Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Chinese pens you used today.

Thanks

Default Re: What Chinese pens you used today.

I finally got my Jinhao 599 to work. I haven't had a problem with others, but this Coral one I bought by itself just was not writing. I used the converter and inked with Noodler's Baystate Concord Grape and it looks like it is coming to life. I will keep this pen inked with very wet ink and see what happens - I am afraid to tinker with the nib and feed just yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sagehen View Post
    I finally got my Jinhao 599 to work. I haven't had a problem with others, but this Coral one I bought by itself just was not writing. I used the converter and inked with Noodler's Baystate Concord Grape and it looks like it is coming to life. I will keep this pen inked with very wet ink and see what happens - I am afraid to tinker with the nib and feed just yet.
    If you're going to buy cheap Chinese pens, you should probably learn to tweak the nibs. It really isn't that hard and there are instructions on the web. A good magnifier helps. The 599 is a good one to practice on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Parsimonious View Post
    If you're going to buy cheap Chinese pens, you should probably learn to tweak the nibs. It really isn't that hard and there are instructions on the web. A good magnifier helps. The 599 is a good one to practice on.
    Thank you - I am just learning about all the info/community in this area. I don't anticipate buying any more but I bought this one to match another pen and I hoped it would work like another I had gotten. I will look for some videos and take a stab at it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Parsimonious View Post
    Thank you - I am just learning about all the info/community in this area. I don't anticipate buying any more but I bought this one to match another pen and I hoped it would work like another I had gotten. I will look for some videos and take a stab at it.
    You can also find spare nibs at incredibly low prices, so you can get creative with the tweaking/tuning.

Thanks

I have a rainbow of inks in random pens today, five of seven are of Chinese. Reddish Ooly Color Write with included cartridge, Orange Penguin school pen (no brand) with ink eraser on the other end inked with included cartridge, Yellow Five Below pen with proprietary yellow ink, Five Below 1.1 stub nib with Waterman Serenity Blue, and Hero 240 with Diamine Imperial Purple.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Recently I got two Jinhao 80 pens. You know… the ones 'emulating' a Lamy 2000. One is brown and refuses to work with its converter, but seems perfectly happy when a PARKER cartridge is loaded with Chesterfield Mahogany. The newer green one works with its converter and Monteverde Olivine.

Both write with a smooth fine line and I can't stop playing with either.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I bought a Wing Sung 3013 Vac Filler with F nib. It's amazing that you can get one of these delivered for $6. I got it as a comparison with the original 1907 Onoto Vac filler. I got the purple one and filled it with Akkermans Simplistes Violet. I am surprised at how much I like it.wingsung3013.jpg

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 18th, 2022), Robalone (April 10th, 2023)

Thanks

I've been using my Narwhal Nautilus in Bronze Corydoras. Well made, very good function and finish, but the M nib is a bit too wide for me. I will be replacing it with an after market F nib.
    Last edited by stevekolt; November 18th, 2022 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks

I use a Vanishing Point clone. Absolutely love it. Red with a fine nib. I do have a couple of real VP’s as well, but the differences are marginal in my opinion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LightningXP693 For This Useful Post:

Robalone (April 10th, 2023)

Thanks

I used to use fairly small pens. My EDC was an Esterbrook SJ. But I had some medical treatment that resulted in a lot of swelling and arthritis, so I have started to look at larger thicker pens. These Jinhao 159s are the largest I can reasonably find right now. I have 2 159 and 2 x159 inked on my desk. From left to right:

Brown/red x159 F D'Atrementis Magenta.
    Yellow 159 M Akkerman Oranje Boven
    Red 159 F Edelstein Star Ruby
    Black x159 F Pelikan 4001 Black

I like the x159 a lot. I got on with them right away. The red/brown x159 does not have quite the same feel on paper as the black one, which is more likely down to the ink, than manufacturing or quality control. I am going to try different inks in it and I have ordered one with an EF nib for comparison. The black one is nice in the hand, fits well, and is smooth on paper. My only problem with it is the number of turns required to remove the cap. The red and yellow 159 are much more sensible when it comes to twisting the cap off.
    The yellow 159 feels nice in the hand and smooth, but I now find it a bit too broad.

jinhaouse.jpg

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 9th, 2023), Cyril (July 17th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (September 1st, 2023)

Thanks

I’m using a Chren Stress Reliever fountain pen tbat is really nice for the hand cramping and fatigue I get due to connective tissue problems. It’s meant to be more of a writing and fidget tool, but after buying it because it’s a penguin- I realized that it’s a good journaling pen when I have a lot to write.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prettypenguin For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 9th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (April 9th, 2023), Scrawler (December 29th, 2023)

Thanks

set of three Hero 329 with "Star Trek" emblem hood inlay this month.
    Pen INK
    Black: Noodlers Black ink.
    Green: Noodlers Green Marine ink.
    Wine/Maroon: de Atrramentis Alexander Hamilton ink.

All have an extra fine nib, and are smooth writers. I especially like the Aerometric fill they have.
    I am not a fan of cartridges or converters. 😇

Don't see a button to add a photo. 🤨

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ugly Old Guy For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 9th, 2023), Cyril (July 23rd, 2023), forester (August 23rd, 2023), Lloyd (April 10th, 2023), Robalone (August 7th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (April 9th, 2023)

Thanks

My favorite Chinese Pen is Wing Sung 601 with a 14k golden dark nib.
    It's the cheapest golden fountain pen among the pen still produced nowadays I can find today. It only cost me 178.80 CNY (about 24.88 USD), with no postage.
    I use this pen almost every day.
    AE9669578D31BF0EA51034BCCFC3BDFD.jpg
    32758A1FA0CB7E5CB2299044845D6111.jpg
    Sorry for my pool English.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wold9168 For This Useful Post:

Robalone (August 7th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (September 1st, 2023), Scrawler (December 29th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    We are seeing new materials and more accurate machining methods making this kind of thing possible. Viberate I don't know how it will last but I am enjoying using it. The nib is very fine and behaves nicely.
    It's pretty awesome how they're using new materials and improved techniques for stuff like this.

Thanks

I can remember long time ago, back in my school years, I used a pen ( Chinese or Indian made I am not sure yet) . It is similar to the above pen. Name of the pen was "YOUTH"and we had many popular general pens as Pilot , Parker, Youth, etc.
    Now I know these Chinese knock-out pens were based on " Parker 51". This is a solid pen no doubt. I love Parker 51 and having a firm nib, it is a good pen to take quick notes and do daily writing.
    Last edited by Cyril; November 28th, 2023 at 06:46 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (August 23rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

WaltZucher the spammer adding links to Quoted posts again.....
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

calamus (September 2nd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (August 23rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I can remember long time age back in my school years, I used a pen ( Chinese or Indian made I am not sure yet) . It is similar to the above pen. Name of the pen was "YOUTH"and we had many popular general pens as Pilot , Parker, Youth, etc.
    Now I know these Chinese knock-out pens were based on " Parker 51". This is a solid pen no doubt. I love Parker 51 and having a firm nib, it is a good pen to take quick notes and do daily writing.
    There's a Hero Youth model that I have, from back in the good old isellpens day. Works well.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

calamus (September 2nd, 2023), Cyril (November 28th, 2023)

Thanks

I'm somewhat anti Chinese pens, but I recently got a Majohn V1.

I love it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dougc For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 5th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

I rarely use Chinese pens. Someone gave me a Jinhao once, but the plastic was so cheap that it cracked and came apart. Also, I don't like knockoffs, even if they're not being passed off as the original that they're cloning. It just seems tacky to me. That said, someone recently gave me a Nahvalur Nautilus, which I believe was made in China, and it has a very original and attractive design, is actually made of ebonite, writes well, and that pen I enjoy using.
    Last edited by calamus; August 31st, 2023 at 07:13 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 31st, 2023)

Thanks

About 12 years ago I bought this off eBay. I bought it because of the Jerusalem Cross on the cap and had the idea of giving it to a friend for whom this symbol has importance. This pen is comfortable to hold and writes very nicely. However I have not managed to find a converter to fit it. No cartridge fits easily. To use it I have refilled international cartridges that I have stretched the mouth on. I don't know who the manufacturer was and I have not seen another identical.

chipen.jpg

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

calamus (September 2nd, 2023), Cyril (November 28th, 2023), Zhivago (November 3rd, 2023)