Thread: I picked up two sheaffer pens and can not get the section off one

Thanks

Default I picked up two sheaffer pens and can not get the section off one

How do you loosen a section from a pen? I have it soaking in warm soapy water. not hot just warm. Any tips? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Default Re: I picked up two sheaffer pens and can not get the section off one

What pen is it?

Thanks

Its the bottom pen.DSC05910.JPGDSC05911.JPG

Thanks

I got the section off. I used a set of spark plug players and it came off hard but its off.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I would consider yourself lucky, since when they are that hard you can often crack the barrel, one of the worst places to make a crack. I usually do not soak in water, especially since many pens made the section from hard rubber and it can discolor badly in very little time in water. Most repair people use dry heat to slowly warm the barrel right at the section. You have to be very patient and warm it and try wiggling out the section, repeating if it doesn't budge. Never warm the barrel hotter than you can touch it to your lip somewhat comfortably. I often try for a while and if it doesn't budge, put it aside for the next day. I've had some go for a few days before letting go like magic - you are trying to warm and loosen any shellac that might be holding it, and warming celluloid (barrel) that may have shrunk.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

eachan (July 19th, 2021), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 19th, 2021), jar (July 19th, 2021)

Thanks

I have a box of pens for repair that have been 'difficult' and will generally spend an afternoon with a hairdryer trying them all in turn. Sometimes the pen has a screw-in section, sometimes it is friction fit, so wiggling very gently in all directions is the right way to go.

I don't generally use pliers. I wear latex gloves which give me a little bit more traction. Also when I'm wiggling, with my bare hands I've found there is a certain feeling when you get that first tiny 'give', and it often means you are really nearly there and just need to be cautiously insistent - also you get a feel for which movement is giving you the most traction.

I had one Parker Duofold that was in the 'difficult' box for a year, and then one afternoon - pop! out it came.

By the way, if you have red or yellow ebonite pens, be very very careful, they are the most fragile.