Thread: Never get out of the boat... never get out of the boat... never get out of the boat..

Thanks

Default Never get out of the boat... never get out of the boat... never get out of the boat..

I was at the bank today and used their ballpoint to fill out the slip. The teller took her time with the transaction, looking back and forth at computer screens, squinting occasionally. Finally, she handed me the slip and said:

-- Sign this on the back now. Your signature doesn't look like it usually does.

-- Well, duh. I didn't use a 1950s German double broad, but a crappy bank ballpoint. Whaddya expect?

I didn't say that. Of course. I just did my best to reproduce the flow of my signature. She accepted the second signature and completed the transaction.

Never get out of the boat. Unless you're going all the way.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (August 5th, 2021), BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 6th, 2021), Chrissy (August 5th, 2021), CrayonAngelss (August 8th, 2021), jbb (November 20th, 2021), Kaputnik (August 9th, 2021), Robert (August 6th, 2021), Schaumburg_Swan (August 6th, 2021), TFarnon (November 21st, 2021), Yazeh (August 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Never get out of the boat... never get out of the boat... never get out of the bo

You didn't use the opportunity leave a Platinum Preppy and make a convert?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

Default Re: Never get out of the boat... never get out of the boat... never get out of the bo

Soennecken, Pelikan, or Montblanc BB, guyy?
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Soennecken, Pelikan, or Montblanc BB, guyy?
    Yes indeed, one of those.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    No, i don't proselytize.

What bugs me most about the episode was that there was a Lamy Al-Star in my shirt pocket. It's just that the ballpoint was right there, two inches from my right hand, so i grabbed it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,259 Posts

Well I just hope you sanitised well afterwards. Not just because you used a 'public' pen, but it wasn't a proper pen and you might find yourself with urges to get a bic or something...

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (August 5th, 2021), BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 6th, 2021), CrayonAngelss (August 8th, 2021), TFarnon (August 7th, 2021), Yazeh (August 7th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    No, i don't proselytize.

What bugs me most about the episode was that there was a Lamy Al-Star in my shirt pocket. It's just that the ballpoint was right there, two inches from my right hand, so i grabbed it.
    I had to sign the merchant copy of a receipt at the cafe today...ballpoint attached to a string, shifted out on top of the paper by the cashier. It felt ridiculous, but I reached into my pocket and pulled out my ever-ready Parker "51" aerometric in cocoa (F nib, Akkerman Treves Turquoise) and signed it.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 6th, 2021), Chrissy (August 5th, 2021), CrayonAngelss (August 8th, 2021), eachan (August 6th, 2021), manoeuver (August 6th, 2021), Pendragon (August 8th, 2021), Schaumburg_Swan (August 6th, 2021), Yazeh (August 7th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

And don’t take those bank ballpoints home. They tend to languish long enough for their thick ink to retract from the ball…then their fate is a wasteful one.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

I'm not sure we even have any reusable ballpoints on string around anywhere now since Covid. I wouldn't touch one anyway.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 6th, 2021), PenInvestigations (November 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm not sure we even have any reusable ballpoints on string around anywhere now since Covid. I wouldn't touch one anyway.
    +1 That's why I always have a Pilot Metro fine nib (western extra-fine) filled with whatever blue ink choice of the week is for.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

15. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 6th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    + 2 So I can sign credit card receipts, I've been carrying the Waterman rollerball pen my coworkers gave me when I was promoted in 2006. In addition to my MB 145, and 146 filled with Lucky Orange ink.

The Waterman rollerball refills are less expensive than refills for the Montblanc rollerball, and they last longer.

Thanks, @JungleJim for inspiring me to start using blue refills in the rollerball.

---------------------------------

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war,’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - author Chris Wright
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; August 6th, 2021 at 01:32 PM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Be sure to not use any blue Mb RB refills that are called Barbados Blue but might lean towards a Barbados sea blue colour.
    I was once stopped at Atlanta by a US immigration official who ripped up my immigration form and told me to write it out again in blue or black ink.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 7th, 2021), CoffeeForTheAdmiral (November 29th, 2021), Yazeh (August 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered some Monteverde RB refills for the Montblanc, two bucks less than the Montblanc brand name refills.

Both the MV and Waterman refills are regular blue.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    No, i don't proselytize.

Wait a minute... you got the ballpoint to work? I hope you bought a lottery ticket afterwards. I always found ballpoints hard-to-start, often skipping, and rather leaky.

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I had to sign the merchant copy of a receipt at the cafe today...ballpoint attached to a string, shifted out on top of the paper by the cashier. It felt ridiculous, but I reached into my pocket and pulled out my ever-ready Parker "51" aerometric in cocoa (F nib, Akkerman Treves Turquoise) and signed it.
    Just because the cashier did not say anything doesn't mean your pen went unnoticed. Prior to getting started with fountain pens almost 15 years ago, I did not realize they were still being sold or used. Many people, perhaps most, are in the same boat. If the cashier, or anyone else who saw you using a fountain pen, looks for more information on that cool looking pen, they will have potentially discovered something new and useful.
    Last edited by Pendragon; August 8th, 2021 at 10:36 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pendragon For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matiasjohans View Post
    Wow, it's not a yacht. It's some kind of spaceship. Unfortunately, I have never seen a boat in my life that is not so cool, so for me at the moment, and it is something out of the ordinary. I like to rent a yacht and go out with my family and friends somewhere to travel, visit some places, fish and have a fantastic time in my company. But here is such a yacht I have not, So it will be cool if there will be an opportunity to rent this boat and take a ride on it. But so far, I am satisfied with the yachts I use. After all, we very often use our friends and family boat rentals miami. And we are okay with it.
    THEY'RE BACK!

Thanks

Spam reported.