Thread: Pelikan 140 from Serbia... Genuine?

Thanks

Default Pelikan 140 from Serbia... Genuine?

I am looking for a Pelikan 140 and see several listed on E-Bay from Serbia, Hungary, etc. I am wondering if they are genuine or fake? I am relatively new to Fountain pens but suspect there is a counterfeit market out there in regard to some pens. Anyone had experience purchasing one of these Pelikan 140 pens? Thanks.

Thanks

Default Re: Pelikan 140 from Serbia... Genuine?

I've bought vintage Pelikans & other pens from what is perhaps one of your etc. places, namely Poland. They're fine.

There have been counterfeit pens, but why bother faking a relatively cheap piston filler? It's more trouble than it's worth, especially when you consider that someone with the chops to pull it off could probably be counterfeiting pricier pens -- or not counterfeiting and selling their own pens.

Study Pelikans before you buy. Know what they're supposed to look like and be sure you see what you need to see in the auction photos. If you're still anxious, don't buy from places/sellers that make you nervous.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,778 Times in 1,422 Posts

I have seen many frankenpens from Serbia, Croatia, Romania etc...but never real fakes.

What makes you think that the pen could be not authentic? Maybe a picture could help.

Thanks

I guess you think they must be fake because of biases. I live relatively close in the region and I can tell you that Pelikan is extremely common in this part of the world; I'd say it's the most available and recognized stationery brand here. My first fountain pen was Jolly, another brand that is extremely common here, and second one was a Pelikan.

Just check that the nib is indeed a Pelikan, I've seen nibs swapped out for example in pens where the old nib failed.

Edit: come to think of it, the only brands that were available here were actually Pelikan, Jolly and Parker.
    Last edited by adhoc; August 6th, 2021 at 04:01 AM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Al Jones (August 6th, 2021), eachan (August 15th, 2021), guyy (August 6th, 2021)

Thanks

I have not chosen a specific pen yet. The selection seems more robust and the prices seem appreciably lower than some other locations. I would have thought Germany would have had the most offerings. However, I am only basing this off of E-Bay listings.

Thanks

Some of the best restored vintage Pelikans i have seen came from Zagreb, Croatia. Long ago, Pelikan had offices and distributors all over Europe. I have also had good luck in flea markets and antiques shops for older Pelikans and Montblancs in Bulgaria. Good luck with your hunt.
    Last edited by Barry B. Gabay; August 15th, 2021 at 08:43 AM. Reason: additional information