). The Opus is larger and can't post. Different approach to the cut off. Different shaped bodies and caps. One is an eyedropper filler (my preference) and one uses CONID's disengaging piston filler. So, there's plenty of differences. However, they're both great oversize clear writers that can be disassembled.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lloyd; July 8th, 2021 at 11:52 AM.
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

    fountainpenkid (July 8th, 2021), Hernan Cortes (July 9th, 2021), Yazeh (July 28th, 2021)

  18. #31
    Junior Member Hernan Cortes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Hello.
    I just recieved the PenBBS 308 and im going to fill it up with ink with an eye dropper or a syringe (im goonna use the latter since its what I have at home) because im curious about how it`ll look . However I have seen that I should apply silicone grease to the FP before adding the ink, is this important? Or is silicone grease optional?

    Thank you,
    HC.

  19. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 132 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    They sell the Pro Gear on Amazon for under $100.

    How did the Kakuno turn out for you? I have the clear one, it was one of my first pens…extra fine. I think that Pilot nibs, even on their affordable pens, are some of the best. I don’t use the Kakuno anymore, it’s an EF and I started liking broader nibs more…but I just bought my niece a Pilot Metropolitan with a fine nib, tested it when it arrived, and I think I will get one for myself! Pilot nibs write beautifully.

  20. #33
    Junior Member Hernan Cortes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernan Cortes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    The PenBBS 308 clear glass, would take a cartridge.
    Thank you but I only found the PenBBS 308 with a converter, not with cartridge system.
    If a pen takes a converter, it can be used with cartridges also. The PenBBS looks to use "International" cartridges/converters.


    Im trying to fit an international cartridge into the PenBBS and it doesnt fit, is there anything specific about this FP i need to remove to introduce the cartridge?

  21. #34
    Senior Member Malcolm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    227
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 99 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hernan Cortes View Post
    Hello.
    I just recieved the PenBBS 308 and im going to fill it up with ink with an eye dropper or a syringe (im goonna use the latter since its what I have at home) because im curious about how it`ll look . However I have seen that I should apply silicone grease to the FP before adding the ink, is this important? Or is silicone grease optional?

    Thank you,
    HC.
    Hi Hernan,

    I would, and do, use silicone grease on the threads, when using the 308 as an eye dropper. Helps seal the barrel.
    Malcolm

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Malcolm For This Useful Post:

    Hernan Cortes (July 21st, 2021)

  23. #35
    Senior Member blopplop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 76 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    For all practical purposes, Conid is pretty much a dead project. Shut down for almost 18 months is a bad sign. I wouldn't be looking for a new one anytime before Jesus comes back.

  24. #36
    Senior Member Malcolm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    227
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 99 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: I need advice on which see through FP to buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hernan Cortes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernan Cortes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    The PenBBS 308 clear glass, would take a cartridge.
    Thank you but I only found the PenBBS 308 with a converter, not with cartridge system.
    If a pen takes a converter, it can be used with cartridges also. The PenBBS looks to use "International" cartridges/converters.


    Im trying to fit an international cartridge into the Penbbs and it doesnt fit, is there anything specific about this FP i need to remove to introduce the cartridge?

    I've tried out a few cartridges, Hernan. The International size does not fit. Modern Parker cartridges fit, but the longer cartridges are a tad too long/thick at the end. So go with the shorter ones. Lamy cartridges fit fine.



    Penbbs 308 fitted with Lamy cartridge.
    Malcolm

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •