Thread: Waterman Key hole NO 4 Nib.

Thanks

Default Waterman Key hole NO 4 Nib.

waterman k-Hole.jpg

I know perhaps you must be having these nib as a stock nib on your waterman.

-Brown Key hole
    -purple Key hole
    -pink Key hole
    - Blue Key hole Etc , Etc.
    But there are Just plane key hole Nibs marked as Ideal / Canada / New York/ England
    I have found one and I am attaching a photo. It looks a general nib. But has a slight crack.
    ( If I get this nib I am going to a Jeweller to get it mended by Electric welding )

Anyone have any idea what.s the quality and characteristic in those nibs ?
    Last edited by Cyril; July 14th, 2021 at 07:14 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (July 14th, 2021), Seattleite (July 18th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Default Re: Waterman Key hole NO 4 Nib.

I like key hole nibs. I have a few in sizes 5 and 7 but this is the first 4 I have seen. The #7 has a range of colours associated with it ranging from quite stiff (brown) to quite flexible (pink). I don't know how that relates to the smaller #4 though.

Thanks

I have never seen a No 4 marked keyhole either, though I have seen unmarked (as to size), keyhole nibs on #94 pens. I have seen Keyhole nibs with/without color codes and numbers, but never a 4. Very nice. What really caught my eye is the crack on your nib. It is right where you would expect one to propagate from. I think that what is strange is that I have only seen a few Keyhole nibs crack in this way over the years. This says a lot about Waterman's metallurgy and processing.

Waterman's really made fantastic nibs back in the day.

Bob

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (July 18th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    I like key hole nibs. I have a few in sizes 5 and 7 but this is the first 4 I have seen. The #7 has a range of colours associated with it ranging from quite stiff (brown) to quite flexible (pink). I don't know how that relates to the smaller #4 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
    I have never seen a No 4 marked keyhole either, though I have seen unmarked (as to size), keyhole nibs on #94 pens. I have seen Keyhole nibs with/without color codes and numbers, but never a 4. Very nice. What really caught my eye is the crack on your nib. It is right where you would expect one to propagate from. I think that what is strange is that I have only seen a few Keyhole nibs crack in this way over the years. This says a lot about Waterman's metallurgy and processing.

Waterman's really made fantastic nibs back in the day.

Bob
    Thank you both for the answers,
    I am guessing this nib is still usable and think it is a good nib to try although it is a rare find from Waterman.
    Also I am expecting to find some one ( jeweller) to fix the crack which is just apperaring. Thanks for the answers here and your share.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post

Thank you both for the answers,
    I am guessing this nib is still usable and think it is a good nib to try although it is a rare find from Waterman.
    Also I am expecting to find some one ( jeweller) to fix the crack which is just apperaring. Thanks for the answers here and your share.
    I am quite impressed with what can be done with laser spot welders these days and I am sure there is a way to do it. I do hope you can get that crack repaired.

Thanks

Finally I have decided not to get this nib as it will be more costly and unwanted extra repair cost. I have returned this nib to the seller.