Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black swan in English Roses

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Default Re: Black swan in English Roses

Thanks Jon, much appreciated.

It is possible that my sample was mislabeled. Or simply Nathan, changed the formula. If I recall well there were different iterations of the Aussie. I don't know about the English.

Here are my swabs side by side:

English - Australian.jpeg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 10th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Well, that highlights the differences, for certain. Most of my early use, and the buying of the stuff, was many years ago. I live off the 3 bottles of AU I still have. And I was around and aware when the formula changed, and then changed back, on the AU, due to a temporary loss of one of the dye components. I think it is likely that your bottle is properly labeled and that the formula for English has just gotten less brown at some point over the years.

I don't know if you are familiar with it, but if you like these two, the recent "reddit-created" Diamine ink named "Writer's Blood" is right in this neighborhood of colors/tones.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 11th, 2021), Yazeh (July 10th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Well, that highlights the differences, for certain. Most of my early use, and the buying of the stuff, was many years ago. I live off the 3 bottles of AU I still have. And I was around and aware when the formula changed, and then changed back, on the AU, due to a temporary loss of one of the dye components. I think it is likely that your bottle is properly labeled and that the formula for English has just gotten less brown at some point over the years.

I don't know if you are familiar with it, but if you like these two, the recent "reddit-created" Diamine ink named "Writer's Blood" is right in this neighborhood of colors/tones.
    Maybe Writer's Blood comes up a darker, more saturated shade of this type of red?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (July 11th, 2021)

Thanks

I had the night off so I looked for the remainder of the bottle of English Roses - success! Be aware that this ink is ~10 years old, as is the Aus. Roses. I did two very quick comparisons using those two inks and a newer, similar ink, Diamine "Writer's Blood", which was this years collaborative ink with the reddit fountain pen community.

The interesting thing is how similar the inks present in line/print (using a glass dip pen) and how different when swabbing. You can extrapolate for yourselves how the inks would play out with broader or flex nibs, as Yazeh has amply shown. I wasn't expecting a very big difference in viscosity with the Diamine, which is noticeably thicker (or flowed more), yielding more ink on the page and running out quicker. The first example is on a generic notepad paper purchased at a Daiso store, the 2nd on cream Tomoe River. No correction to the scans, etc, just a very quick comparison. The point, in my little brain, was "why do I remember ER as being so brownish?". I guess this is why, and how the formula may have changed over the years.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 12th, 2021), damfino (July 13th, 2021), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 11th, 2021), junglejim (July 12th, 2021), Malcolm (July 12th, 2021), Yazeh (July 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

That's how I remembered BSIAR and BSIER too. And reminds me why I didn't buy either of them.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Wow. Thanks Jon.
    The colours have changed so drastically.
    On the generic notebook they almost look identical. On TR Aussie is much darker, which isn't the case anymore.
    Ironically the swabs looks identical.
    The writer's blood swab, reminds me of nice burgundy wine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    On the generic notebook they almost look identical. On TR Aussie is much darker, which isn't the case anymore.
    Ironically the swabs looks identical.
    I always try to be as consistent as possible, but even using the glass dip pen, sometimes you lay down more ink on one pass than another. However, it does bring up an issue: I often see people posting samples of inks, relying primarily on a big swab. I, however, am not an artist and don't paint with my inks, I write with them! So the concept of showing what an ink looks like in a pen somewhat like what I'd write with is a lot more valuable. The swabs above show a remarkable difference in colors and shades, but the writing? Not so much. This can really impact whether I buy an ink based on "well, this is really different" when, in fact and in use, it looks a lot like others I have.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; July 12th, 2021 at 11:43 AM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (July 12th, 2021), Yazeh (July 12th, 2021)

Thanks

@Jon Szanto, so true. I often find swabs misleading, whether for inks or painting a room! IN the former one has to extrapolate to a writing a line in the latter to a whole room....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 12th, 2021), junglejim (July 12th, 2021)