Thread: My inherited collection

Thanks

Default My inherited collection

I'm a new member
    I just inherited these fountain pens. Most work, but I do not know if there are any that are worth anything. I would like some advice on my fountain pens.
    Regards
    Kolding
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default Re: My inherited collection

There are some good pens here, but you won't be able to retire off anything you make selling them.

My advice: get some ink and enjoy them. I would start with a blue ink from Parker, Waterman, Lamy, Pelikan or Montblanc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    There are some good pens here, but you won't be able to retire off anything you make selling them.

My advice: get some ink and enjoy them. I would start with a blue ink from Parker, Waterman, Lamy, Pelikan or Montblanc.
    Thank you very much - I do not want to sell them. But would like to be made aware if there is a single one that deserves my attention - and therefore to be used on a daily basis.
    /Kolding

Thanks

I rather like the Parker 51 in black with the lustraloy cap. That is the pen in the box. Black pens aren't as popular among collectors (although there are some like me who prefer them). The 51 is a reliable pen that stands up to regular use. You also have some that appear to be made in England Parker Duofolds. These are also nice writers and are generally reliable. I think you have a Parker 45 and a 61 as well. Nice pens which you can use everyday. The 45 is a cartridge filler, so you would need Parker or Aurora cartridges, a Parker converter or to refill an empty Parker cartridge if you have one. The later 61s are also cartridge fillers. The earlier ones are capillary fillers, which are a bit unusual, but not too hard to clean up if you have to. I'm not enough of a 61 expert to date them without looking inside the pen. Be aware that Parker metal caps pick up dings fairly easily. I would invest in a pen case if you decide to use those.

The reddish flat top pen is the original Duofold, from the 1920s or 1930s. I think yours is the junior size. It will likely need some attention. I would suggest sending that one out for repair if it's not functioning because it's easy to break Duofolds even if you know what you're doing. I think i see a Parker Vacumatic in there, too, and that will also likely need servicing. The repair requires specialized tools that you are unlikely to have.

I know nothing about the Cross pens and there some others i don't recognize.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Thus will go many member's collections days, weeks, months, and perhaps years from now. Stuff will be inherited and.......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Start with the ones with arrow-shaped clips. those are (usually) Parkers.

Some cool German-looking pens in there also.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Looks like some Parker 45s there, and maybe a Sailor? Center top?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

It looks like a nice collection.

It looks theres's a mixture of vintage and modern pens.

I don't know how aware you are of fountain pens, but you have some different filling systems. Some pens will need different types of cartridges - Cross, Waterman. Parker and Platinum(?) all take different ones and will different types of convertors (I learnt this the hard way), some will need bottles of ink and some of the older ones (like orange one, which might be a vintage Parker ) are not meant to be taken apart to be filled. Trying to unscrew the barrel from the section can damage the pen. Don't force anything. If something isn't moving it is probably not meant come apart.

Montblancs can be slip caps (older ones) or screw caps (newer ones) so go easy.

You can dip the nibs into a bottle of ink and write with them. That would be a quick way you get started, and work out where to begin.

If you are not sure of anything, you can post some pictures of the pen here and ask. I'm sure someone can give you an answer.

Thanks

Oh, yeah - and welcome to the forum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I was thinking the exact same regarding the Sailor. There also seems to be a Rotring (10th pen down same row). The Parker 51 set and Duofold are very nice.

Depending on how long they've been unused and how they were left would dictate the next steps.

If it weren't for the damn pandemic, I'd suggest you try find a pen club nearby. Lots of friendly, helpful folks in every club I've been to.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

There's enough there to create a new fountain pen fan!

Thanks

That's a great collection. I'd ask about individual or smaller groups of pens, with closer-up photos, for positive IDing.

Malcolm

Thanks

As Malcolm said, if you show individual photos of each pen, along with a closeup pf the nib, we might be able to identify them.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Depending on location I wonder if it might soon be possible to take them to a FP show and find an expert there who can identify and value them? Maybe even make an offer to buy some if OP wants to sell any?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I was thinking the exact same regarding the Sailor. There also seems to be a Rotring (10th pen down same row). The Parker 51 set and Duofold are very nice.

Depending on how long they've been unused and how they were left would dictate the next steps.

If it weren't for the damn pandemic, I'd suggest you try find a pen club nearby. Lots of friendly, helpful folks in every club I've been to.
    Thank you very much for all the answers. I use some of the new fountain pens - but what do I do with the others? I want to save them in a safe way. I have emptied a couple of fountain pens and rinsed them through with water - put them to dry and reassembled the parts again. Is that the right thing to do?
    I am from Denmark

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kolding View Post
    Thank you very much for all the answers. I use some of the new fountain pens - but what do I do with the others? I want to save them in a safe way. I have emptied a couple of fountain pens and rinsed them through with water - put them to dry and reassembled the parts again. Is that the right thing to do?
    I am from Denmark
    That was the right first step
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Yes, if there are fountain pens you are unlikely to use for a while (more than a month or so) then the best thing to do is clean the ink out of them, leave them to dry and put them away somewhere out of direct sunlight.

You should keep the older celluloid pens seperately, as the material can give off gasses which can discolour/corrode(?) other pens over time.