Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Montblanc USA Fort Worth Repair Center now CLOSED.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc USA Fort Worth Repair Center now CLOSED.

Quote Originally Posted by agpatel View Post
    I have sent my new 1912 in to get the nib changed and has been a fairly bad experience thus far. Pen received and quote for $225 provided, called and said this should be free of charge as its within 6 weeks of purchase from an AD - have been getting the run around for a week on them trying to fix it or talking to the 'Montblanc Department'. If it continues, I may just suck it up and pay the free so I dont have to wait months for the nib change.
    That is really poor. I would be emailing someone in Montblanc to sort it out.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 25th, 2021), guyy (August 25th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (August 25th, 2021)

Thanks

I have sent my new 1912 in to get the nib changed and has been a fairly bad experience thus far. Pen received and quote for $225 provided, called and said this should be free of charge as its within 6 weeks of purchase from an AD - have been getting the run around for a week on them trying to fix it or talking to the 'Montblanc Department'. If it continues, I may just suck it up and pay the free so I dont have to wait months for the nib change.
    Geez that is frustrating and I certainly would not want to purchase a brand new pen and then have to immediately send it away for service to get a different sized nib. This would cause me not to make the purchase in the first place. Sorry to hear they are giving you grief, keep us informed of progress please as it may be helpful to others in the future.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richmadeknives For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 31st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmadeknives View Post
    Geez that is frustrating and I certainly would not want to purchase a brand new pen and then have to immediately send it away for service to get a different sized nib. This would cause me not to make the purchase in the first place. Sorry to hear they are giving you grief, keep us informed of progress please as it may be helpful to others in the future.
    Typically I do not like to, but 1912 were hard to find for a decent price and found an AD in Ireland that had one for a good price especially without paying VAT but only in M. I knew it was going to take 6-8wks to get a new nib from Hamburg as that is what it took last year for my Ultra Black 146 that is out of production. But it seems like after a call today they "approved" the repair free of charge but have no idea when it will be done.

Thanks

Well to close out my repair experience. I received the Mark Twain WE back yesterday via UPS 2nd day air. Came well packaged and wrapped in plenty of foam. They definitely cleaned out all the dried up ink as the nib and feed looked like new. I inked up and tested out the writing experience. Unfortunately it still has pretty much the same/similar hard starting issue. The best way to describe the problem is that went writing a top to bottom vertical line the ink won't start until part way down the stroke. This only happens occasionally and once you get started writing it pretty much goes away. The issues does seem to be much improved as it was happening way more often before service whereas now it's only happening occasionally. This is not an issue with any of my other MB fountain pens. I will be attending the Colorado Pen Show next month and hopefully I can get a nib tuning at the show and eliminate this issue completely... Any other suggestions on this issue would be appreciated.

Last edited by richmadeknives; August 27th, 2021 at 10:31 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richmadeknives For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 31st, 2021), Chrissy (August 27th, 2021), junglejim (August 27th, 2021)

Thanks

1) Try a different ink.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    1) Try a different ink.
    Thank you for the suggestion, I have already tried several different inks. That did not solve the issue (annoyance).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 426 Posts

Thanks for the update!

1) Flush the pen several times with a solution of water mixed with 1 drop of Dawn dishwashing liquid.
    2) Rinse the pen out twice only with clean water. You want a light residue of the surfactants in the pen.
    3) Fill with ink, then expell three drops from the fill.
    4) Go ahead and write test your pen. See if that helps.

That's a nice looking pen!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 31st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Thanks for the update!

1) Flush the pen several times with a solution of water mixed with 1 drop of Dawn dishwashing liquid.
    2) Rinse the pen out twice only with clean water. You want a light residue of the surfactants in the pen.

Thank you Jim - I will try that!!

Thanks

The Mark Twain is one of my all time favourite lookers from the Writers Editions. It is a gorgeous pen Rich. You have good taste.
    Hope you get it writing well soon.

Thanks

Thanks for the update!

Thank you for the advice Jim. I ended up flushing the pen with clean water several times, then one fill/flush with the dawn/water solution, then immediately filling with ink. This helped a lot and now the hard start issue I was describing is all but gone!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richmadeknives For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 31st, 2021), junglejim (September 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks for the update!

Thank you for the advice Jim. I ended up flushing the pen with clean water several times, then one fill/flush with the dawn/water solution, then immediately filling with ink. This helped a lot and now the hard start issue I was describing is all but gone!
    It's always good to hear about a success story. Enjoy your Twain. I cleaned mine out the other day and just held it and looked at it for a while. I wish it had a M nib because then I would use it more often.

Thanks

It's always good to hear about a success story. Enjoy your Twain. I cleaned mine out the other day and just held it and looked at it for a while. I wish it had a M nib because then I would use it more often.
    I think mine has a Broad nib which I really like, what nib do you wish yours had?

Thanks

I think mine has a Broad nib which I really like, what nib do you wish yours had?
    It has a F nib. I wish it had a M or a B instead. However, when I bought it I always used F nibs now my hands and fingers don't like them so much. It still has it's F sticker on the piston cone.

Thanks

It has a F nib. I wish it had a M or a B instead. However, when I bought it I always used F nibs now my hands and fingers don't like them so much. It still has it's F sticker on the piston cone.
    Yeah I definitely can see not liking a fine nib. 3 of my other Montblanc have medium nibs and they are scratchy and the lines are too small. I definitely tend to prefer the thicker lines. I have 2 Montblanc's with broad nibs and one is a bit to wide for my preference because it has a straighter cut on the tip, while this Twain has a broad nib with a more rounded tip.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to richmadeknives For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Well after exactly one month I received an email from the Master Technician at MyJewelryRepair saying that "This instrument must go to Germany for service. To send to Germany there is a non-refundable $100.00 processing/handling/customs fee. An evaluation will be performed in Germany, and if the instrument can be repaired, a quote will be provided. Once the instrument is returned to the US, shipping charges will be imposed to return to your facility as normal. There is no ETA due to the availability of parts, uniqueness of vintage, limited and special edition instruments."

The funny thing is in the 'Notes Section' when I initially filled out the repair form I noted that this pen would have to be sent to MB in Hamburg since it was only produced for one year, in 2002. Apparently it was either in queue for a month, or the lady I spoke to on the phone (Diana) back on 24 August fibbed about the repair waiting for parts from Germany. The wait continues...
    Last edited by junglejim; September 4th, 2021 at 02:17 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

guyy (September 5th, 2021)

Thanks

I am really saddened and shocked to hear this information about the $100 non-refundable processing/handling/customs fee.

Just as some additional information I was made aware only last week that there is no customs fee to return a similar instrument to Germany for service. It was not Montblanc who made me aware but Lamy. I emailed someone from Lamy who has swapped out a nib on a Lamy 2000 for me in the past and wanted to know if I may be able to have the same work done again. I was advised to send it with a copy of our email and ensure the Customs Form was clearly marked with the words "Item returned for repair - No Trade Goods." That is to ensure it would not be assessed for any fees by German Customs.

Although my pen sat awaiting a pre-customs check for several days it is now on it's way to Lamy. It left the UK on 25th August.

Whatever MyJewelleryRepair are charging you that $100 for, an item being returned to the manufacturer for parts/repair does not legally attract an import Customs fee. It has never needed one before and it doesn't need one now. I'm glad I don't have to deal with them. I would have lost patience by now.
    Last edited by Chrissy; September 5th, 2021 at 01:05 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

guyy (September 5th, 2021), TSherbs (September 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Jeez, that stinks, Jim. Sorry.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

It's not just the expense, but more that sinking feeling of being taken advantage of...of being taken for granted.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 6th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 5th, 2021), Stands on Feet (November 20th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    It's not just the expense, but more that sinking feeling of being taken advantage of...of being taken for granted.
    Yes I agree it is. If it was me I would make a strong complaint to Montblanc about MyJewelleryRepair. If they start to receive many complaints about them then surely they will take action?

Whatever happened to the Montblanc three service levels? It looks like MyJewelleryRepair are running roughshod over that and acting as a money grasping service. I bet Texas service centre didn't do that.

(It's very easy to find the name of the CEO of Montblanc and the email format to use is "first initial.surname@montblanc.de" (clue: his surname is Baretzki)
    Last edited by Chrissy; September 5th, 2021 at 10:13 AM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

guyy (September 5th, 2021), junglejim (September 5th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 5th, 2021)

Thanks

Thank-you for this very useful information, Chrissy!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 5th, 2021)