Thread: FS: Full set Montblanc Hemingway Fountain Pen

Thanks

Default FS: Full set Montblanc Hemingway Fountain Pen

Full set Montblanc Hemingway Fountain Pen with original outer/inner box and both booklets.

I will also add a dark brown Montblanc single pen holder to match the dark brown cap of the pen! And an unused bottle of Montblanc's orange Ink of Joy to match the beautiful coral body of the pen!

A rare pen nowadays with lots of goodies!!!

$3000 OBO

Emails @ Podiumlaser@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Poddy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (131.5 KB, 302 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (50.0 KB, 297 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (70.8 KB, 303 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (93.0 KB, 295 views)

Thanks

Default Re: FS: Full set Montblanc Hemingway Fountain Pen

Would help if you can mention whether the pen is used or unused.
    Last edited by Dhruv; July 14th, 2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Nib width is on the box.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,953 Times in 3,327 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Brian View Post
    So this fabulous pen sold originally for $600, and you are asking $3,000?
    Dude, whether we like it or not, this is one of the most collectible of modern fountain pens, and it isn't just the pen but the entire sales set. It may not be a sumgai but not out of line. Most recent sale on eBay, for just the pen, 3 weeks ago, was $2,900.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (July 15th, 2021), Chrissy (July 15th, 2021), guyy (July 14th, 2021)

Thanks

Beautiful piece!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Dude, whether we like it or not, this is one of the most collectible of modern fountain pens, and it isn't just the pen but the entire sales set. It may not be a sumgai but not out of line. Most recent sale on eBay, for just the pen, 3 weeks ago, was $2,900.
    Great reply to "reallly?? you said that ... in public " comment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I have watched pens priced very high on EBay, and more times than not they fail to sell, and get listed time after time! Guess you liked my question lets hope somebody likes your asking price.
    Only this is close to the going rate, so it's not priced "very high." It's just an expensive pen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 14th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,753 Times in 2,746 Posts

I have watched pens priced very high on EBay, and more times than not they fail to sell, and get listed time after time! Guess you liked my question lets hope somebody likes your asking price.
    It's totally inappropriate to question sellers' prices on For Sale items. If you don't want to buy it at the price the seller wants to sell it for then this thread isn't the place for you.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (July 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Sorry, nothing personal, but disagree. If the buyer is scalping and preying on buyers ignorance, they should be called out on it, so buyers can make a more informed decision.

This doesn't seem to be the case here, though, but some members do this, then bump their threads daily for months on end. Imagine what this forum would look like if enough people did that.

Anyway, the pen is gorgeous. It skyrocketed in price, it seems, but that's not unusual.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

NobleSixSeven (July 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    Sorry, nothing personal, but disagree. If the buyer is scalping and preying on buyers ignorance, they should be called out on it, so buyers can make a more informed decision.

This doesn't seem to be the case here, though, but some members do this, then bump their threads daily for months on end. Imagine what this forum would look like if enough people did that.

Anyway, the pen is gorgeous. It skyrocketed in price, it seems, but that's not unusual.
    I can agree and disagree. Perhaps it would be better to wait until a seller posts and then moves to bump over and over before calling them out. Not on their first posting. Especially when the calling out comes from someone who hasn't done their homework.

This is not in any way a price that is gouging for this set. I personally have seen these Hemingways in a mint state shrink wrapped set go for $5600.00 16 years ago, so yes they are rare, not so much in number, but in the sense that owners are had pressed to part with them and the prices can fluctuate radically.

I personally own 3 Hemingway FP sets and 1 Hemingway BP set. The reason....? They are all mint or near mint in every way and the FPs are examples with the different factory nibs offered. Also, keep in mind that often, the Hemingways have a characteristic where the gold plating on the clip begins to exhibit pre sub-separation from the base metal. The clip will show what appears to be a bubbling or something that looks like small water droplets / speckling that have dried on the gold. This is actually something that happens when the gold plating reacts to the atmosphere in which it is stored. They don't like high humidity or salt in the air as would be in coastal regions.

These pens will eventually reach prices that will be far above where they are today. Not sure it will be in my lifetime, but surely my children's or grandchildren's lifetimes.

I truly enjoy the Hemingways. They are only one of two pens that are based on the ever infamous 139, the other being the Dumas, which is really quite different when it comes to the furniture on it. But the Hemingway is accurately based on the 139.

Sorry to ramble...

Photo courtesy Pinterest and Flickr.

Last edited by Bisquitlips; July 15th, 2021 at 10:45 AM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

damfino (July 17th, 2021), Jon Szanto (July 15th, 2021), pmcar (July 15th, 2021), silverlifter (July 15th, 2021), tadamonoron (July 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post

This so fuzzy ... coz we dont who is scalping or not.

For example, there is a user who is notorious for buying pens for cheap from other users (on this forum!! and on other forums like VPS) and then relisting them here for higher prices while shamelessly claiming it is "cheaper than eBay". He has done that for Nakayas a lot, and of late for other pens (and there are other users who can attest, in case anyone is wondering). That is just worse than scalping, just plain cheap and should be called out ... but that's my personal opinion.

But sometimes folks dont know the right price -- just use eBay to price a pen without knowing much.

I like the suggestion on pointing out the pricing issue after repeated "bumps"

Hard problem

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post

I truly enjoy the Hemingways. They are only one of two pens that are based on the ever infamous 139, the other being the Dumas, which is really quite different when it comes to the furniture on it. But the Hemingway is accurately based on the 139.

There is a third pen from the year 2000 that uses the 139-style platform. It is the Year of the Golden Dragon. In fact, it is the closest to a 139 in that it is black and gold. The clip is ... let's say not subtle... but it can be replaced along with the nib in order to make a modern MB 139 style pen.

Anyway, to the OP the price is fair even without the extras.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zaddick For This Useful Post:

guyy (July 15th, 2021), silverlifter (July 15th, 2021)

Thanks

1992: Gold per ounce $350. Gold per ounce today: $1,800. If you bought gold in 1992, when the Hemingway was introduced, would you sell me an ounce today for $350?
    Curious how close the price increase is as a percentage. Don't think all LE's are as profitable.

Thanks

This discussion really is moot. The OP posted the photos with the original price clearly visible. There was no intent to obfuscate that fact. Everyone had the information they needed to make an informed decision about whether or not they were prepared to pay the asking price. Calling them out was really just a display of ignorance.

OP should open a new For Sale thread in which prospective and knowledgeable buyers don't have to wade through all of this (which I have now incremented by one, I know). Possibly with a link back to this if anyone wants to see some of the dialogue about the pen's modern day value...
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (July 15th, 2021), Bisquitlips (July 15th, 2021), Jon Szanto (July 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tadamonoron View Post
    It's fuzzy a little bit, but obviously not that much, since I'm pretty confident we have the exact same member in mind. I hate that kind of behaviour. The person barely, if ever, engadges with the community. It's basically his own little stock market, just items to make money on, not to collect, discuss or even care about. Once again, I am not talking about the OP of this thread, just to be completely clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    No need to apologize, especially when rambling is so informational! Thank you, I learned something new. Just to reiterate: yes, I understand the price of the pen in this thread is fair.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (July 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Sent you a pm.

Thanks

Fascinating pen. I didnít know it was based on the 139. Certainly a grail pen to add to my list of way future endeavors. Iíve seen the Hemingway go for $2500 to $3000 regularly. The ink window on the 139 is even more impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,753 Times in 2,746 Posts

I would have liked the chance to have bought the bottle of ink if it had been for sale separately.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens