Thread: Warning graphic photos to any pen lover

Thanks

Default Warning graphic photos to any pen lover

So today I went to uncap my Aurora this morning...
    (which is by far my favorite pen, it is perfect line width, always starts right away no matter the ink I've have which is only 8 plus the inks I got to sample doing mystery inks, and always writes smooth, a true joy to write with)

...and this tragedy happened.

I'm hoping I might be able to glue it back together so I have 4 pens again since it will be quite a while before I'm able to buy a new pen.

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Thanks

Default Re: Warning graphic photos to any pen lover

I can't help, but you have all my sympathy. That looks terrible. I hope your day gets better, fast.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,439 Times in 2,523 Posts

Was it glued before?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,498 Times in 4,013 Posts

It's very sad but I can't see it being glued and working. I see it's a C/C pen. Which Aurora model is that?

I think Fred might be right as it does look like it was glued before. (Something on the converter?)

I would hesitate to even try and glue it as you've already been fortunate enough for it to separate completely. You might end up with the glued part stuck in the barrel after any gluing attempt.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 7th, 2021 at 05:00 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't help
    Just want to offer my sympathy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    It's very sad but I can't see it being glued and working. I see it's a C/C pen. Which Aurora model is that?
    It looks like an Aurora Ipsilon, but I can't tell if it is the normal model (steel nib) or Deluxe (14k nib).

My understanding is that the nib and feed are friction fit....so if OP did manage to find another Ipsilon for sale with a nib that wasn't to his or her taste, a swap would be possible to put OP's existing nib in a new (and intact) section.

I appreciate my plan includes a big IF: if OP can find a cheap Ipsilon body.

Best I can do with a quick 'bay search is $60 for a yellow Ipsilon with a 14k nib. https://www.ebay.com/itm/28435917679...gAAOSwZ3hg2IE7

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Was it glued before?
    Sadly it was glued once close to 2 years ago, I was able to line it up perfect with a little notch in the break and I did get a tiny bit of glue on the converter, I've tried lining the threaded piece up to see if I can find exactly which way it goes and I can't find any good reference points, I kind of feel like what is it going to hurt if I try and it doesn't work then I'm still in the same boat.

It's just a sad thing to see a great pen finally have a catastrophic failure.

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Thanks
    Thanked 10,498 Times in 4,013 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post
    Was it glued before?
    Sadly it was glued once close to 2 years ago, I was able to line it up perfect with a little notch in the break and I did get a tiny bit of glue on the converter, I've tried lining the threaded piece up to see if I can find exactly which way it goes and I can't find any good reference points, I kind of feel like what is it going to hurt if I try and it doesn't work then I'm still in the same boat.

Thanks
    mreeveshp
    If all else fails then look at it this way: you've done really well to have it glued and working for almost two years.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Was it glued before?

Thanks
    mreeveshp
    If all else fails then look at it this way: you've done really well to have it glued and working for almost two years.
    That's very true. I was kind of surprised is lasted as long as it did. And I'm still debating on trying it again but I'm almost sure it isn't going to work but the only loss now will be a few drops of glue.

I do have 2 cross pens that were given to me a good while back but they have medium nibs and any time I write with them if I make a letter with a loop like a or o I end up with a big dot, even lamy with a fine nib is a little broader than I would like.

I'm hoping to sell some of my old emergency lights(as long as the person has a letter from their department saying that they are allowed to have them since I don't want a random person driving around with them), or sell something else I don't need to use to get a cheap fountain pen or 2 since right now I'm still out of work after having another knee surgery with no insurance, so all my bills are coming out of savings.

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

Not surprising that the section broke again when glued together. I've solvent welded a couple sections (which I consider to be stronger than glue), then sleeved them with brass to bridge the solvent weld, and epoxied the sleeve in place. But even that reinforcement wasn't enough to keep the section threads from breaking again.

There is a surprising amount of stress on a section as you write, especially if you tend to be heavy handed. Sometimes you can feel the section shifting slightly in a barrel, especially with slip fit sections.

You may be able to pick up a cheaper version of the pen with the steel nib, pull the nib and feed, insert the gold nib and use that in the pen.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

mreeveshp (July 7th, 2021), Yazeh (July 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Not surprising that the section broke again when glued together. I've solvent welded a couple sections (which I consider to be stronger than glue), then sleeved them with brass to bridge the solvent weld, and epoxied the sleeve in place. But even that reinforcement wasn't enough to keep the section threads from breaking again.

There is a surprising amount of stress on a section as you write, especially if you tend to be heavy handed. Sometimes you can feel the section shifting slightly in a barrel, especially with slip fit sections.

You may be able to pick up a cheaper version of the pen with the steel nib, pull the nib and feed, insert the gold nib and use that in the pen.
    I'm almost always light handed but I see what your saying about the stresses even light handed their is pressure, and since there is pressure on the nib and the barrel you are causing the middle right where the threads are to flex even the slightest amount over time is going to take its toll, then constantly capping and uncapping over and over is pushing and pulling right on the threads

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Thanks

Was it glued before?

Thanks
    mreeveshp
    Try mating the two pieces by turning them very, very slowly (in opposite directions) with your eyes closed. Strange as it may seem, you may be able to feel them 'fit' together.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Was it glued before?

Thanks
    mreeveshp
    Try mating the two pieces by turning them very, very slowly (in opposite directions) with your eyes closed. Strange as it may seem, you may be able to feel them 'fit' together.
    I tried something like that and couldn't feel a point at all, the first time when there was a tiny notch I couldn't get it until I kind of got frustrated and stopped looking at it. I think I'm going to keep trying but I don't have very good hopes of it staying together for long again. I'm probably going to try to get any of the old glue off here in a few then give it a go, might even look at both enda through a loop or use the macro camera on my phone to see if I can find any landmarks

Thanks
    mreeveshp
    Last edited by mreeveshp; July 7th, 2021 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks

Well I got her glued back together but it was in vain, no matter how I tried to line the threads up so they would be in line with the grip it was would be cock eyed a tiny bit and looking with my macro camera looks like some of the plastic is actually missing, it will let the converter go back in place and write but when putting the barrel on it has trouble starting to thread on since the threads are at a slight angle and no matter what I do the cap will not go on, the closest I can get to having the cap go back on is kind of a press fit it barely on which is putting a lot of stresses on the cap opening and if I continuously press fit it on its putting more pressure where is was just glued.

So I guess it's finally time to call it, it was such a great pen, gave many a journal entry, and most of my songs were wrote using that pen. Hopefully I'll be able to replace it with another fine or extra fine cheap pen.

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

There's a Ipsilon on Ebay with less than two days left, that's at $20 right now, and one below it that's $70. A good source for a new section. Trust me, you'd pay a heck of a lot more for a replacement nib unit.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.