Thread: l'Artisan Pastillier Callifolio Baikal blue black

Thanks

Default l'Artisan Pastillier Callifolio Baikal blue black

I had meant to post a review of Callifolio Baikal blue black but the small amount left dried up before i got to it. Fortunately, i sometimes record the pen and ink in my notebooks and there were a couple where i had used Baikal.

Here's a scribble written with Baikal on Tomoegawa paper and an MB 144G with a B nib.

Here's another written in the same notebook, with an MB 234 1/2 with a BB nib. This entry has nothing on the next page, so there's somewhat less visual distraction:

So that's what Baikal looks like.

As for its properties, its most notable quality outside of its appearance is that it is quite dry. I used it in vintage pens with generous feeds and some other feature that made me hesitant to use iron gall inks, most often MB piston fillers. Both pens used in the samples above have the simple late 1940s-early 1950s feeds and are quite wet writers.

Drying time was a little higher than average for me. However, this may have been more due to the paper and pens used. I would expect it to be average in a modern pen on more absorbent paper.

There's some shading, especially with the BB, but it's more apparent in a photo than it is to my naked eye. It's pretty dark to begin with, making subtle differences in shade difficult to pick up.

Is it waterproof? I don't know. Probably not.

It's worth noting that the pictures were taken about a year after writing. There has been no noticeable fading in that span. Mind you, i keep my notebooks closed except when i'm using them.

I like this ink. It's easy to read, provides a high contrast with the paper while still being easy on the eyes. It also works well in vintage pens. It's also reasonably priced if you get it in the 50ml pouch and empty it into your own bottle.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (July 9th, 2021), Chrissy (July 10th, 2021), junglejim (July 10th, 2021), VerticalTwin (July 10th, 2021), Yazeh (July 9th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Default Re: l'Artisan Pastillier Callifolio Baikal blue black

Thanks Guyy for your review. Your handwriting with the fine nib, is exceptionally elegant. If I didn't know better I would've thought it was a snapshot from a vintage letter. It elevates the ink....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

guyy (July 9th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Wow, I am a fan of Callifolio inks, but my attention was drawn more to your handwriting... it's expressive with excellent use of italic/stub nib.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

guyy (July 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Aw shucks, you guys are too kind. My handwriting is illegible with bps, pencils and many round tipped fps.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

Sometimes, a written sample with some comments is way more useful than a complicated review.

Like so many of the Callifolio range, I'm very fond of Baikal, I love the vintage look and feel of it, and find it particularly appropriate for older, pens - the slight dryness is excellent in the grand old lady eyedroppers I'm fond of.

I'm always interested by how many of us have multiple hands, with common letter formations running through them.

Thank you

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (July 11th, 2021), guyy (July 9th, 2021), Yazeh (July 9th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Aw shucks, you guys are too kind. My handwriting is illegible with bps, pencils and many round tipped fps.
    Funny you said that.

Whenever I get an old nib that writes like a blobby Medium or Broad, I'm just itching to make a stub or italic out of it.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Funny you said that.

Whenever I get an old nib that writes like a blobby Medium or Broad, I'm just itching to make a stub or italic out of it.
    I have the same urge: I’ve given a few modern pens italic/stub grinds.

Thanks

guyy,
    Nice Blue/Black ink.... first pic almost looks close to Herbin Bleu Des Profondeurs. 2nd pic...Diamine Denim.
    Thanks for posting. I love Blue/Blacks. searching for that perfect B/B ink.
    Cheers,
    VT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VerticalTwin View Post
    guyy,
    Nice Blue/Black ink.... first pic almost looks close to Herbin Bleu Des Profondeurs. 2nd pic...Diamine Denim.
    Thanks for posting. I love Blue/Blacks. searching for that perfect B/B ink.
    Cheers,
    VT
    I think it’s a little more towards the black side of blue black than bleu des profondeurs. I like it that way, but at times it’s maybe too dark to get good shading.

Me too; I am still looking for that perfect non-IG blue black. There are fewer iron gall blue blacks and my favorite (MB BB) is gone, so i take what i can get.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 697 Posts

Thank you for taking time to do this review.

I am a fan of Callifolio inks, but I must say that Baikal is not one of my favorites. It leans toward the dry side, and on some papers it seems to me to look chalky.

Thanks

Cool Re: l'Artisan Pastillier Callifolio Baikal blue black

Would you say it is closer to Diamine 1864 Blue Black? Now that is the darkest BB that I have pen and inked pages. My problem with most inks, is it bleeds through Leuchtturm1917 A5 notebook paper real bad. I have to stick with TomoeRiver Notebooks when I use most Diamine and Pilot inks. Not too sure how the Callifolio Baikal would fair any different?

The IG blue black that I am using is relegated to one of my two Noodler's Ahab Flex pens which I possess. This ink is Diamine Archival Registrar's Ink in BB. And by the way, I love that colour. It writes wet almost Dark Royal Blue which then darkens as it dries. And it doesn't bleed through.
    Great colour but I am not using in my more expensive MB, Pelikan 600 or my Pilot pens.
    Cheers,
    VT.
    Last edited by VerticalTwin; July 16th, 2021 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VerticalTwin View Post
    Would you say it is closer to Diamine 1864 Blue Black? Now that is the darkest BB that I have pen and inked pages. My problem with most inks, is it bleeds through Leuchtturm1917 A5 notebook paper real bad. I have to stick with TomoeRiver Notebooks when I use most Diamine and Pilot inks. Not too sure how the Callifolio Baikal would fair any different?

The IG blue black that I am using is relegated to one of my two Noodler's Ahab Flex pens which I possess. This ink is Diamine Archival Registrar's Ink in BB. And by the way, I love that colour. It writes wet almost Dark Royal Blue which then darkens as it dries. And it doesn't bleed through.
    Great colour but I am not using in my more expensive MB, Pelikan 600 or my Pilot pens.
    Cheers,
    VT.
    I’m not too familiar with Diamine inks. Having only used a couple, i can’t compare.

Baikal and other Callifolio inks are less saturated and more muted. I haven’t had a problem with bleed through with Baikal. I do use better papers nearly all the time. Baikal is on the dry side and quite well behaved. The pens used here are vintage MBs with ski slope ebonite feeds, in other words, very wet writing.

I use IG inks in Pelikans and MBs often. With Pelikans, you can always unscrew the nib unit if anything goes wrong.