Thread: Grail - a perspective

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Grail - a perspective

Was mulling over the threads discussing grail pens - personal choices, what constitutes a grail pen, and so on - when I had a minor epiphany. I had kind of fallen for the concept of a grail being either expensive and/or rare and spent far too much time looking for something that would fit this concept and still appeal to me. Anyway, my thoughts on this have changed somewhat, and now I am waiting for that moment when I realise that I already have my grail pen in my hand.

Sounds a bit cryptic I guess, but let me explain. This grail pen does not have to be rare or expensive or even take an age to discover. It should be a pen that I want to write with, whenever I write anything, and that finds itself as a constant companion... that is, the innate feeling that this is 'my pen'. Not just because I own it, but because it fits, in all the ways that matter - size, balance, feel in the hand, how it facilitates the expression of my handwriting and my thoughts on paper, a general feeling of 'comfortableness' such as you would get (say) from a favourite pair of shoes or a nicely broken-in armchair. A sense, almost, of rightness.

Of course, I cannot go out and buy that pen specifically: dimensions, reviews and such do not get even remotely close to the actual feel of a pen in hand. So my search for a grail is not directed, other than having the assumption that there is a pen out there that will satisfy the criteria noted above. And I guess one could use this approach as a kind of justification to acquiring more pens!

The closest I've come to finding that pen, and it really is very close indeed, is with the Pilot Custom 912. Unfortunately, mine has the FA nib, which is not the most user-friendly daily driver. Perhaps I should explore this by getting another one with (say) a soft fine or FM nib?

I guess the problem with this though is the siren call of all the other shiny pens I haven't yet sampled! And perhaps that is the first obstacle to tackle.

Anyway, just a different perspective on what the term 'grail pen' means to me1.

TL : DR Not searching for a grail pen, but hope to recognise one when it's in my hand.

1. I shouldn't get attached to things, but as 20th century product of a Western 1st world country... well, habits are hard to break.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (July 6th, 2021), catbert (July 6th, 2021), fountainpenkid (July 6th, 2021), guyy (July 6th, 2021), Jon Szanto (July 7th, 2021), Malcolm (July 7th, 2021), rkesey (July 11th, 2021), welch (July 28th, 2021), Yazeh (July 7th, 2021)